Squirm (Arrow Video) / 16th September

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Demoni, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

[​IMG]

One of the most original and entertaining of the revenge-of-nature films that characterised mid-1970s American horror, Squirm begins with a pylon being downed by a thunderstorm, sending millions of volts into the wet, conductive mud, which naturally gives hundreds of thousands of its wriggly inhabitants an insatiable hunger for human flesh.

And since the accident has also inconveniently cut off the electricity to Fly Creek, Georgia, its population could hardly be more vulnerable when the sun goes down. Houses can be barricaded against most intruders, but what happens when they’re small enough to get into the water supply?

Writer-director Jeff Lieberman (who also made the cult classics Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn) achieves a near-perfect blend of knowing wit and good old-fashioned scares, with make-up genius Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London) on hand for some of the memorably disgusting special effects.

Special Features:
    - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD uncut presentation, available in the UK for the first time!
    - Original Uncompressed Mono Audio
    - Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    - Audio commentary with director Jeff Lieberman
    - Filmed Live Q&A session with Lieberman and star Don Scardino from New York’s Anthology Film Archives (2011)
    - Interview with Kim Newman
    - Original Trailer
    - Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
    - Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Lee Gambin, author of Massacred by Mother Nature and an interview with Jeff Lieberman by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
    - More to be announced!

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Why do these look like DVD cases? Have they stopped making slipcovers?

Was Kim Newman involved in the making of this film?

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Many moons ago, thank god. I hated it because with time it got loose.

They only do slipcover edition for certain products and in limited quantity, sold on their site.

It´s a normal tick blu-ray box but transparent in color, like this...

[​IMG]

4. elDomenechHDG

Oh, OK - Thanks. They look good.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

They are, really... the transparent looks rather well.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Can't wait! Now we just need Just Before Dawn and Blue Sunshine and all of Lieberman's 70s/80s films will be in high-def.

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Yes! Squirm is my favourite Lieberman, but I'd love to upgrade on Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn as well.

And for the record, I never loved slipcovers either. They tend to be flimsy and show the wear faster than plastic cases anyway.

8. elDomenechHDG

Arrow is apparently releasing the Ron Palillo horror flick HELLGATE. Maybe this is old news but it's the first I'm hearing about this and I'm very happy. It does seem like a random title, though. I wonder who they licensed it from. Anchor Bay released it on a double feature DVD a while ago (with THE PIT). I love that these old movies are getting such deluxe treatment.

On the booklet that's included in Arrow's new Squirm BD, Jeff Lieberman is interviewed and they ask him about Just Before Dawn and even Remote Control. In both instances he gives answers like "they're releasing JBD on DVD" and "someone should release Remote Control" - this is obviously an old interview because there's no mention of JBD jumping to Blu-ray. I wonder how old, exactly, this interview is.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

On Blu-ray, or just DVD? :eek2: If it's Blu-ray, I'm in! Hellgate is a guilty pleasure favorite of mine.

10. elDomenechHDG

Don't know. At this point it's only a tease on an insert that's being included with copies of Squirm. The good news is, everything on that card has been or will be released to Blu-ray.

11. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Sounds like its around 2006ish?

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ah, thanks. I found these on other forums which list that it is indeed coming to Blu-ray:

http://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38590

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cur...-titles/6211-new-arrow-announcements-179.html

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=164788&page=224

Apparently High Rise Productions; who do a lot of Arrow's extras have confirmed it on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Rising-Productions/111964652147757

...over an hour of new bonus features, and it's been in the works for over a year.

...and my copy of Squirm should be arriving from Amazon UK any day now...

13. elDomenechHDG

You know, this is a potentially exciting development. This makes 2 New World titles that Arrow has licensed, the first being VAMP. Could other New World titles be in the pipeline? Actually, Arrow also released Dead End Drive-In on DVD so this is 3. I'm keeping an eye on any developments as there are numerous films from that catalog I'd love to see get the deluxe high-def treatment

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Hell Comes To Frogtown... make that three!