Don't Go in the Woods to be released in the UK via 88 Films

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 15, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

http://www.88films.co.uk/blog.html

2. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Code Red will beat this. In content, release date & transfer quality.

3. zbinks

I'm not sure if Code Red still has the rights to this film or not.

4. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I could be wrong. But Code Red plays games...I expect un-peeped surprises. The 88 films/Code Red is forming an upcoming release pattern/connection. It's sure looking as though they do...but 88 films get's all the news coverage. If not, I'll go region free if needed just to see this one. But meanwhile, I'm just going to keep checking Code Red's cartel daily & nightly.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yup.

6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Or, I could be right. 88 films has how many exclusives?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Uh... ok... what's this release pattern/connection you are talking about? Neither company has released any of the same releases or has any connection... other than they both release DVDs and Blu-rays. And as mentioned, his contract with Don't Go could be run out.

The only reason Code Red plays games is because that's Bill's one and only tactic to get people to buy his stuff.

8. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Historically, no. But yesterday Unhinged & DGitW were announced by 88. Both Code Red releases. A member here said Code Red may have an expired contract on Woods. That info is from a customer and is speculation. They've released 2 dvds...special edition full frame and double feature (with The Forest) 16x9 widescreen...which sucked btw. The only direction they'd go is blu-ray, and 88 films seems to be more interested in releasing other folks properties. To say 88 Films landed DGitW's rights and have produced the release themselves sounds far more exaggerated than my guesses.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Doesn't mean they are licensing the films from Code Red though, it's more likely/accurate that they are signing licenses with the rights owners as most distributors do. Again, this is speculation, but also the norm when it comes to distribution, Code Red probably does have only the US or North American market. The licensor, to make more money potentially, will license separate territories for a property. And to use your quote, "releases other folks properties", that is the definition of a distributor (such as Code Red or 88 Films). And as to the transfers it all depends on the contract. Sometimes a master is already made by the licensor, other times it's free reign for the distributor to use what ever materials they can come across.

10. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

It's a varied business, and a cottage industry. A German company has already released a DVD of DGitW. It used code red's transfer (earlier, cruder version) and many of their extras. It eliminated the soundtrack score on the English language version. And code red was a huge part of that import's release. I look at 88 films as a piggyback company... much like the above mentioned german company. To say they've gone on their own and are producing an independent release to other labels work (like code red & synapse does). I just have trouble seeing that. But you never know....if that's the case, I'll go region free for blu-ray. I really don't think I'll have to though.
    This is coming from code red!!!

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The German company was bootleggers, and have ripped a few of Code Red´s discs.
    88 Films has not.
    They are also releasing Troma movies like Toxic Avanger and Graduation Day and a huge bunch of Full Moon movies.
    Even if a company has the rights for a US release, doesn´t mean that they can hold the movie hostage and not let a European company buy the rights to release that same movie over here.

MANY labels around the world releases their own versions of the exact same movies, and many of them either share the same transfers and extras, or they have an exclusive transfer etc.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Why does a legit company like 88Film wants to have something to do with a company like Code Red???

Given Code Red´s owner´s history of compulsive disorder problems, would any company wants their name affiliated with Code Red´s? Dont´think so...

13. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Lol, code red is good enough for scream factory, but not 88? 88's already got scorpion's label under their belt. And even troma & full moon for christsakes. I don't think any of their releases rely on fan love of the particular label's chief. All their stuff is their own.
    The German lease was 100% legit and got released before code red's did. Shorter versions of interviews, etc. It was talked about on this forum years ago by brad comfort, bill....or to ever is truly code red. You speak of the CR label like it's not established in the community.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  14. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Global rights vary by each title. Sometimes its a person. Such as nail gun massacre. Maybe James Bryan owns dgitw? Damned if I know. But without a doubt an american blu release is going to happen. Scorpion or Code Red will be the label.
    That's my prediction. Watch it happen.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

If you read my post carefully, you will noticed that I never said Code Red wasn´t good enough for 88Films, or that that I never said Code Red was not established.

First, Code Red and Scorpion are only distributors, but Troma and Full Moon are also the producers behind their movies.

If 88Films released something that Core Red or Scorpion already released, that doesn´t mean that both companies are involved with that particular release of with 88Films. On the other hand, if 88Films release something from Troma or Full Moon, that´s entirely the opposite as they are also the producers of said movie.

16. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

You really think that I can't tell the difference between a film production company and a home video distribution company? Oh, whatevs. No hard feelings. But sometimes distributors hold the key until their contract runs out. And sometimes distributers work hard and make their own unique and special release...not just put out there what their given. And they themselves, the distributers, handle international affairs...or just go code free. These things are tightening up these days. And yes, distributors swap titles and join forces...and production houses use them. Frankly, I don't have the time to keep up with it all, but realize times are changing.
    Now with 88Films new, more complete slasher lineup announced. I'm steering to the possibility of Vinegar Syndrome releasing DGitW. Naw, Code Red!! I'm not ashamed to eat my words. I just want DGitW on blu-ray!

17. zbinks

18. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Why does it say #2 and what is #1?

19. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Graduation Day maybe? Did their release of Bloody Birthday have a spine number?

20. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Can't say I'm wild about the Facebook/Instagram-ish colorway. But a nice cover just the same. There's a pic of 4 covers in a thread below. Can't make out numbers that well, only 2 seem to have them, with Unhinged looking like #00. It's all so weird. I smell maybe 88Films is actually a Euro spin off label from Code Red & Scorpion themselves. Sneaky little...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014