Howling Sequel opinons?

Discussion in 'General' started by RyanPC, Jun 10, 2003.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Now, I know most horror fans don't like the Howling sequels. But I was just reading the HorrorDVDs review of HOWLING III and was wondering what everyone else thought of all the sequels. What does you think of them? If you would, it would be great if you could list them all and write your opinions. Something like this (these are my opinions):

HOWLING 2 - I enjoyed this one and think it is one of the best sequels in the series. Some of it is corny, though, but that is what makes it fun.

HOWLING 3 - I couldn't stand this one. It was stupid and boring, and not funny at all, even though it was trying to be. I might not hate this as much as NEW MOON RISING, but this is pretty bad.

HOWLING 4 - This is kind of in the middle for me. It was somewhat boring, but then again, it did have some good aspects to it that made it somewhat enjoyable.

HOWLING 5 - This one was actually pretty good, and I liked the mystery aspect of it. It reminded me a lot of Ten Little Indians, which is definitely a good thing in my book.

HOWLING 6 - This was good. It could be boring at times, but overall was enjoyable for me. Might not be as good as 2 or 5, but I did like it and it is up there with the best in the series.

THE HOWLING: NEW MOON RISING - The only good thing I can say about NEW MOON RISING is that I liked how it tied some of the other sequels together, bringing back some of the older characters from previous films... but other than that, it was a plain bore. It's by far the worst in the series.

By the way, does anyone know if HOWLING 2, 5, or 6 is coming to R1 DVD? I'd love to have them in my collection!! :)

So what's everyone else's opinions? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2003
  2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

To be honest, I recently watched the first one again - and didn't really enjoy it. When I think about it, I imagine it MUST be good. But when I'm watching it, I get bored.

Dunno, this one just has not aged well (and for once I get to say "I'm NOT buying the SE"). The sequels, can't say, after the first one, that I can be bothered.

3. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I have the first one and only watched the first 20 mins and got bored I need to finish it. I remember watching serveral of them on USA. I think one was a swat team and it really sucked. Then some other one where they were in the woods. I really thought that one sucked.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I don't think there is one with a swat team. And the first one, in my opinion, is one of the best movies ever made-- although I can see where you might get bored, but I sure don't!! :)

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

My favorite sequel is probably the one with the vampire in it. Can't remember which one, 3 was good too, I remember those damn marsupial things. 2 was ok, I don't think the rest are worth remembering but that's just me, too each his own.:)

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

HOWLING 6: THE FREAKS is the one with the vampire! :)

7. puddytay

puddytay Guest

theres not swat them? Then what movie am I thinking about. It was very similar to dog soilders but they were in new york.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Wasn't there one part in the Howling 3 that had Swat Team, I don't know, I can't remember.:rolleyes:

9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

-- is one of the best movies ever made--

Wow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We used to agree on films :)

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm pretty sure there isn't, if my memory serves me right. I'm about 90% sure there isn't.

11. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I like the first one pretty well, but I find the rest to be just horrible. I watched them out of a sense of horror loyalty, and I really didn't find any merits in any of them past the first.

12. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

I've seen all of them, but the only sequel that I even remember now is New Moon Rising. So, I'd have to say 2-6 were unremarkable, while New Moon Rising ranks as one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

13. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Full Eclipse?

Howling 2 is awful, but entertaining. You have Sybil Danning flashing her talents, a laughable werewolf threesome, sorry ass werewolf transformations, and a slumming Christopher Lee. What's not to like?;) There's a version on cable that features more gore and alternate scenes. Bring on the DVD! I would love to hear a commentary from director Mora, Lee, and Danning.

14. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah HOWLING 2 is hideous, but I laughed so damn hard at it. I'm not a huge fan of the first though, so I haven't seen any of the other sequels. I'm more of an AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON guy myself...

15. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

#2 is awesome, especially that goofy euro-pop song that closes the movie, funny and gross,
    #3 is really odd, but i liked it a lot,
    after that the only thing i liked about the sequels was bruce payne as the vampire in #6

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The fact that those films have HOWLING in their title is enough to make me chagrined. That is no way for the people that worked on those films to honor/follow-up one of the most original "modern" horror films ever made.
    I have watched ALL of them in hopes of finding some shred of raison d'etre - but aside from a few favorite actors showing up (Sybil Danning, Dame Edna, Micheal T. Weiss), there was nothing about these films that I cared for...well maybe: the third film had this weird watchable factor when I caught it on cable back in the late '80s when I stayed home sick from school. In fact, that is how I came to know who DAME EDNA was (the presenter of the Best Actress award to the werewolf lady at the end of the film). Maybe I should have asked her to "sign" a DVD of that film when "she" performed here in SF a few months ago!

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

Fun to revive a 17 year old thread.

I watch the original Howling last night. What an amazing movie. I have always loved it. Always had it tied with AWIL but I think Howling very much takes the crown for me now.

I watched Howling II tonight. I mean, how the hell did they make a sequel THIS bad? While I enjoy some of the sequels, I just don't get how THIS is the followup to such a classic.

othervoice1 likes this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched Howling II recently. It definitely bad but I had fun with it, if it was a standalone movie I think it would be thought of in higher regards, but when you compare to the original, well there is no contest.

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I have to revisit The Howling this week. I've never been a big werewolf fan and this wasn't a film I grew up watching. I tried watching this several years ago and I remember being bored. But I do own the dvd and I'll give it another shot maybe this weekend on the projector. Cold and rainy in North Texas for a change, gotta take advantage!

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I love the music in Howling II it is my favorite Howling sequel.