Red White & Blue (2010)

Discussion in 'General' started by sinister, Jun 2, 2011.

1. sinister

sinister Active Member

Couldn't find an existing thread on this one but I think it's just the kind of well crafted sleaze you guys would appreciate.

Anyone else like it? Difficult to discuss even the basics of the plot without major spoilers. Seems there's a R1 DVD and a just released German Blu-ray version.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder about this movie, I had no idea it was already released on DVD! I will definitely have to pick it up!

I had really wanted to see this one. I remember reading several very positive reviews while it was in the festival circuit, and it stars Marc Senter who was terrific in The Lost.

3. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

This is now streaming on Netflix and is excellent. It is best to just watch without knowing anything about it and let the plot unfold but you have to stick with it as you may find it slow. The last 20 minutes are tough to watch although not a lot is actually shown. Some people may not like the political/social subtext.

Rumley's previous movie, The Living and the Dead was also great. He is definitely someone to watch.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Just finished watching Red White & Blue on Netflix. Haven't been that bummed out by a film since Martyrs... Great independent film.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

My thoughts / feelings exactly. Watched this as the second film in a triple bill tonight with a friend. We were both blown away by this one but it left us feeling a bit deflated....powerful stuff!:nervous:

6. Stige

Stige Active Member

the german blu is well worth getting. Great movie

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm all for watching a film with no fore-knowledge, but the comparison to martyrs has me hesitating. i thought martyrs tried way to hard to be "intense" without building any kind of character or story, and therefore was about as intense as watching a makeup effects highlight real. considering that those are my feelings about martyrs, can anyone say whether or not they think i'd enjoy this?

8. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

This is, to be honest, a much more solid film. It's a "proper" movie with a thoroughly gripping plot. I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10. It has a slow burn but it's never boring. Give it a spin. It's not a pleasant film but it's thoroughly well made. Avoid reviews, though, as you don't want to know too much going in!

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is a damn good film--superior in every respect to typical genre offerings. There's some pretty extreme violence. But it serves the plot. It doesn't drive the plot like it does in more conventional horror offerings.

Performances are truly outstanding across the board. But Noah Taylor is a standout. If you've only seen him in flicks like Almost Famous and The Life Aquatic you'll be completely unprepared for what he manages here. He embodies a vastly different type of character in a truly genuine and startling way.

If you're looking for vicarious thrills and escapism, this won't be to your liking. But if you're up for a vivid, unflinching look at some of the true horrors of our world check this out. Just don't go in expecting the usual hallmarks of the genre. This is much more of a dark drama than anything that's usually characterized as a horror film. It plays more like an indie character study of troubled lives--which makes its unwillingness to compromise that much more grounded and disturbing.

I'll be keeping an eye on the director going forward.

10. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

The British anthology film Little Deaths has a 30 minute contribution by Simon Rumley (director of Red, White and Blue) and it is absolutely fantastic.

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Good stuff here - just watched it last night. If you can get through the first hour of somewhat repetitiveness and plot building then you will be rewarded. Do we think a US Blu will come?

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It is doubtful. So far, IFC hasn't gone back and re-released any of their DVD titles on blu-ray. At least not to my knowledge.

If they did go back, I'd love to get Undocumented on blu-ray. Also, it unfortunately doesn't look like The Corridor will be getting a blu-ray release.