Beyond The Darkness Blu-ray: 7/27/10

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zombi3, Mar 29, 2010.

1. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

and never answering consumer questions .

i asked them on their official facebook page on april 21st why the tokyo gore police/machine girl blu-rays were only one disc instead of two it advertises on the back of the case and various retailers and on the 25th i got this response :"Im sorry but I will make an official post soon. " 3 weeks later nothing ...wtf

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's a given. They have the worst customer service in history, bar none. Never once have they replied to my emails (etc...) regarding their defective discs. i.e. Hell High and Warlock Moon

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

My "Beyond the Darkness" disc was shipped from "cduniverse.com" today :)

Hope to have it before the weekend!

4. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

Mine was shipped today from CD Universe.

5. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

It does exist!! I received my BluRay today from CD Universe. I have only been able to spot check my disc and first impressions are the picture quality is not really that good. Also, the audio doesn't start right away, it's a delayed a couple of seconds as the van approaches in the opening credits. On the DVD, the opening music starts immediately. The first credit text (a D.R. Mass Communications production) jumps a few times while on the screen. There are also a few shots during the credit sequence that look worse than the DVD, the color is blown out. At about 15-18 seconds, this is very noticeable.

6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I got my copy today in the mail too, watching it right now, I'm at the chunky drum tobacco, pot head/hitchhiker scene :glasses: I agree with the very opening...mint green washy lighting happening through windows (showing in text too), jumpy credits, delayed audio in the beginning, etc...but to me they looked like film blemishes, organic patina. It does start looking better very soon though, with a nice level of depth & detail...all with a nice, film-like sheen of grain. None of the jagged facial smearing the dvd had...blows it away. I like the new blu transfer a lot! :banana:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Awesome! Where's mine!!!!

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Anyone notice out of sync audio aside from in the credits? I was just jumping around on the disc and at a little over 13 minutes in (the scene with Frank and Iris after his girlfriend dies in the hospital) you can see the lips move before you hear what they're saying but on the DVD it seems a lot more in sync. It's fairly minor and doesn't seem to happen in the later scenes I jumped to (or the one before it) but I'll watch the whole thing sometime soon. It's definitely nice otherwise though.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  9. DolphC

DolphC New Member

Buio Omega is cut! Only 5 minutes in and there is already 25 seconds missing. This is on top of the major audio problems, silly and massive windowboxing of the opening credits, and improper 1.78 framing. Another botch job from our buddies over at MB. And as I mention in the link below, I'm just past the five minute mark.

For more info, and those who are interested:

http://midnight-legacy.blogspot.com/

10. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

i ordered mine off ebay and got it today. the bluray was loose and had fingerprints on it but nothing major

11. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

Some interesting talk about how the BluRay is cut over at BluRay.com. The discussion is between Dolph from Midnight Legacy and John Sirabella from Media Blasters. It starts with post #134.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...t-beyond-darkness-arrives-may-3-2011-a-7.html

I know Dolph doesn't have the best reputation from some of his previous actions, which is for another discussion. But I tend to agree with him on this cut issue.

12. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

With all of the bad blood between those two, it's hard to tell who's more in the right. I tend to believe Sirabella that it was a different opening on the print that was used (obviously, since it has Beyond the Darkness as the title; not sure why Dolph is so up in arms about him using something other than the ORIGINAL 16mm print from 1981. Companies do things like that all the time for obscure old flicks since the originals are generally in bad shape), but at the very least they should have included the opening that's on the DVD as an extra on the Blu, even in SD. They had a year to get this ready, all bases should have been covered to avoid shit like this. These types of things should be explained on the Blu itself with an on-screen text card, it shouldn't be explained in forums.

13. DolphC

DolphC New Member

I understand your position, and if it were a different opening, I wouldn't take the stance I have. The fact is, that the cut occurs after the opening, and has NOTHING to do with "alternate credit rolls (As I have mentioned many places, two openings exist, black with white credits, and the correct version of Frank driving to pick-up the animal). The correct opening is indeed on the BD, but the cut follows at about the 5:17 mark.

It has nothing to do with "alternate" openings, more along ther lines of calling missing footage, "alternate" so as to sidestep the fact that footage found in ALL pervious versions is now not here.

I'm sure some will rationalize that it doesn't matter, but as one of my favorite films, I'm not happy about.

Dolph

14. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Checked my disc and it is in fact cut. It's missing the scene where Frank parks the van and unloads the crate with the dead monkey. On the Blu, it cuts from the long shot of the van driving into the garage to the shot inside the house when he puts the light on.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

How many YEARS has John Sirabella been doing this now?

Seriously, this is a Shriek Show 2002-era mistake. He seems to have known about the difference before Dolph brought it to his attention, so how did he not think that this was going to be an issue? He's certainly caught enough flack over the years to realize that fans consider missing footage to be missing footage, whether it's gore, dialogue or exposition.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

So, it's confirmed as: "cut, improperly framed, and has significant audio issues" ??

Well, I won't be buying it then.

This is Media Blasters, so there will be no recall. They may possibly fix it...but I'm sure it'll be silently reissued just as they've always done in the past with such botched releases. I've already had to REBUY two of their fucked up releases in the past just to get the corrected discs. Media Blasters sucketh.

17. Terry44

Terry44 Member

Werewolf woman dvd rings a bell here

18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

So DVD Pacific has this in stock but still haven't sent me a notice that the order was shipped. Guess I'm going to have to contact them.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Alternate Versions from IMDB:

"The Dutch video version titled Beyond The Darkness contains several changes from the US version titled Buried Alive. Opening credits run over black with the main theme in the soundtrack as opposed to the US version in which the credits run over a scene of Frank picking up the corpse of a baboon from a friend.

A scene of Frank picking up a girl in a disco near the end of the film was cut in the US version.

A scene of a strange old woman yelling ominous phrases at Frank and his date outside the disco was cut in the US version. A scene of one of the undertaker's failed attempt to spy on Frank at his house is cut in the US version.

The austrian Cassette called Blutiger Wahnsinn is one of the two full uncut versions with german language. The Film was copied from the france master, so the old title Sado-Stoss das Tor zur Hölle auf is missing in the pre-credits."

So the BD is just from a diffrent version of the movie, compared to the US DVD.

20. ian

ian Member

Some screen caps and a DVD comparison here.