HOSTEL Part 2 reaction thread

Discussion in 'General' started by ReelFear, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I made an 11:40 am showtime to avoid crowds , save a few bucks, and find out if Hostel part 2 is the shit.
    well I'm glad a I saved a few bucks. Hostel part 2 was a disappontment.
    Recycling almost everything from the first part, this sequel offered nothing new.
    At least the original hostel delivered a new and fresh premise to the horror genre. That can't be said about Part 2. It's just more of the same ala the Saw series.
    Eli Roth has said that he's been influenced by Giallos while writing this. I've seen every important giallo, and plenty of trashy ones too, and I could not find a scene in this movie that reminded me of any giallo.
    True the sequel begins where the original ended. but it amounts to nothing and the whole prologue could have been left out and it wouldnt have hurt the film.
    Theres some good gore, but i never felt scared or tense at any point. The original Hostel definitely had me squirming in my seat.
    Finally, the ending was a let down, and the silliness just didn't match the rest of the film.
    I like Eli Roth, I appreciate his enthusiasm for the horror genre, and i look forward to watching his future films. Hostel really did all it could do , and an unnecessary sequel just prolongs the wait until we find out if Roth is a true talent.
    my rating : 5.5 out of 10

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I went to the premiere last night in LA. Loved it. Totally amped up version of the first one and the killings were fucking hardcore. I wasn't a major fan of the first film so this one had to win me over, and it did just that. I won't spoil anything but, goddamn, you'll be amazed he got off with an R-rating. 9/10 for doing exactly what I wanted it to.

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Excellent sequel... nice cameos :) and wicked gore... harsh... a good time!

4. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

i thought part 2 was better than part 1. i dont think it was as extreme as "saw 3", but it definetly had it moments

blood bath

5. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I watched this last night and, as I posted in another thread, I loved it. I remember when the first came out last year and it seemed to be the popular thing to hate on it. The most common complaints were the arrogant, misogynistic characters and the pacing. I didn't have a problem with either of these things. The movie was always meant to be an allegory for the current US foreign policy (even if its detractors say otherwise) and the boys were meant to represent that. I liked watching the story unfold at its own pace, rather than being a victim to how most people thought a horror movie should unfold. And, yes, by the end of the movie I was rooting for Paxton because he may've been an asshole but he didn't deserve any of what happened to him or his friends.

Hostel: Part II was my most anticipated movie of the summer. As much as I wanted to see movies like Spider-Man 3, Transformers and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I would trade them all for Hostel: Part II. I disagree that Part II is nothing but a carbon copy of the first with women replacing the men. First off, by having the main characters be female, Roth has changed the entire tone of the movie. The first movie was about booze, drugs and boobs because that's what the characters were about. There's very little of those three things in Part II and the little nudity there is rarely feels gratuitous. This may piss some of the original's fans off but it didn't bother me. I certainly liked all the female flesh on display in the first but it didn't make the movie for me. If Roth had removed it, I would've liked the movie just as much. On top of that, the female characters are much more likeable from the start this time. Beth is a down to earth girl and it's easy to become infatuated with her. Whitney is the bitch but she's not two-dimensional. And Lorna is the meek, shy girl that you can't help but feel for when the shit hits the fan. It's excrutiating.

But, the best thing that Roth adds to the mix is the inclusion of the two American Elite Hunting clients. We follow them from the auction where they buy Beth and Whitney to the waiting to the picking of weapons to the inevitable meeting of all four characters. This leads to an interesting clash of emotions as we have actually come to like these guys, despite knowing what they're about to do. And, just when you think you know how it's going to end, Roth throws in a curveball or two (or three) to totally throw you off your game. This subplot involving the businessmen really helps to define this sequel. It also adds a welcome insight into the inner workings of Elite Hunting. Most horror sequels fail miserably when they try to explain things (ahem, Halloween: The Curst of Michael Myers, ahem) but this time it only adds to the overall experience.

I've mentioned Roth a few times now so I guess I should metion how much he's improved his filmmaking skills with this entry. The writing is tighter, with better dialogue and more rounded characters. His direction is tighter as well, with a greater understanding of pacing and use of the camera. I hate to call Hostel: Part II Roth's most mature film to date (it is, afterall, still a film about kids being tortured and killed) but it just so happens to be the truth. Roth has dropped almost all of the frat boy humor, while still maintaining that sick sense of humor that was so prevalent in his earlier work (especially his Thanksgiving trailer).

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I loved Hostel and I loved Hostel: Part II just as much. On a technical and storytelling level, the sequel is certainly superior to the original in just about every conceivable way. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that I liked it any more or less than the original. Part II honestly felt like a new experience and it really complimented the original. It stays true to the spirit of Hostel while expanding on it as well, which is exactly what any good sequel should do. The film pushes the boundaries of the R rating to the breaking point and it's probably the most fun you'll have at the theater this summer.

6. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

The movie sucked. This crap is just so played out.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I really love this movie and feel it's the perfect sequel to the first.
    I esp. like how it shows the Elite Hunting Club from all angles. Everything makes sense, like how security has been beefed up since the escape, the online bidding, the contracts, how many employees there are inside and out.
    I stated before in another tread after watching the workprint that I didn't get the very last scene. I just didn't pay close enough attention and fully get it now. What a fucking great "bitch is hardcore" moment just before that too. It makes me cringe and smile all at once.:eek: :D

The only bummer about seeing this in the theater today was there were only 6 other people there with us (5:45pm show). Afterwords we stepped across the hall to see Knocked Up which probably had 100 people there. So judging by the theater here, this isn't gonna do well at the box office.:(

I know most of you hate Roth, but he's fucking 3 for 3 in my book and only getting better.

8. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i hated the first one, and wasn't interested in seeing this one until puddy gave his thoughts. now, i have to say, i'm intrigued.

9. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

**Could be minor spoilers, tread carefully**

I liked it, too. I liked the ending, but it could have been executed a bit better (pun slightly intended). One of the best horror sequels in a long time. Great editing by the old pro George Folsey Jr. ("An American Werewolf in London"). This films like a mix between an Italian giallo (think "Tenebre") and a great eighties slasher. Has the most bloody and startling scene I've seen in an American horror film of this period. On the dowside it lacks the mystery of the first (and much of the tension) but it has a fresh approach and reveals a deeper world. The characters were more interesting all around this time, but I don't think the "Hostel" itself factored into it as well, and the villains weren't as scary.

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Liked it alot. The opening sequence reminded me alot of the opening of Friday the 13th Part 2 in the way it was set up. It was great to see Luc Meranda and Edwige Fenech on the big screen (for the first time in my case)...the only complaint I have about the movie is that neither of them had bigger roles! I really felt it was a worthy follow up to the original...with some great atmosphere and quite a few pretty brutal moments. Who woulda thought that back in the days of a movie like Hellbound: Hellraiser II or Leatherface being butchered for R ratings that you would have ever been able to see some of the stuff this movie got away with in a major chain theater!? My support of Roth continues to grow.

11. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

Did Deodato have his cameo?

12. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Worth a Shot

Yes he did. I was surprised no one mentioned it yet in this thread. Pretty funny.

Overall I felt this movie was pretty shocking and I've seen a lot. Not shocking in the "I can't believe he went THERE" way but shocking in the "How did this not get cut up?" way. I'll be posting more of my thoughts in the 'Double Feature' thread as my buddy, girlfriend & I viewed the first one to get pumped for the second.

My friend had never seen the first one and after viewing the second, told me he felt the first was more brutal and graphic. Hmmm.

13. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Yes

He plays a character credited as The Italian Cannibal (hehe). He's a client of Elite Hunting who pays to eat someone alive.

14. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

hostel 2 was great, it did feel a lot like the first film, but i still loved it. again, like everyone else is saying, i just wanna know how the fuck this movie got away with an R rating??? i mean god damn i was just in shock that some of the stuff passed, and yet they wouldn't give the uncut version of say The Hills Have Eyes an R...i'll never understand. but great film. was anyone else besides me transfixed on bijou phillips the whole time? lol, she's fuckin sexy.

15. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Hahaha... her scream was annoying... hot though... haha

16. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The ultimate Bijou flick for me is still "Bully". Blazes she's smokin's as a trashy teen! Those shorts and that ass.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought it was OK it didn't really offer anything new to the table and everything felt a bit to by the numbers. I was much more intrigued by the first one and just thought overall it was a much better film. It's a good companion piece to the first though.

18. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

I liked it but it didn't have the magic as the first.

Funniest Review so far:

Movie Review: Hostel II

Dr. Royce Clemens Posted by Dr. Royce Clemens | June 8th, 2007 at 4:13 pm | Trackback

Hostel II

Watching Hostel Part II is like having a small, weak child tapping on your forehead for ninety-four minutes. It sucks from the get-go… Then you get antsy… Then it starts to burn a little bit… Then you get REALLY pissed off. Boredom is one thing, but there are many constant and shifting levels of boredom at play here. It’s a boredom buffet. I couldn’t make up my mind what to be bored at next!

And we have Eli Roth to thank for this. To call him “The Dane Cook of Horror Movies” is an insult to Dane Cook, alright? And I fucking HATE Dane Cook. At least Cook has an objective and achieves it on occasion, whether or not I think it’s funny. But Eli Roth breaks EVERY SINGLE PROMISE a horror film is supposed to make.

He’s the Ryan Seacrest of Horror Movies. Compulsively bland, completely lethargic, and INEXPLICABLY EMPLOYED!

