Arrow Releasing Demons & Demons 2 On Blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by SaviniFan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Im stoked as well. Just too bad they wouldnt pay Bobby Rhodes for his participation in the special features.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Very happy about this. Bobby Rhodes IS Demons. Heart and soul. He should have been a focal point in the extras. But hey, Demons 1 and 2 on Blu! Very exciting.

5. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Hell. Yes!!! This and the Universal Monsters blu-ray set are easily my most anticipated of the year.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

These were also mentioned in this thread back in October. I've had them on pre-order for several months now.

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I have these on pre-order as well, but I am really weary about getting these given Arrow's sub-par euro-transfers.

Are any of Arrow's Argento titles worth picking up?...or should one just wait for the North American releases?...specifically for Phenomena or Tenebre?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Dear Lord, anybody waiting for Anchor Bay to release Demons on Bluray will have a really loooong wait (if they even still have the rights, that is). Same thing with the Argento's. BU put out a couple of them but they don't have the rights all of Argento's films. Arrow's Blu's will hold me over until something better comes along (if ever).

9. Chomp

I can also be content with my DVD's being upscaled if that's going to be the better option picture quality wise. I don't need to have the blu rays if the upgrade isn't worth it in the transfer department.

10. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I can advise you to pick Phenomena... while little DNR was put into the picture, it is never intrusive and the whole picture is gourgeous.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/phenomena.htm

About Cat O´Nine Tales, the picture is almost on the same level as BU, but with better extras.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews50/cat_o_nine_tales.htm

While on the UK market, I advise you to pick Shameless release of Four Flies. While this is the only edition so far, it is very good looking.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews44/4_flies_on_grey_velvet.htm

Just avoid Tenebrae (French release is always the best option) and Bird with the Crystal Plumage, BU while out-of-print is the best option (I know you already bought one from a seller). :D

Tenebrae (Arrow UK)
    [​IMG]

Tenebrae (Wild Side France)
    [​IMG]

Tenebrae (Arrow UK)
    [​IMG]

Tenebrae (Wild Side France)
    [​IMG]

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

12. Chomp

Cool, thanks. I was definitely considering Phenomena as I've read mainly semi-positive reviews. I'll definitely hold off on Tenebre and I have just recently purchased Four Flies along with BU's BWTCP. That's why I am kinda on an Argento kick right now.

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Then pick up the french Tenebrae blu-ray... it´s the best Argento HD so far in the picture department.

14. sinister

sinister Active Member

The brightness level in some scenes on the Arrow Phenomena Blu-ray is all wrong... some night scenes actually look almost like day, it's really that bad. The contrast problems on Suspiria were bad in a few spots, but Phenomena is worse overall as it affects more scenes.

I was gonna order the French Tenebrae (the Arrow release is terrible, easily the worst Blu-ray transfer I've ever seen) but I read that the French subs can't be disabled if you select the English soundtrack?

I'll be replacing all 3 of those Argento BD's as soon as better versions are available.

The Arrow Inferno is fine, even though some of the screenshots I've seen of newer versions look slightly better, I'm happy with the Arrow version and don't plan to upgrade that one.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Like I said earlier, while Phenomena´s not a perfect print I didn´t think it was a bad transfer... not excellent but good. I think you are too negative on Phenomena´s transfer and to me It never looked the way you´re painting it... that´s my opinion, but I respect yours.

Yes, subs on the french release of Tenebrae are forced on the English and Italian track but they can be easily disabled on a computer and on certain players... my PC and my Denon can disable them, while my PS3 can´t.

While I have the Arrow version of Inferno, and considered it a good transfer overall, I think Phenomena´s transfer is way better by comparison... Again I must stress that this is only my opinion, and I respect others.

On Arrow´s Inferno, I think the BU is way better, and color palette is also way different. I own both Blu-Rays of Inferno, and while I prefer the sharpness and contrast of the BU version, I don´t favour any print in terms of color... it´s a matter of taste. I already pre-ordered Camero Obscura´s Inferno release, and from the images I´ve seen, it has more image information in all four sides (like the italian DVD) and the color seems to be on par with the BU version, but I only saw 3 screen so I can´t comment on that edition yet.... what can I say, I´m a sucker for Inferno... 3 DVDs and 3 blu-rays... :D

16. sinister

sinister Active Member

Interesting, thanks, I think I'll give that a try and order the French disc as I haven't heard anything about any other version in the pipeline. I can probably hack the firmware on my Oppo player if it comes to that, to force the subs off anyway.

And yeah, opinions on specific disc transfers are very subjective, it's good to hear everyones view.

17. killit

killit Active Member

Best place for us customers to order? Amazon has a good price on 2 but 1is kinda pricey

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Noticed that, also. That's why I held off so far.

19. maniac666

maniac666 New Member

20. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The best place for US customers to get UK releases is Amazon UK. The shipping usually costs the same as domestic and gets here almost as fast (usually...) + the price you see on the site will get reduced when you specify to ship to North America because VAT is removed from the prices for us. It will cost only 29.05GBP ($45.72) for both after shipping from Amazon UK.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012