Insidious: The Last Key

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Sep 8, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The new Insidious movie hits theaters this Friday (expect the recently debuted trailers for Blumhouse's Truth Or Dare and Sony's atrocious-looking Slender Man to be attached).

I haven't decided if I'm making the trip to the theater yet. I'm not the biggest fan of the franchise, and the third was downright boring. That said, I do love them as a showcase for the always wonderful Lin Shaye. How exciting to see her as the face of such a successful genre franchise (and I still say she deserves an Oscar for Detroit Rock City)! She's what might get my butt in the theater. It's also directed by Adam Robitel, one of her co-stars from the 2001 Maniacs movies (he was the one in a relationship with a sheep). He also directed The Taking Of Deborah Logan

Anyone venturing to the theater this weekend?

2. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

It's not out in the UK til the 12th I think, but I do plan on seeing this at the theatre. Lin Shaye IS excellent. If you haven't seen Jack Goes Home I definitely recommend it, Shaye is amazing in that!

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

I picked up the DVD from Family Video for $1.50 a while ago, but never got around to watching it. Will have to bump it up the pile.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Family and I will be heading out next week to see it. I've always enjoyed the Insidious movies and am looking forward to this one!

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I may see either this or Star Wars next week. If the Insidious reviews are overly positive, that may sway me to choose Lin Shaye over Carrie Fisher. Keep in mind trying to avoid spoilers for the Last Jedi has been very difficult.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Another solid sequel, and I prefer this one, to part 3.
    Once again Lin is amazing in the lead, and it's great to have a story that focuses on her character and back story.
    Even though there are some lighter comedic moments, this one has a much darker tone at times, making it feel more like an R-rated entry.
    Especially one of the kills was pretty violent for a PG-13 movie.
    It's great that the series can still deliver some new twists, and even though it feels like the circle is complete now, I wouldn't mind another chapter in the near future.

Btw, the poster kinda reminds me of the the one for "House 2" :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CPT HOOK

Interesting, since the first movie is pretty similar to the first House (only a bit darker in tone).

Steel76 likes this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This one is a real stinker. No scares and very poor script. I'm honestly not a fan of any of the films and I've seen them all. The one sheet is more entertaining than the movie.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It came in second at the box office. Jumanji continues to be number one for some reason and The Last Jedi was third. Insidious 4 took in $30 million domestic and another $20 million internationally. Not bad for a film with a $10 million budget.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

You probably shouldn't have expected to like this one if you don't like the others :p

I've enjoyed all of them so I expect to enjoy this one too as reviews have been somewhat positive.

Wasn't part 2 left open ended? I don't think they ever explained what that ending was about in the third.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Chapter 2 alluded to the fact that the lipstick face demon was haunting a new kid. And Chapter 3 ended with the same demon appearing behind Shaye if I recall. The Bride is nowhere to be seen in The Last Key either (for the first time in three movies), so I'm not sure as to where this movie will take us in regards to the loose ends.

12. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

I actually really liked the first Insidious until that Darth Maul-jester was revealed in the last minutes (and the fact that the 'other world' they went in was completely harmless), i've never tried the others and don't intend to

13. CPT HOOK

This is currently part of a Buy 1 Get 1 Free Promotion at Best Buy, along with other Sony titles. Price is $14.99.

I picked it up today along with Only The Brave (which is terrific and highly recommended if you're looking for something to pair it with). $7.50 each. Good deal.

14. Zombie Dude

This one ended up being a real stinker. Easily the worst in the series and a massive disappointment for me as I've enjoyed the others.

buck135 likes this.
  15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Exactly. I assumed this was going to be the last one, however I read that isn't the case.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

After watching it I hope it is if that's what the quality will be like for here on out. I'm still waiting for a sequel to the second one.

buck135 likes this.