George A. Romero's Night of The Living Dead to receive 4K restoration!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Damn.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah wow that was a massive surprise.

SO GLAD I waited on this title and never picked up any of the other blu-rays.

Finally someone gives Night of the Living Dead the respect it deserves in HD.

Silence of the Lambs got announced too!!

~Matt

3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

HOT DAMN SON! Now that is a stacked release! I see a double dip in my future. :cool:

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I hardly ever buy dvds or blu-rays any longer, however I will gladly double dip on this release.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

giphy-30.gif

Steel76, Natas and zbinks like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Perfect!

Now we just need definitive blu-rays of Dawn and Martin. I'd take Bruiser as well.

I just got Arrow's Romero boxset and it's a beauty, unsurprisingly.

RJ Fielder and fceurich39 like this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Excellent news. And just in time for Valentine's Day. :p

I'd caution against high expectations from the work print though. Romero talked pretty directly about it before he saw it with some high hopes, but then walked it back after seeing it. Literally a reel's worth of footage was cut to satisfy the distributor (each print would be one reel cheaper that way. :mad: ), and that's been confirmed to be still missing in action. So it would seem that this "work-print" was made still after that much footage was dropped. So there's probably just minor differences. Cool though!

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Cannot wait. I'll probably hold off and get it for Halloween.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Facebook Post with more info on the work-print:
    So kinda cool... Not too sure why this warrants inclusion when most any film released by Criterion would have an equivalent... Everything has an initial rougher cut and many still linger in film vaults. Maybe because they took so much flack for EXCLUDING the original cut of Carnival of Souls on Blu-ray since it was of low grade SD quality? At least that had some significant differences, unique footage, and was broadcast on the East Coast on TV so seen by many before home video.

It occurs to me though that this pairs well with the English soundtrack on the European theatrical cut of Dawn of the Dead which apparently only used onset sound for its dialog. You can have an onset sound double feature now. :D Not too many franchises can claim that as a sales point!

Oh well. Kind of a kick to the kidneys of those buying crappy releases because they're "true to its grind house history." Criterion tossed in a 16mm reduction print with no ADR and no lab work for free! Beat that! :p

f.ramses, buck135 and fceurich39 like this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The Criterion preorder is currently $27.37 which is much better than the initial price of $39.95.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Buck! I usually go cheap and wait for a Criterion sale to get a $20 price, but this is Night of the Living Dead.

buck135 likes this.
  12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I hate you guys lol. Criterions are so fucking expensive in Canada. Would be shocked if this was below $39.99 here.

~Matt

14. sinister

sinister Active Member

I pre-ordered it from Amazon.com , $18.31 on there right now too.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

At such a low price, I decided to place an order on amazon.com, but with $6.98 shipping to Canada and that bullshit fucking import fees deposit, it came to $27.75 total.

Not exactly a great deal but I guess I save about $5 when you do the conversion.

Has anyone on here that lives in the US ever ordered from Amazon.ca? Is it the same thing for you guys? Do you get slapped with shipping and import fees (it adds like $10 to your order) when having stuff imported? Anything over $15 on amazon.com you get hit with import fees.

~Matt

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Been awhile since I ordered from .ca but I don't recall ever getting any import fees.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

As a fellow Canadian I know about the Import Fees Deposit, but those do tend to (99% of the time) get refunded back to your credit card within 60 days of shipment if the item doesn't actually get held up/opened at customs. That's simply there to cover that cost should that happen.

From Amazon's FAQ regarding the Import Fees Deposit:

"Calculating Fees
    When AmazonGlobal products are shipped to eligible countries, an estimate of the Import Fees will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. With your authorization, these funds are used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country ("Import Fees Deposit"). The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being shipped.

Import Fees Deposits will vary depending on the selected shipping method. The Import Fees Deposit is an estimation of the taxes and duties that may apply and isn't an actual calculation. Customs regulations and tax rates applicable to certain goods may change between the date the taxes and duties were estimated and the applicable taxes and duties on the date of import into the destination country. The duty or tax rate is often determined by the classification of a good, which varies by country and region.

Duties and taxes are calculated based on the market value (actual price before any promotions) of the product and not the price after Amazon promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods.

For AmazonGlobal items, you won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated. For items sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers, please check the seller's policies.

If the actual Import Fees are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail confirming the amount of the refund. The process takes 60 days from the shipment date."

Matt89 likes this.
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I never have, but I've never placed an order large enough that it might be subject to US import duties or taxes, either. Generally speaking, a package entering the US with a value less than $800 USD ($200 USD prior to the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015) will not be subject to any import duties or taxes.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I rarely order from Amazon Canada, but when I have I've never been feed. The shipping is just ridiculously expensive.

Seems weird how cheap shipping is from Amazon UK or Germany. Hell, shipping is cheaper from Amazon Germany than it is just ordering within the US.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Nailwraps, Natas and Matt89 like this.