my opinion on UHD 4K

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Jul 9, 2017.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm assuming there is a big difference in picture quality between just a 4k TV and a 4k TV that has HDR. Although I won't be in the market for 4k anytime soon, my impression is that most of the cheap sets lack this feature which may be more important than the 4k resolution itself?

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yes, HDR improves both contrast and colors dramatically.
    Too me, that's more impressive, than the boost in resolution.

Even videogames benefits greatly from the HDR support as well.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Regardless, how long is any manufacture going to sell a top of the line 2k set when you're being undercut by a 4k set? That won't last long.

UHD Blu-ray discs are now hitting less than $15. How long can Blu-ray distributors sell regular HD discs over that? Not long.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't know. They're probably that cheap because they're not moving. UHD discs could drop to $5 and I wouldn't touch them unless they came with the blu ray because they won't work with my TV or player. And I'm simply not interested in upgrading to UHD until my Panasonic Plasma breaks, which could be tomorrow or ten years from now.

Natas likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave Pimp

I read many catalog releases are upconverts. True? Still 0 interest on my end. I'm going to a projector so we will see how 1080 holds up.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If they were shot after 2000 and have a 2k Digital Intermediate, there's been more than a few that were mostly upconverts. They'll often work on the colors though so that it has a wider range than the Blu-ray releases. Plus often have better compression and less EE/DNR.

But for anything shot on film they've been true 4k. As higher resolution progresses we're going to come to the funny realization that the movies made during 2000-2020 will not hold their own against movies done entirely on film prior to that. Star Wars may show the biggest difference with its muddy early digital 1080p sources. Compared to 35mm it won't look nearly as good.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Digital effects (CGI, in particular) are going to be a bane to 4K UHD and any subsequent formats for years to come because the advancement of technology is outpacing the film industry's adoption of said technology. The same films that usually drive the sales of a new format (i.e. recent, effects-driven Hollywood blockbusters) are rapidly becoming obsolete for future formats because their, at the time, state of the art (and often outrageously expensive) digital effects often weren't rendered above 2K. It's going to be the Star Trek: The Next Generation / The X-Files dilemma, but on a much wider, even more mainstream scale.

8. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I have never once trusted those distance calculators. Who the fuck sits 3 feet away from their TV?

maybrick likes this.
  9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Check out The Revanent. Stellar disc. Welcome back Dobby.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Terminator 2: Judgment Day UHD sounds like it's one of the worst releases on the format thus far, Predator bad.

The 4K screenshots just look amazingly bad.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I bought the 4k release a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It doesn't look too bad in those pics with nothing to compare it to. It definitely doesn't seem Predator bad to me at least. I'll know once I give it a spin as I could barely sit through that horrible Predator transfer and sold the disc off straight away.

Katatonia likes this.
  12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The comments pretty much seem to be negative on other forums for those that have watched the disc.

The 4K screenshots on the Blu-ray.com review show a lot of macroblocking artifacts also. I don't know if that's just the capture or what, but they look quite bad.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the disc!

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

If you want to see actual screengrab comparisons, the same transfer on the 4K UHD release is the same one on the UK Studio Canal Remastered Blu-ray that was released recently. DNR has been over applied getting rid of mostly all the grain making it look terribly waxy, and it's been re-timed quite drastically to a more modern cinematic look: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11116&d2=11117&c=4415

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Did Cameron not oversee this transfer or is this what he approved?

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I may be mistaken, but I believe he oversaw the 3D conversion but not the remaster if that makes any sense.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I mean some of those comparisons of the new transfer don't look that bad to me. Sure the grain is removed but I couldn't see loss of detail in some of the closeup shots which is pretty impressive. Still, I need to sit down and watch it

I did think Cameron was fully involved with this new edition as he mentioned fixing a shot or two that had bugged him.

Steel76 likes this.
  18. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

No movies out on 4k that I want that's the main problem. I'm impressed with the technology. I think I'M through with physical media though as far as movies. I will buy.the occasional special edition of a very.favorite film if it gets a super review but if it gets a mixed or bad review forget it I am at a point in life where I don't want to own thousands of movies. I will probably keep my movie collection to less than 15 movies.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

I got a new 65" sony 4K tv before Christmas will be making the jump soon. I didn't realise beforehand that older Amps can't decode the HDR signal so even though my home cinema amp has all the HDMI's running it through it for my PS4, PS3 and multi region bd player and decodes HD audio it doesn't send the HDR signal to the tv

Which means of course i'll be having to get a new amp and 4k player before i can fully enjoy 4K with HDR. But oh well id have to get a new amp at some point.

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I upgraded from a 60" Plasma to a 75" 4K set just a couple of weeks ago. I should've done more research on the Sony model I purchased (XBR75X850E) as it turns out, based on published feedback, some owners are having issues with it and are returning their sets, plus this model doesn't feature local dimming. At $2,000 you would think a TV would have all the bells and whistles that high end sets come with. I think it's inexcusable to sell pricey TVs if they're going to skimp on the build quality and features. 2 grand isn't pocket money.

Anyway, my impression of the set is Blu-rays look fantastic on it, I only have about 15 UHDs so far and most of them look great. I was watching Leon: The Professional last night and, on a 75 inch screen, the PQ was breathtaking. I was less impressed with Blade Runner but I think the film's many optical special effects shots are to blame for the perceived poor quality. It's still a great-looking disc, though. The title selection is indeed paltry, as mentioned above, and I'm hoping there'll be an explosion of new titles in the near future but for the time being my regular Blu-rays will be the driving force on my new TV.

BTW, what exactly is HDR? I turned the feature on and it makes everything look super bright, like the vivid setting in the Picture Adjustment menu. I'm a newbie with this format so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018