Have you seen the first Hostel? Then you don’t have to subject yourself to HOSTEL 2: TORTURE BOOGALOO, which is an exact carbon copy of the original, except the torturees are women. Congratulations must be extended to Mr. Roth, who finally figured out that penises are different from vaginas at thirty-five years of age.

The story this time around centers on Drunky, (Bijou Philips) Blandy (Lauren German), and Waterhead (Heather Matarazzo). They’re art school students in Rome who venture to Prague and get swept up into Slovakia where the two frat boys and their pet Icelandic man Oli met much grisliness in the first film. We are jackhammered and benumbed by these three uninteresting women for a good solid thirty minutes of NOTHING HAPPENING! We begin to hate these women, for Blandy doesn’t say or do anything worth the sweat off a dead hobo’s sack, Waterhead subjects us to a piss-poor Willow Rosenberg impression, and Drunky IS PLAYED BY BIJOU PHILIPS! Whether Roth does this to callously harden us for the torture, I’ll leave to you, but I wouldn’t put it past that asshole.

So naturally, same said grisliness must befall these three young, annoying stock characters. An actual Internet bidding war erupts among the wealthy businessmen over the three girls, organized by the shadowy, nameless organization running the torture dungeon.

The torture and death is much worse the second time around… No, not in gore terms, for Roth proves himself as a complete wuss with the amount of cutaways that will leave gorehounds mourning their lost ten bucks. It’s worse because the misogynist tendencies on display in the middle of the road original Hostel and the excruciating Cabin Fever are now intentional and fully aware.

ATTENTION: SPOILERS AHEAD

The first one to bite it is Waterhead, who is hung nude from the ceiling over a bathtub. Then a lady comes in, strips naked, lies in the tub, and starts poking the hanging girl with a scythe, bathing in her blood Elizabeth Bathory-style. Now were this made by some jackass who didn’t know what he was doing, I’d have called this the most blatantly misogynistic scene to come out of mainstream horror films in America … pretty much ever. But come on. Roth has his indulgent Uncle Quentin behind him. Roth just proves he’s a preening, callow punk, trying to push buttons without regard for WHY certain buttons need to be pushed. It dawned on me during this scene that I was watching a movie directed by a kid who ate his own boogers for nickels in the school cafeteria. You’re not offended because he’s too stupid to be embarrassed. You’re just pissed off you’re sitting next to him.

It gets worse, with Drunky being made up like a skank for her torturer while being taunted with a buzzsaw and Blandy being made up to look like her torturer’s wife. Now there are gonna be some who say “Hey, it’s okay, because one of the girls gets away at the end and cuts off her captor’s Wedding Tackle.” Yeah, right. Someone’s actually gonna be stupid enough to think that a poorly edited, blurry, and essentially bloodless castration is gonna make up for about eighty prior minutes of runny shit after runny shit after runny shit on the female gender. I’m imagining someone wandering through the desert, clutching their last supplies, believing them as irrefutable proof that they will survive.

“Well, it’s about a hundred-twenty in the shade out here, I stopped sweating a half an hour ago, and I can literally feel my eyeballs evaporating… BUT I GOT GRAPE JAM AND A PAIR OF SOCKS, SO I’M GONNA BE OKAY!”

/SPOILERS

So the gore is riddled with cutaways, we don’t care about the characters, the acting is awful, (especially by Matarazzo and Philips) there’s nothing on the technical side to write home about, and the screenplay is like it’s written by Josef Mengele on one of his “saucy” days. This is all tethered around the fact that torture, as a horror film device is JUST PLAIN FUCKING BORING! Honestly, how many ways can you film someone being tied or handcuffed to a chair while someone administers cookie cutter tortures? It’s just grue and stickiness with no real invention. How is this fun? Or scary? It’s just stupid.

And I can picture Roth strutting behind the camera like he’s big as Billy Be-Damned when he’s just the little kid who pusses out when he has to say “Candyman” in front of the mirror for the fifth time. His preoccupation with torture, his willingness to drop us into an expository No Man’s Land of dullness, and his incapability to move us one way or another just goes to show that he doesn’t have the brains, doesn’t have the guts, and doesn’t have the fucking SACK to make a real horror film.

Though it’s not like he’s ever even tried.

Hostel Part II is fucking worthless.

Zero Stars out of 4

http://geeksofdoom.com/2007/06/08/movie-review-hostel-ii/

19. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I thought this was great and much better than the first. I was shocked by the amount of gore on display, and that ending left me queasy-something that hasn't happened in a very long time. I also thought the acting was solid all around. I guess Roth is just a love it or hate it type of filmmaker, but I have loved all of his movies to date and this is no exception. It might almost be a good thing if this is not a huge hit-if the like sof lieberman or McCain see this we can count on another assault against hardcore horror. It's that disturbing, but excellent. Go see it!!

20. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I haven't seen this movie, and I don't plan to as I am not in the Fellate Eli Roth Club. I am just posting to call this the best review ever. Thank you a lot for posting it.