Fred Olen Ray goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 13, 2014.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Deep space, what a movie, would love a blu of that.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

russweiss, Angelman and Kim Bruun like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Evil Toons news from Fred's Facebook page:

4. sade

sade Active Member

Cannot wait for "Evil Toons". This flick just holds a special place in my heart.

5. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

I had my mom rent it from a Mom and pop shop called maverick movies, along with killer nerd, as a kid. purely got it for the boobs, but it still holds a special place for me, I think it holds up all these years later. killer nerd too for that matter.

satans-sadists likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Evil Toons in HD should be awesome. I own both of the DVD editions, and judging by how good the previous Retromedia Blu-ray transfers have looked, this should be a knockout.

I still have the animation cell used in the film that Fred autographed and sent to me years ago. I don't think I'd ever part with it..

satans-sadists likes this.
  7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

8. zbinks

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

When I received my copy of Evil Toons a few days ago, it was a shaker. I swear nothing get me more pissed off than that. Actually creeps me out when I hear/feel that awful sound coming from the unopened package. Luckily this is not a DVD, so no damage was to the disc.

othervoice1 likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Octaman /The Cremators Blu-ray is now up for sale on Amazon through Retromedia. This is one time where I actually did sell off my old DVD, and made a nice profit months back. :cool:

Apparently The Ape/Black Raven Blu-ray was for sale recently on Amazon, but people were receiving Octaman instead due to a labeling sticker error.

Edit: it looks like all copies have now sold out. There were 12 in stock when I posted this. I'm sure it'll be back in stock however.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. zbinks

Octaman is available again.

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Apparently Octaman has severe compression issues. The file size of the feature itself is small to make room for the second feature. "Swarming with Space Invaders," one Blu-ray.com member says of the image, and the photographic evidence is depressing. :(

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Thanks for the warning. You saved me $20.00 & a whole bunch of frustration. Would have been much better off if Octaman was a single feature release.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

But according to another member who also posted screenshots "off his phone" that that poster may have had their TV calibration settings boosted and while Octaman might not look amazing, it's still apparently HD and better than the DVD was.

"Sheesh, before piling on this release and Retromedia (and Fred himself) it never occurred to anyone that this may have been a calibration / equipment problem on the part of the poster? I see no artifacts at all like that even on a screen with mostly black fill. The grain is a bit chunky with some minor artifacting in grain (though it is obvious the master used had thick grain to begin with) but nothing remotely like what the other poster put up in the black areas. The biggest PQ issue with this release is yellow push as you can see from my photo, not encoding. Detail is not perfect due to the so-so master, maybe 720p-ish, but grain is intact if not heavy and it has a grungy though also filmic look.

This is not the first time this happened, either. Just recently in the Opera thread there was similar panic about "macroblocking" in the black areas that actually isn't visible when your display is properly calibrated (i.e. it is below black). Before that thread it was in the Funeral Parade of Roses thread - same issue, users complaining had gamma/brightness miscalibrated. When you saw the image and the amount of artifacting plus the report that the poster saw this throughout the film IMO this should have been a hint that this might in fact be a user calibration issue and not the release itself.

Compression codecs are designed to hide artifacts where they are not visible; doing so is a sign of efficient compression and is not a bad thing. If your display is miscalibrated badly (i.e. way too bright), you might run into these artifacts. The solution is to at least roughly calibrate the display's gamma/brightness properly. This will also make your movies in general look more accurate."

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Fair enough, but that first report still makes me want to wait for the reviews. In any event, I can't help but wonder if perhaps Octaman could have looked better if there wasn't a secondary feature taking up space on the disc.

16. Katatonia

The Octaman + The Cremators Blu-ray is rather disappointing. I sold off my old DVD months ago for way more than I paid for the Blu-ray though, so no loss.

Octaman still looks better than that old DVD transfer, but The Cremators really has little to no improvement and looks basically the same. I wouldn't say Octaman is an upconvert, but due to the poor compression does look something more like a 720p presentation than anything.

He should have just added The Cremators as SD (instead of upconverting it) to save disc space.

The new Rick Baker interview, which runs 26 minutes is quite good though. It is in true 1080p and looks the best of anything on the disc.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

18. zbinks

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Surprised to see Snow Beast! Definitely getting that one.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

DVD quality transfers on blu ray. Can’t wait.

Fred is still an ass.