Santa's Slay

Discussion in 'General' started by Evil Dead Guy, Nov 16, 2004.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i think jack frost 2 on dvd is still available anyway nowhere near as good as the first film but still entertaining

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I remember liking this, but can't remember much about it. It was certainly better than that horror film with Kane, See No Evil?? Was that it?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm planning on watching this one around Xmas again. It's certainly a fun little movie that gets better everytime I see it.

4. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I was expecting the worst and and I actually really enjoyed it. Completely off-the-wall fun.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was expecting total crap, but this is rather good. Santa's killing spree begins from the very start and every other scene is him killing more people. It's also pretty inventive with the slayings.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but this might be the best gimmick horror film yet.

6. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I bought and watched this based on all of the good reviews I've read and mostly enjoyed it. The first 5 minutes are amazing and Goldberg makes the most ridiculous Santa Claus possible.

7. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Yeah, but after that, the film sorta runs out of stream. :evil:

8. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m New Member

Watched this free ondemand. I went in expecting it to be really bad but was pleasantly surprised. It was actually a lot of fun. It is very entertaining and fast paced, mostly comedy as opposed to horror. Very little gore but some fun slays. My wife even liked it. She was laughing hysterically at much of it. A couple scenes we had to rewind to hear again. Great holiday cheese and a DVD I will be adding to my collection.

9. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Agreed. After the opening sequence this film falls apart and becomes boring. Almost enough to make Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2 to be considered a good Xmas horror. Almost..

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. If the breakneck energy of that opening segment could have been maintained this would really have been something. But the rest of the flick is really ho-hum. The Rankin Bass parody should have been a show-stopper. It's not. I don't think I'd make it through the whole flick if I go back to this one.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Watched this after not having seen it in a few years, and it made me incredibly happy. Fun from start to finish, with a decent laugh every minute. Never recognized the grandfather as Robert Culp before! I don't watch wrestling, but the Goldberg guy is pretty great here, goofy Santa suit aside. I had a big smile on my face for all 78 minutes and it definitely got me into the Christmas spirit! All I want for Christmas is Santa's Slay 2.

12 years later, can we officially accept this one as a yuletide masterpiece yet?

And can we open our motherfucking presents now?

Natas likes this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I see Germany got a Blu-ray release under the title Very Bad Santa. Is it just one of their upconverts or did they really pull from a HD master?

And apparently the Blu-ray is 85 minutes long? If anything PAL would be shorter. Worth investigating...

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've been wondering the same thing. The German Blu-ray has been out for 5+ years now, and information seems to be hard to find on it.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Blu-ray is not NTSC or PAL (which are video standards for SD) since it is 1080P, so it is universally the same format all over the world other than region code locking, so there is no framerate speedup because content will run at it's original framerate. Can't explain the longer running time for Santa's Slay, but it seems to be confirmed on IMDb that the Blu-ray runtime is longer so maybe it's an alternate/extended cut?

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

1) Blu-ray supports 1080i25, which is a Europe broadcast standard, and can be colloquially be called PAL. (Also 1080i30 "NTSC")
    The French release of The Fearless Vampire Killers ( Bal des vampires ) is 1080i 25fps and suffers 4% *cough*PAL*cough* speedup.

2) I specifically said that it couldn't be that, because even if it could, it would be shorter no longer.

o_O

Anyways, my first suspicion is this is a misprint that's gone unchallenged. There's no details, and no real info that the Blu-ray is anything better than an upconvert, so I'm pretty skeptical. If we could speak German we'd probably get the low down that it's crap. I did some searches on it using German words and didn't get far.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Could be a misprint. LionsGate DVD says 95 mins on back, which it's definitely not.

It could have the extended end credits (gag reel) and deleted scenes from the DVD put back in the movie? That might bring it close to 85 mins?

17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Just watched this for the first time since it came out. Such a funny movie......lot of goofy fun. I appreciate you guys reminding me of this forgotten gem.

Hearing James Cain call a Christmas dinner guest of his a "half a fag" is what the holidays are all about. LOL