HBO's Carnivale...

Discussion in 'General' started by ScarredGod, Sep 11, 2003.

1. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Yeah, the second season finished up a few months ago and a few weeks later HBO announced that they wouldn't continue the series. (And, unfortunately, the second season ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.)

Creator Daniel Knauf's plan was for the show to run six seasons, with three "Books" composed of two seasons. So the two seasons that were produced make up the first "Book" of the show, so it's sort of complete in that regard.

And fuck HBO up their stupid asses for cancelling this. I cancelled my HBO sucscription in retaliation. The only things I ever watched on their channel were Carnivale and Bill Maher's show. (The Sopranos has been disappointing me for the last five seasons; never got into SATC or SFU.)

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've been eagerly awaiting HBO's Lovecraft Country, and in the meantime thought it might be fun to revisit Carnivale.

Terrific show, it still holds up beautifully. In fact, I think it got better! Nick Stahl is a wimpy lead, but the rest of the casting is absolute perfection. Toby Huss kind of steals the show, as he's known to do (Artie, The Strongest Man... IN THE WORLD). However, I'm surprised Cynthia Ettinger didn't go on to a bigger career after this. She's fabulous. Clancy Brown, it goes without saying. I still say he deserves an Oscar for Pet Sematary Two.

I honestly don't remember if I finished it back when it originally aired, but I did this time. Maybe it was the weekly gaps that drove me away, but watching it in such a short period of time, I was riveted. It ended too soon, and I would have loved to see where it went next, but I was also satisfied by the ending. I like that the creators have openly discussed their plans had the series continued so you get an idea of what was next for these people.

Anyway, highly recommended if you've never seen it or are due for a revisit. It's only 24 episodes and they go by too quickly.

chancetx and othervoice1 like this.
  3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea I loved this show when it was on back in the day - was so mad when HBO cancelled it.