Dorado Films Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Angelman, Nov 29, 2016.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Seems like every Dorado release is experiencing delays. I pre-ordered the Larraz double feature back in April & the Franco Forgotten Films Volume 2 in June. I've purchased a number of their titles & appreciate that they are releasing some more obscure films - but between all of the ongoing delays, the inability to improve the quality of their Blu-rays, & the high prices - Dorado can be a frustrating label to support as a collector.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have the same timeline as you. It seems that if you want obscure titles you have to wait. It's been nearly a year since the Indiegogo campaign for Lady Frankenstein and Death Laid an Egg. Even Arrow's The Thing I pre-ordered on July 14th. It may not be late but that still means some four months from time of order to getting the movie in my hand. Like me, it seems that you order enough titles to hold you over while waiting for the delayed items.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

It's true. I do purchase enough titles to hold me over which sometimes amounts to a backlog. Also a valid point that more obscure catalog titles can require additional time for restoration & making it presentable, not to mention some challenges in getting the participation of cast or crew to talk about older films on supplemental features. I am not giving up on Dorado. To clarify - I would just like to see them do better. They are newer to the Blu-ray market, but improvements can be made in different areas.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

More delays...

https://www.facebook.com/DoradoFilms/posts/10156041461585809

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Another Larraz update:

6. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i have the Larraz double bill ordered too

personally i can stomach the wait, but i've heard from other releases they have done that the quality isn't the same as what Arrow/Vinegar Syndrome/... do and in some cases reports of discs not being read properly from time to time

i hope that this release will be of high quality and robust technical make because otherwise it will immediately be the final time i order from them, enough companies out there who are at the top of their game

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

More drama from Dorado. This was a Facebook reply from yesterday regarding the Larraz set.

[​IMG]

russweiss likes this.
  8. hellraiser40

there are 2 possible outcomes about the Larraz double bill

1) it's going to be their best release ever, defying expectations
    2) it's going to be one of the biggest pieces of shit ever conceived on Blu-Ray

there can be no middle ground

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's a double bill, so let us compromise:
    1) one movie will be their best presentation ever, defying expectations
    2) one movie will be the biggest piece of shit presentation ever conceived on Blu-ray

Having seen neither film, and only just now looked them up on IMDb from my armchair, I can say with confidence that I demand Emma, puertas oscuras (1974) be the former and Estigma (1980) be the latter. Even if Emma is 0.1 different in ranking to its detriment on IMDb, I consider it to be misunderstood and more deserving of the better presentation to prove to the world that it is the better film. Plus it has "sexy" in its plot description.

And that you are literally Hitler with a mullet if you disagree with which film should be which.

10. hellraiser40

i actually haven't seen any of these films and i made the order at a time when i just had seen the director's film Symptoms, so atm I don't really care, though I hope BOTH will be amazing in every way :)

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

After missing seven weeks with the flu, Rick from Dorado posted a second update. Very likely that the next update will be yet another delay...

12. hellraiser40

i pre-ordered the Larraz set on 6th of April last year, let's see if we can extend the waiting period to 1 year :p

to be honest, the delay doesn't anger me, from their explanation (assuming it's true), it's not their fault

as long as the quality will be at the least 'very good'!

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

If this were any other company, I would be annoyed. But no one is lining up to release deep cut Franco. I can wait.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I considered cancelling my orders of Larraz & Franco Volume 2, but changed my mind. It's true that there aren't other labels eager to release some of these titles. Still, the endless delays are frustrating and some of the excuses sound a bit phony.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It sounds silly at first, but I'm guessing "seven weeks of the flu" is not the flu but something a little more serious. "Flu" is just short hand for they had a medical issue with flu like symptoms.

A lot of this hand wringing would be solved by announcing the pre-order when the mastering is complete and the final order is in with the pressing planet.

Trouble is that for small companies like Dorado, they don't have the upfront cash required to begin projects because past projects are not immediate returns on investments. A release may take years to recoup costs, if ever. And with their small inventory that makes for a trickle of a cash flow.

So early pre-orders is the cash infusion they need to make development possible. Development. What these buyers who pay those pre-orders don't seem to appreciate (and mostly this is the distributor's fault for not expressing it clearly for fear of lack of participation) is that you are essentially investing in a release. Not buying. Investing. As such, like any investment, there may be delays in the pipeline before you see any return on your investment (i.e. a physical disc).

So this is more like a Kickstarter than a pre-order at Amazon. If Dorado were being honest they shouldn't even use the words "pre-order" but invest instead. Course when you use the word "invest" people then even feel more like they own you. Which 50 bucks ain't gonna do frankly. Put up $50,000 and then you can start making demands.

The Suspiria release is a classic example. The pre-order page LITERALLY had December 31st as the release date. And people were freaking out that when they pushed that pre-order button in August it didn't instantly transport the item into their disc player running and queued up to their favorite spot with Don May on his knees next to their chair with a bottle of lube. Jesus Christ for 99% of people it arrived before 12/31/17.

These pre-order pages should instead be, "We're looking to develop a project with the following time table. If you wish to help fund this endeavor you can DONATE the following amount. Your account will then be credited for the following release." That's the reality of the situation and these requests should instead reflect that.

If you don't know what you're getting into you're making a foolish investment. If you don't even realize you're making an investment you're even more foolish than that. Which explains a lot of the foolish bitching. But you need better information upfront to know that.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also placed my order on April 6th. The only thing I've been waiting for longer is the Indiegogo financed blu for Lady Frankenstein and Death Laid an Egg. I donated to that on November 8, 2016. Let's hope when these finally arrive the wait will have been worth it.

17. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/DoradoFilms/posts/10156307627790809

18. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/DoradoFilms/posts/10156355933625809

I think they're referring to shipping from the manufacturer to Dorado, and not individual orders being shipped to customers, but I'm not holding my breath, either way.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

(Final?) Larraz Update:

Larraz update: Just recieved confirmation that the boxes have been shipped to our fulfillment warehouse yesterday, on February 27th, so within the time frame they quoted us of the 26th - 28th.

We should have them in stock shortly and will attach a coupon to each outgoing order as promised and send them to the buyers. Confirmation emails with the tracking numbers will be sent when yours are on its way.

For those of you who have purchased from Mondo or another wholesaler they should have their supplies within a few days of our receiving them as they will be shipped to them same day we receive our order.

Again to all, we are embarrassed and sorry for the problems on this release and truly thank you all for your patience and support.

Next release to be resolved is the Jess Franco Volume 2. We will post shortly, our shipping status and expectations from the replication and printers and when we should receive them in our fulfilment warehouse.

The Euro-western Bluray status will be address as well, we are really looking forward to getting these out finally so we can decide where we go from here on any future releases.

We expect to be very busy over the next two weeks, so may not answer quickly on our facebook page please keep this in mind if asking questions. Anything immediate feel free to write to our email store@doradofilms.com and someone will reply within a day or two.

Thank you
    Dorado Films

20. cjg

cjg Active Member

Anybody else starting to feel like they're getting fucked as we come up to the one year anniversary of ordering these movies.