My debut novel comes out today!

Discussion in 'General' started by Cooperkill, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I hope this doesn't come across as spam. I'm not the biggest poster here, but do my fair share of lurking. And I did win a Photoshop contest a few years back, so this place is always dear to my heart.

Anyway, my debut horror novel was released today and I'd be stupid to not try to spread the word by any means. I think horror fans, and fans of murder mysteries, will get a kick out of my book.

Here's the description and link:

"David Andreas was a super-talented contributor to Fangoria during its glory gory days. His fiction debut bodes well for readers of unique and scary horror."
    --Tony Timpone, former editor, Fangoria magazine

When three children in a Catholic group home are brutally murdered, the survivors are hurried into separate foster homes across Long Island. Robin Hills, a fifteen-year-old who has spent the past several years under religious care, is thrust into a new, dysfunctional family with no spiritual beliefs. No longer protected by the religion and the nun she had come to love, Robin is completely alone and enveloped in fear.

As the murders continue and Robin fears she may become the next victim, her faith increasingly falters. However, she finds solace in a budding friendship with Dennis, a boy her age living in her new foster home. Dennis’s kindness, his acceptance of Robin, and his bravery in the face of evil--born of his passion for horror movies--combine to reassure her that she'll survive the killings.

Armed with this new friendship and fueled by a rage she finally discovers within herself, Robin finds the courage and self-reliance to confront the darkest aspects of human depravity.

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Underg...2757&sr=8-1&keywords=angel+of+the+underground

The e-book costs less than $4, so if you're interested give it a shot. I'd love to know what horror fans think of it!

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Very cool and good luck with sales.

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

Thank you!

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Wow, congratulations on writing a book! That's pretty incredible!

5. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Congratulations! Sounds very cool. I got an amazon card for Christmas so I will be checking it out!

6. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

Thanks, all. I believe it's a book horror fans will love, since it paints us in the best of lights. I explore why we watch horror movies. I'll give you a sample. There's a character named Dennis who worships horror movies. When his adoptive father abuses him, he runs to his room to watch a horror film. The narrator, who just met him, goes to see if he's okay. This is what ensues:

I skulk downstairs, wondering how to mind Barry and check in on Dennis at the same time, and decide to pay him the quickest visit possible. I gently knock on Dennis' door, but he doesn’t answer, most likely because nobody likes to be seen crying. I open the door an inch and say into the slit, “I’m sorry. I should have listened to you.” Dennis doesn’t respond. I open the door a little more and nearly fall backwards when seeing his face.

Dennis’ right eye has already turned shades of black and blue. A purple welt on his cheek appears ready to explode. His upper lip is cracked and encrusted with blood. He looks desperate for care, but I'm not sure how to extend him any. Hugs go far in rectifying some problems, but I don't know Dennis well enough to hug him, so I sit down on his bed close enough for our knees to touch. I watch for his reaction, to see if he's too upset with me to have me this close, but his watery eyes remain focused on the TV. I follow them to a menu screen for
    Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. Before long, he presses a remote control button that starts the movie.

After a slow forming New Line Cinema logo, a narrator tells of hapless victims who once fell prey to a cannibalistic clan of serial killers. When the narration concludes, a sledgehammer rises. A woman’s screaming face fills the screen. The sledgehammer swings forward. A vicious white splat forms the title. Between credits, a filthy, hulking man slaps down the woman’s severed face onto a workbench, cuts the skin into pieces, and stitches them back together. Dennis leans forward with a grin, as though death has fulfilled him.

“Why does this make you happy?” I ask.

He replies, “Because I’m not her.”

Isn't that one of the reasons we watch horror movies? To quell our rage by watching people suffer in a safe manner? If you dig this scene, you'll dig the rest.

Workshed likes this.