Deadgirl (2008)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Caught up to this film at a Midnight Madness screening on Saturday night.

It's about a couple of nigh school kids who decide to go drinking in an abandoned Mental institution and discover a nude girl in the basement who appears to be dead tied up on a table. They soon discover that she's some kind of zombie so one of of them wants to make her thier sex slave.

It's a pretty whacked out concept that I can best describe as the River's edge/The Girl next Door with a zombie.

I actually really enjoyed this one, The acting was well done and characters really engaging despite some really fucked up behavior. I just enjoyed the craziness of it all . I found myself dreading but at the same time intrigued by what would happen next.

Did anyone else check it out over the weekend

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I was waiting for you to post this. Going to Martyrs as well I assume?

I totally agree with this review. I know various others who just did not like the story. I myself thought it was definitely worth at least one viewing. Very depraved but amusing overall in its concept and execution. Even the white trash characters grew on my eventually. I am glad the writer got this made. I'd say it is pretty original. A good indicator that horror has not totally run out of ideas yet.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Oh yes I will be there Wed Night. Really looking for to that. Jovanka Vuckovic the Rue Morgue Editor-In-Chief saw it and said "It's fucking amazing" . So I'm trying to keep my anticipation in check.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Not a comedy. I think the humor lies in the fact that it is so twisted and ethically challenging.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

:lol: Okay, so I'm a lazy fuck and missed these posts.

Anyway, comparisons to RIVER'S EDGE and THE GIRL NEXT DOOR pretty much make this a must-see for moi.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Perfect, absolutely perfect and the answer I hoped to hear. Now I want to see it even more. Thanks for the info.

That's what had my interest piqued too. 2 flicks that couldn't be more un-alike, except that I love both of them. I'm still waiting for a SE of River's Edge. That and constant showings on cable are the only reason I don't own it already.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This is one FUCKED UP film!!

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I'd love to see a SE of River's Edge too - I love the movie, and love it even more for Slayer on the soundtrack :)

10. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Saw this last night - what a powerful movie! Comparisons to River's Edge and The Girl Next Door are right on the money.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I haven't seen this yet, but does anyone know the differences between the regular DVD and the director's cut DVD?

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Holy Shit. This was such a great ride! Had some genuinely unexpected moments
    the jock literally shitting his guts out and the badass chick at the gas station
    along with some fairly obvious living dead cliches that can hardly be avoided at this point. I really cannot recommend this enough to those who can stomach it.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I watched this the other day. If one can get past the questionable character decisions that the story is built around, this is a very effective film. I thought I would have a harder time buying into it, but I really had no problem at all. The characters were strong enough to sell me on it. The guy playing J.T. was terrific. It's his show through and through.

Aside from all that, this film is delightfully warped. The very premise of a zombie sex slave, but also taking it further with
    things like wanting to use oozing bullet wounds for sexual pleasure, putting a magazine pic over the deadgirl's face after she's been beaten to a pulp and the high school stud shitting out his intestines, followed by a shot of him crawling along as they hang from his ass.
    Great use of music too, and the film certainly looks better than it's budget. Really happy that I bought this one.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

this was really good a great blind buy purchase though some of the gore footage scenes cuts away too quick though for a minute i thought i had the r-rated version but i realized those quick shots were for having u think about grisly aftermath

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  15. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Any Canadians see this in stores? Something has caused a delay with this release here, I think.:confused:

16. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

From the blog:

"In answer to the question: The reason both the Unrated and the R-rated versions of Deadgirl are listed at 101 minutes is that nothing was simply cut out to get the R. Not surprisingly, the MPAA felt a couple of scenes went too far. But instead of just removing the shots in question, we worked to either replace with alternate footage or digitally tweak the the original material. It was important to us that the scenes play out as intended, hopefully without feeling different.

The other difference is the bonus material. I don't believe the R version has the commentary, the fx photo gallery, the deleted scenes, etc"

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

What a great way to get around cutting scenes out. I'm glad so many here liked this film. No one I know enjoyed it, except for me.

18. philxus

philxus New Member

DEADGIRL & MARTYRS Two of the most sickest film i seen in a while, Both movies are AWESOME!!:evil:

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

It was a great week!

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

A huge surprise for sure. This was sick, twisted and very disturbing. A top notch cast as well.

One of the best horror films I've seen this year.