Slender Man (2018)

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

sinister likes this.
  2. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll eventually watch this, but it looks fairly generic going by this first trailer.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This looks atrocious!

4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the trailer but put it on my list. I heard about that court case and a bit about the story. So put me in the curious camp about the movie.

5. CPT HOOK

There's a new trailer out that makes the movie look fairly watchable:

PG-13. Opens August 10th against The Meg, which seems like a mistake given that The Meg will surely attract all the horror audience. I think Sony just wants this out there and over with.

Zombie Dude and sinister like this.
  6. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I played the game for about an hour then deleted it from my Xbox. I found it boring and couldn't get involved. Hopefully, the movie is better.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It seems a few years too late...

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That trailer is way better than the last. I'm actually wanting to see this now.

9. CPT HOOK

Caught a matinee this morning in a completely empty theater (this being the second time in the past week I've had an entire theater to myself, the other being The Darkest Minds). I didn't think it was the total trash fire that Sony's release strategy and that first trailer would lead you to believe. In fact, as far as PG-13 teen horror goes, it was probably above average. Certainly better than The Bye Bye Man and Blumhouse's Truth Or Dare.

I was surprisingly into it for the first half. I really enjoyed how authentically midwestern it was. I'm also a fan of goofy suburban teen horror, and this was extremely suburban / high school. The movie certainly has great atmosphere.

However, it's severely lacking in the horror department. Pretty mild stuff. Once it gets going, it essentially becomes endless scenes of teenage girls investigating strange noises or wandering through crazy Nightmare On Elm Street style dream sequences. The resolution of it all just kind of left me thinking "so what?".

I wouldn't rush out to the theater to see it or anything, but it's perfectly watchable. That second trailer is a pretty fair representation of the movie. I'm glad I went because I love having the entire theater to myself. Best way to watch a movie. Plus, they played the Halloween trailer. As I said, the movie had great atmosphere, which made it a pretty easy watch even though it goes totally off-the-rails as it goes along.

othervoice1, Natas and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

Looking back at trailer #1, there are some major scenes there that weren't in the final movie. Specifically death scenes of characters who pretty much just disappear from the movie. I have to wonder if this was toned down for the PG-13, because they're some pretty notable omissions.

I'll use the spoiler tag, but since they're in the trailer and not in the movie, they're not necessarily spoilers.

The characters of Chloe and Hallie's boyfriend Tom both pretty much disappear from the movie. Last we see of them, they both just look depressed and tired.

In the trailer, there's a scene where Chloe stabs herself in the eye with a scalpel during science class. This never happens in the movie, however the science class scene is there . They're dissecting cow eyes, but Chloe never stabs herself.

Also seen in the trailer is a quick shot of Tom jumping off the school roof, which is not in the movie.

The trailer ends with a bloodied Katie emerging from the woods and being rescued by police officers. At least I think it's supposed to be Katie, I can't tell. In the movie, Katie disappears into the woods on a school field trip and is never seen again.

Everything in trailer #2 was in the movie, from what I recall.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

Blu-ray release on October 30th. No word of an unrated cut, or even deleted scenes to address the missing kills that are featured in the trailer.

The only special feature is a “Summoning Slender Man: Meet the Cast” featurette.

[​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

This will be a blind buy

13. sinister

sinister Active Member

Thought the trailer looked promising but this was pretty disappointing. A wasted opportunity as it definitely had potential, it has a few good moments but some cheap CGI and poorly developed story and characters make it something probably only kids would be impressed with. I ended up forwarding through sections of the 2nd half.

fceurich39 likes this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watched a blu-ray rip a few days back, and it’s one of the worst horror movies I’ve ever seen.

The characters are boring as fuck, and it feels more like a horror movie made for kids. Slenderman was barely in it. I almost fell asleep three times during the movie.

Don’t waste your time on this crap...