Ichi The Killer from Well Go USA 3/20/18

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Steel76 and russweiss like this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

http://wellgousa.com/press/ichi-the-killer

Wait, the scan of the 16mm negative was at best 720p for the era (probably on a tube scanner which adds additional video noise). That was then out put on 35mm which is the elements they're using for the restoration?

Eh... That's not really the best way to go about it. You're essentially doing a 4k scan of a 720p output that was stored on 35mm. You're already two generations removed from the original elements. Hell the digital tape of that 720p output would be better and probably still around.

You have to do a 4k scan of the 16mm negative. And essentially re-edit the film. I know this is an extensive undertaking but that's what the situation requires. And it's the same situation for many direct to video Japanese releases.

It looks like it'll still be a big step up from previous releases which were poorly done, but that's not saying much. And for a planned theatrical re-release? They could do better.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

For a niche title like Ichi there's no way a company is going to fork over the insane amount of dough/time for a restoration that requires a complete film post-production process of editing the film from the ground up. Especially when it was finished and all the effects were done on video/digital as you'd have to completely re-do all that work as well. And who knows if the 16mm raw materials actually still exist, or if they had access to them.

By the way (not that I'm close to it at all), the new 4K restortation of Ichi the Killer is showing at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto on February 3rd at 9 PM.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I pre-ordered this on Diabolik. Love this flick, and it's only $15.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This is more from the content owner's perspective. Not Well Go. And it wouldn't literally be from the ground up, it would be much cheaper than editing a new movie. They should have a "between these frames from this reel" notes. Avid does it as a function of the editing. It wouldn't be all that different from restorations that cull different film elements to make one good print which has been done before for less notable films. They're already paying for a 4k scan. And the restoration costs for color timing would be about the same. Any CGI or similar post-production would probably have to be upconverts. But distributors have been know to replace effects like The Devil Rides Out.

I'm not saying it'd be cheap, probably double what they're paying, but you should be able to afford it on a title like Ichi the Killer. If you have theatrical ambitions for a movie then you almost certainly think it can be worthwhile. Other DTV from Japan probably not. But then other DTV titles aren't coming to a theater near you either. Full Moon claims to have done it with some of their DTV titles like Curse of the Puppet Master (which I doubt).

Running a 4k scan of second gen 720p output? :rolleyes: They're just being cheap. This proves that 4k technology is now standard operating procedure industry wide.

6. Nailwraps

Trailer for the 4K Remaster:

Amazon pre-order:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ichi-Killer-Blu-ray-Tadanobu-Asano/dp/B0788WXTJX/

And the extras and tech specs:

"Bonus Features
    Audio Commentary with Director Takashi Miike & Manga Artist/Writer Hideo Yamamoto
    Still Gallery
    Trailer

Language: Japanese (original)
    Available Subtitles: English"

Not a lot to go by there (even the English dub isn't ported over), but maybe Well Go can revisit this later with a newer and better edition.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. Nailwraps

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Got around to giving this another visit the other night. For the most part I enjoyed it but I think it's pretty long. I thought it was nearly finished at one point and there was still an hour to go lol. I also found the ending confusing. I had to look it up but
    apparently the little kid had mind illusion powers or something.
    I either missed something or it wasn't very clear that he was apparently a threat.