Land Of The Dead - The Official Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by DeathDealer, Jun 22, 2005.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I can put up with running zombies. I can put up with zombies who pick up weapons and learn how to use them (though I still say that it was silly). But there's two things in this movie that really bothered me: 1. zombie emotions. the head zombie guy got upset when a fellow zombie was killed. oooooo emotional zombies are so scary! Might as well make the movie about people. 2. Zombies killing but not eating. A few times in the movie, they showed a zombie killing someone and then just walking away. What's up with that???? Aren't zombies supposed to eat their victims? Seemed rather weak to me. I'm sure someone will tell me that the zombies have just evolved, but once again what's the point of having zombies in the movie at all? Just have a movie with humans fighting each other....

Oh and at the end with the
    "They're just looking for someplace to go". Stupid. You do realize those zombies, when they come across a human, are going to eat them. So by not killing them you're endangering other human lives. Jerk.

Didn't hate this movie, but sure didn't love it.

2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Did you miss Day of the Dead?

3. maskull

Don't worry. I didn't like Day of the Dead. I was hoping this one would be better.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I really enjoyed this movie, but I kind of agree with you on this point. I don't mind the zombies showing emotions and evolving, as that is in line with Day which I love, but did Big Daddy need to show so much emotion? People on Dr. Phil are less emotional than he was. People in the waiting room on ER have nothing on him. I really think this movie would have been better served by dialing the Big Daddy character way back. He was the weakest link, at least for me.

5. maskull

I really wanted to like Big Daddy too....he used to play for the Toronto Argonauts. But he was too over-the-top. I swear there were a couple of times he forgot to walk like a zombie or was at least fighting to walk that way.

6. steve_p

steve_p New Member

I guess it's true when they say you can't please everyone you should be just happy that he put out another movie.I am just greatful that there are still directors out there that still try to make horror in the main stream. I guess some of you people out there just want the same movie made over and over again. Let's make another remake with lots of the same shit just differnt actors. I liked the movie and I think he did one hell of a job.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Being glad to have this movie and being a Romero fan does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that I have to like Big Daddy Zombie.

8. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

Saw it again this evening; theatre was about 25% full, boxoffice at $17.2 million. Where was Bub in the film, if anywhere?

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Bub is NOT in this movie. Nowhere. Ever. Think you saw him? No, you didnt. I realize people want to think he's in it, but he's NOT. AT ALL. Simon Pegg? Not Bub. The first zombie to attack Cholo? Not Bub. The ONLY returning character is Blade. Thats all.

I hope I dont sound like a dick, but seriously, Bub aint there.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Exactly what I posted in the "Bub" thread. The zombie that attacks Cholo isn't even dressed the same. What, do you guys really think Bub would actually bother to change his clothes, ever?

Funny thing about Bub, I checked imdb and the actor who plays him is married to Sela Ward.

11. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

That fat bastard is lucky.

12. Surnom

Surnom New Member

I finally saw this last night. It was a good zombie flick, but I didn't feel it belongs to the Romero's series, even if the mythology still there. Maybe it was too much action-oriented and not enough story-driven? With all of which is going on, all those subplots, the movie is quite short to explore them all in depth, and I always liked how night, dawn and day got deeply in each plot. Much better, IMO, than the Dawn remake, though.

Bottom line - I give it a 4 out of 5, or even a 3.5, while the other three are 5/5 for me. Still gonna get the dvd - maybe it'll get better with further viewing...

13. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I think it will be kinda like DAY...eventually it will gain acceptance with fans as years go by. I never quite warmed up to DAY, but it's much more popular with fans now than it was when it first came out.

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I saw Land last night. All the elements were there, but it still didn't sit right.

Then it clicked.

It would have made much more sense if it wer John Carpenter's Land of the Dead, as this is a pretty damn good imitation of his style. Characters, settings, quirks. All Carpenter, not so much Romero. Touting one of the most boring scores in recent memory, replace that with minimal synth and it would be a Carpenter classic!

Yet it's Romero, which is curious. Oh well, good fun.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Maybe that's what he was going to produce it way back when, if it's really something up his alley. I think you've got a good point there, it did have more of a Carpenter feel then a Romero feel to it.

16. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I have to wait for the DVD since it only lasted a bit over a week here. I didn't have the time to see it when it was around. last time I checked it was only playing at the drive-in and I wouldn't be caught dead there(well, if I went I could possibly be caught that way) and I think they even dumped it within 2 weeks.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Man, I would've loved to have seen it at the drive-in. It's a cold day in hell when something truly "drive-in" worthy actually plays at the drive-in around here. A double bill of LAND OF THE DEAD and THE DEVIL'S REJECTS would be smokin'.

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Didn't Carpenter have a hand in with this movie or am I mistakened? I thought I read somewhere that he was doing something with Romero's project for Land. I guess I'm wrong.

19. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

One could argue Carpenter was influenced by Romero; his early works, Assault on Precinct 13 and The Fog, play out a lot like Night of the Living Dead.

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I had EXACTLY the same feel watching it. Most of all it reminded me of Howard Hawks, then I switched to Assault On... and then it hit me too.