Recommend Some Obscure Slashers Please

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by onebyone, Mar 25, 2008.

1. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Lots of good mentions in this thread. Popcorn is definitely some good fun. The Pool is OK considering that it's a movie made in 2001. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it but it also doesn't completely suck. Kinda has a slow pace though.

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Holy hell I forgot all about that movie. I think I saw it once way, way, way, way back in the day and then... never heard mention of it again until just now. The hunt for it begins!

The lesson I am learning from this thread? It's high time to pilfer the obscure slashers from other countries for my fresh slasher fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  3. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I always liked
    Possession: Till Death You You Part
    a slasher movie about a mamas boy.

4. BurningMoon

BurningMoon New Member

Check out Straight Jacket (AKA Dark Sanity) from 1982. It not all that great, but definitely obscure.

5. Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon Guest

Great thread & suggestions!
    Just picked up The Pool (along with Critters 1-4) for under $5.
    Read the thread in the a.m. - find the DVD for $4.95 in the p.m.
    Gotta love it!

6. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

I just figured I'd throw my vote in for Flashback since I think it really deserves to be seen by more people. When I popped it in, I was expecting your bottom grade Lionsgate DV slasher crap, but it surprised the hell out of me. Once you get past the cheesy dubbing they gave it on the R1 disc, it becomes a fun little movie. The last twenty minues or so left me with a raging fanboy smile on my face.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I watched this just a few days ago and was really surprised by this movie. The DVD was cheap and the cover terrible but it really was a fun little slasher movie. With a lead that is a dead ringer for the lead in Sorority House Massacre, it really did have an 80s slasher feel and there's few things on earth that I like more than those.

The suggestions are starting to trickle in and I am having so much fun watching these. Drive-In Massacre (hadnt watched in at least 10 years) was as loopy as it ever was, Black Serenade was great if you like your slashers with a healthy dose of cheese and a side of WTF? (and who doesn't?), and Cold Prey was really good and got me all hopped up on slasher goodness. Cannot believe I missed out on it for so long. Why it is not out as a R1 DVD beats me. Looking forward to part 2 now.

Next on the to be watched pile: 999-9999, The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle, and Tower of Evil.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  8. MrVess

MrVess Guest

I'm watching the recently made "Wrestlemaniac" right now, and so far it's better than I was expecting... Certainly far above e.g. any attempts at making a slasher by that individual that calls himself "Rob Zombie".

9. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

I've heard nothing but good things about it and I've been hoping to catch it when I can. I notice it's renting like crazy at any Blockbuster I go to. :lol:

10. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm surprised that this movie is getting good write ups. It looks terrible. I think I'll give it a try eventually.

11. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Anyone else have some good recommendations or reviews? Always looking for some new slashers.

onebyone, what'd you think of 999-9999?

12. CUBANmix

CUBANmix Guest

how about these:

deadly dreams 1988..
    night screams 1987..
    slient madness 1984..
    the outing aka the lamp 1986..
    house of death 1982..
    home sweet home 1981..
    blood moon 1990..
    the ladies club 1986..
    edge of the axe 1988..
    hunters blood 1987..
    open house 1982..
    twice dead 1988..
    deadly intruder 1985..
    to all a goodnight 1981..
    fatal pulse 1989..
    zombie high 1987..
    blood tracks 1985..
    blood rage 1987..
    iced 1988..
    death by dialogue 1988..

most of these can be found to download..most of them are vhs rips but whatever..fuck it right?

13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I watched Cold Prey last night and agree that it was indeed a terrific piece of slasher filmmaking. Formulaic, yes, but very well done!

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Are we talking about Fritt Vilt?

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yup! Loved it! :D

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoyed it as well... nothing new to the genre per se, but it had a great overall atmosphere. It looks like a sequel is coming too.

Have you seen Shredder? It's somewhat similar, though I doubt there are too many other snowboard-esque slashers around! :evil:

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Do you mean did I like that Final Destination *inspired* movie with whacked out characters seemingly right out of any given over the top teen oriented anime? You bet I did! I watched it today and had a grand time. Ferrari!

I thought I hit pay dirt last weekend when I dug out my long, long very lost VHS tape of Fatal Pulse but alas, it was dead on arrival. :mad: It's like my few leftover VHS tapes know they are obsolete and are spontaneously combusting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  18. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Well, a big plus for "Wrestlemaniac" - it is, to my surprise, a homage to the classic slashers that has absolutely nothing in common with that recent wave of awful "huh, huh, I'm a self-conscious parody of the genre" entries, such as "Hatchet". On the contrary, in spite of the ridiculous title and premise, and a few intentionally campy moments, it's intended to be a serious film... and it works as one, well and without turning its seriousness into utter idiocy ("Storm Warning", anyone?). In fact, I haven't seen a serious retro-slasher so enjoyable since "Wrong Turn".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2008
  19. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Ok, if you liked 999-9999, then you've got to check out the Thai horror/comedy Body Jumper. It's not a slasher. It's more of a demon-possessed-killer movie. But it's hilarious and very well done with wild over-the-top characters.

The region-free PAL Thai DVD is fairly nice with letterbox video (non-anamorphic), 5.1 audio and English subtitles. And you can pick it up for under $8. It may have gotten a US release, but I've never seen that disc.

20. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Here's a few more slashers. They're not great. But worth a view, and you can probably pick them up for around $5 each.

Final Stab is a David DeCoteau film, so you get some scenes with nubile young lads in tight jockey shorts. But if you can get through that, it's a nice little DTV slasher. The US DVD is only fullscreen (according to IMDB, the OAR was 2.35:1). If there's an OAR import DVD, let me know.

Wishcraft was a pretty good flick that flew under the radar. The DVD is anamorphic widescreen and you can easily get a used copy for under $5.

School's Out is a made-for-TV German slasher. It didn't get many good reviews. But I was able to get into it, and I liked the setting. The US DVD is fullscreen (not sure if that's OAR) with German & English audio, and English subs.