3-D TVs: RIP?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Workshed, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jsonthegreat

jsonthegreat New Member

The fan recreation you are referring to, is it the one I put together (The JsonTheGr8 Reconstruction) or is there another one floating around?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoy my 3D-TV, which uses "Active" 3D (Sony), but I don't always buy a 3-D release. It really comes down to how much more the price is, and if the movie is really "great" enough to bother with it, and of course what the reviews of the 3-D release tend to say. If it's a well done 3-D film (or conversion) it can look stunning, but many 3-D Blu-ray releases just aren't all that spectacular when compared to the 2-D edition.

If I had a "Passive" 3-D TV, I would probably bother with 3-D releases even less since the vertical resolution is cut down by half via that method.

I perhaps own around 25 3-D Blu-ray releases, and some of those were only released with the 3-D version included...such as "Comin' at Ya!" or "House of Wax 3D" for instance.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm not really sure.

4. jsonthegreat

jsonthegreat New Member

If it's the one I did it would say "JsonTheGr8 Reconstruction" below the title. Just curious because if there is another one out there, I'd love to check it out and perhaps use it to improve upon the one I did.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

How have you been on this site for 4 years, and have only two posts--both in this thread? Like, how did you even find this thread and decide it was worthy?

[​IMG]

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

While this is technically true, and your feelings regarding the 540p picture, I'll be damned if it doesn't look great by my eyes. Unless you are sitting a mere few feet away and a staunch videophile, you are hard pressed to notice the picture is not truly 1080p. I certainly wouldn't have known this if I didn't read up on it first. I've had 2 passive sets for a few years now and not once did any friend or family member question the sharpness or details during a 3D presentation. I'm curious if you have had the opportunity to watch a full film in passive.

http://www.techhive.com/article/239599/do_passive_3d_tvs_trade_quality_for_comfort_.html

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've watched a 3D movie on a passive set before, and it did still look good, albeit with noticable Interlacing issues and much poorer contrast in 3D. I think part of the problem is that many people don't realize they can calibrate the 3D setting on their sets, and just use the factory defaults, which can cause a big difference. If a passive set is properly calibrated, it could even look better over an uncalibrated active display.

Also a cheap TV with active technology just won't cut it. That's why it's usually the more expensive sets that offer active...they really need a pro display with upper tier technology. If not, you're going to get crosstalk and more garbage come through. In those cases, a passive set would probably be better.

9. Stige

Stige Active Member

I bought a New 4k LG with passive ( knew it wad dissapearing and jumped to get one before they dissapeared) and the 3D wad Great compared to my active samsung from years earlier. Don't know if the higher resolution made it so.

othervoice1 likes this.
  10. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

What was the model #? I’m planning on going 4K but it needs to have 3D for me to get it and I know they are disappearing.

11. Stige

Stige Active Member

LG UH850 VAEN