3-D TVs: RIP?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Workshed, Jan 7, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, with a direct contrast. But with the bulk of films it doesn't matter if it was in color or not. Again people still paid to see B&W movies, even after Wizard of Oz, or Spellbound or High and Low came out. It took until the 70's before it became normal for everything to be in color. B&W TV's were still being sold in the 80's. Hell you might as well call most modern films chromatic or tinted they use such intense filters there's hardly anything else on the spectrum left. That's what color has brought to modern films, orange or blue (not at the same time mind you, one or the other).

The point is that color has become expected and natural even in perfectly average to below average films. There will come a day when every film comes out in 3D and most modern viewers will be left scratching their heads wondering why this rogue director wants to go "old school" and shoot in 2D.

Eventually a holodeck will become the norm and people will wonder how people could stare at a single plane. That's progress.

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

My next set will be 3-D. There have been many times in the past year that I have almost bought a large 3-D set, but I just cannot justify the expense. I hope it does not die out...

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

There needs to be better content. I have over 400 blu-ray's. Six of them are 3D. I recently watched Saw: The Final Chapter in 3D. While no means is this film any more or less enjoyable than the others in the series, the 3D makes the overall experience more fun. I am shocked that the Robocop reboot/remake isn't in 3D.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The only reason I'm not 3D capable right now is because I bought a regular blu ray player probably 3 months before I bought my 3D plasma. Now I'm simply waiting for the time when my player dies so I can upgrade. Another thing that's holding me back is that the glasses for the set are roughly $50/piece and I would need 4 of them.

5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Is there any quality difference between active and passive home 3D? Expensive battery-powered glasses have less than zero interest for me. I can't even fathom why they exist if the other option is available.

6. maybrick

Passive only does 3D in 720p. Active will do the full 1080p, although at a normal viewing distance passive looks fine.

7. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Oh that sucks. Why is that?

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I thought it effectively cut the resolution in half to 540p. Regardless, I own a passive and can attest that every 3D blu-ray I have watched looks great. It is hard to tell the difference from the 1080p 2D image.

9. maybrick

You're right. It is only 540. I forgot.

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Here we are, three years later, and...?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/3d-tv-is-dead-2017-1?r=US&IR=T
    Thoughts?

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I own 30 3D blu-ray's including the excellent fan made Friday the 13th Part 3. I can't say this surprised me. I purchased a Samsung 4K/3D TV when I saw that they were going to stop production. When 3D works, it's a lot of fun. I hope 3D blu-ray's for upcoming films will still be produced.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I really wanted to get a 3D TV for Jaws 3. Like really really really bad. But that's the only movie I have in true 3D (oh and Amityville 3D in the SF boxset. But that movie blows). I always thought of 3D as a cheap ass gimmick so....pass.

~Matt

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats a bummer. i got a 3D tv a little over a year ago, and while we only use the 3D function rarely, when we do, it's a lot of fun! it's allowed me to watch movies like Dial M for Murder, Jaws 3, and House of Wax in 3D. i never really thought i'd get that chance. also, my daughter loves to watch things like Zootopia or Finding Dory or The Lego Movie in 3D. I'm glad i have one. if any part of my 3D set up broke (player, tv, glasses), i'd want to replace it. i couldn't just give it up. it would be like if my region free player broke. suddenly a whole bunch of my discs would stop having the same level of functionality.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm glad that a specific technology will not be used anymore. Always kinda disheartening when they retire a piece of tech. But I am glad I didn't spend the money to buy one of the TV's, Blu-Ray machines, or one of those outrageous priced 3D Blu-rays.

But let's face it, it was always a gimmick. Like the "curved screens". Anytime there is a 3D movie out, I always go to the 2D version. So why would I want that in my home?(This is obviously an opinion for my personal tastes) Only 3D movie I seen in the theaters(last 20 years) was Avatar. I don't think there was even a choice. It was built totally to be a 3D experience.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  15. Dave

Dave Pimp

There must have been millions of 3d tvs produced. I'm sure there will be no shortage on the used market for many years to come.

Myron Breck likes this.
  16. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I thought 3D was much more fun and useful for people who used a projector type of home theater set-up. When you have a big screen it makes a huge difference as opposed to watching it on a TV. I had no desire to ever buy a 3D TV, but with my projector being 3D capable I checked some movies out and it is fun and gives a nice alternative experience. It can really add to a movie gimmicky fun or nice depth or whatever. I hope they continue to be available but overall with the higher price point for the movies and the extra glasses needed, it really limits itself.

17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I never had much of an interest in a 3D television. I've enjoyed a bunch of flicks at the theaters in 3D, but a massive screen is obviously a much better 3d experience with the biggest television set you can buy.

18. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Don't have a 3D TV and I don't want one. It's nothing but a gimmick. I always hated going to 3D movies anyway, so it's no loss to me.

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Just squint and stare at this for an extended period, Matt.

[​IMG]

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

I agree it's a gimmick but I have loved it since I was a kid. Honestly I'm thankful we got so many great/fun flicks on 3D bluray. Bummer no Friday the 13th but can't get it all I guess. I'm sure there will still be some 3D blu releases for a few years to come. Plus aren't there are lot of overseas 3D bluray release? Like Disney stopped 3D bluray (outside of comic flicks) in the US but they are still released in 3D blu overseas?

Anyway, not a huge deal for me either way. I'll continue to happily enjoy the catalog I have.

othervoice1 likes this.