Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017, Rian Johnson) review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 13, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017, Rian Johnson)

Well this film is a very mixed bag and somewhat a disappointment. After JJ Abrams brought back the magic with a somewhat overly familiar kick off to the new trilogy I had been looking forward to seeing it go in new directions for the next episode. However whilst it did go in some new directions (as well as mirroring previous chapters), I did not like where it went or think it was executed very well.

I am not really a fan of the director and this did nothing to change it. The visuals bar the space battles were not memorable, the design of creatures was often poor and going backwards with an over reliance of cgi is such a shame after how good The Force Awakens looked. The humour in the Force Awakens was much mover over the top than we had ever seen before in Star Wars but it still worked but in The Last Jedi it kicks off with Marvel Cinematic Universe style humour that doesn't fit and continued to sprinkle that in throughout. The magic was missing and the beats just felt all wrong for large sections of the film. I did not care for the script but it was the directorial execution that was more uninspired and I am happy that JJ will be back in the directors chair for the last part.

There were things I did like though... as in most all of the scenes on the Island with Luke Skywalker and Rey. As mentioned before the space battles looked very slick, especially the opening one. A couple of new characters shone like Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) and DJ (Benicio Del Toro) but some disappointing characters from The Force Awakens were still quite bad like Snoke (Andy Serkis), Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie) and Admiral Hux (Domhnall Gleeson). One thing that was a pleasant surprise was the little furry creatures known as Porgs that have caused much debate were actually pretty good and used sparingly.

In the end it was a very messy unfocused film that did not wow outside of the space battles with a mixed bag of performances and too much silly humour which should not be confused for charm. A huge disappointment but some seeds are set that could easily be steered into a rousing final chapter in two years time.

4.5/10

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Who has tickets?

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I have tix for a Saturday afternoon show. Not reading ANYTHING until after.

thing likes this.
  4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

After letting the film settle in for a few days I’m gonna drop the score

5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I love the movie. It has flaws and drags in spots, but as an avid Star Wars fan I appreciated the new directions the story went. Unlike The Force Awakens, this isn't a carbon copy of a previous movie, but a Star Wars movie unto itself.

Myron Breck likes this.
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I thought this was so much better than Force Awakens. I’d give it an 8/10. People are really hating on it, the critic reviews are in the 90s and audience satisfaction is in the 50s. There were some parts I didn’t like, but I really don’t understand all the hate that this movie is getting. Like, episodes I and II are absolute fucking garbage. Attack of the Clones is one of the worst sci-fi/fantasies I’ve ever seen. The prequel trilogy is mostly crap. These new ones now are so refreshing.

I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a Star Wars movie this much. I liked Force Awakens, but I thought Rogue One was better, and Last Jedi I thought was even better than Rogue.

The opening to this was absolutely fucking fantastic. Best opening since the first one (A New Hope) in my opinion. One of the best things they ever did was take Star Wars out of the hands of George Lucas.

~Matt

7. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

As far as I can tell, all the hate is coming from Fanboys who don't like the direction Luke went, as if those neckbeards could come up with something better. They're also pissed that we don't find out who Rey's parents are, even though there's another entry coming. The hate is basically geek rage.

8. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Rey's parents were definitively addressed as being nobodies who abandoned her and then died anonymous deaths. She has no lineage to speak of. From a recent interview with writer/director Johnson:

In Last Jedi, we get the revelation that Rey is the child of no one of significant value. Can you talk about how you came to that conclusion?

That was like everything else in the movie, something that I came to through a process of breaking the story and figuring it out. The nice thing was I didn’t… I was very thankful there was no slip of paper that was handed to me that said Rey’s parents are so and so. The fact that I had the freedom to figure it out meant that for this story I could figure out the most dramatically potent answer to that question.

But you talked to J.J. [Abrams] about it.

I did yeah, oh yeah. Yeah. He didn’t, no, he didn’t dictate anything to me.

He didn’t have any idea?

Well, I don’t know. He might have had thoughts in his head who it was going to be, but he didn’t dictate them to me. He left it open, you know. First of all, I think I enjoy the notion of disconnecting the idea of tapping into this power in yourself and having it. I like the idea of disconnecting that from lineage. I think that feels “anyone can be President.” I think that’s kind of nice.

But the bigger thing was, if you look at for example, the Vader “I am your Father” moment from Empire [Strikes Back], I think that moment’s so powerful because it’s the hardest possible thing that Luke and the audience could hear at that moment. It takes away the easy answers basically. We thought he was just a bad guy that we could hate and want to kill, but that one sentence and suddenly it’s more complicated than that. It’s harder than that.

If Rey in this movie, if someone had told her yes, here’s the answer. You are so and so’s daughter. Here’s your place in this world. Here you go. That would be the easiest thing she and the audience could hear. It would hand her on a silver platter her place in all this. The hardest thing for all of us to hear and the thing that she doesn’t wanna hear and maybe we don’t either is that no, this is not going to be something where it’s going define you. And the fact that you don’t have this is gonna be used against you by Kylo to try and pull him into your orbit. This is going to be hard. And you’re gonna have to stand on your own two feet and define yourself in this story.

9. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

And, for the record, there was a lot to like, and love, about Last Jedi. A huge improvement of the nostalgia-wank that was The Force Awakens. I am going to get out and see it again while off work for the holidays.

Matt89 likes this.
  10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

this can all change if JJ course corrects the saga

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

strange i have not met an avid star wars fan in real life who did not at least have mixed to hate feelings on this film. Casual fans seem to love it though.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  12. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I don't think the movie is flawless. There are some slow spots and areas that don't entirely work, but overall I think it's a kick ass action movie with some of the best moments in the series.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Am I the only person who assumed that he was lying to her about her parents??? I mean, he's trying to get her to give up on the only thing she cares about finding and come over to the Dark Side. If she had important parentage and he knew about it, do you honestly think he'd tell her? No. He'd say, "Yeah, I know who they are and they are worthless turds. C'mon, let's go."

14. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I am and have been a huge fan of Star Wars since the original debuted in theaters ( my father and I saw it six times). I have no mixed feelings at all, it was fantastic and a much better film than Force Awakens in my opinion. It stands on it’s own story wise and was an absolute blast to see in the theater. It was great to not have another Death Star centered retread as well.Haters are gonna hate, but this film was awesome.

Myron Breck, Steel76 and Matt89 like this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lol I can’t believe there’s a petition to remove Last Jedi from the series. I mean come the fuck on, that’s OBVIOUSLY NOT going to happen. Like honestly, THIS is the one you want removed? Not the piece of garbage that is Episode I or Attack of the Clones? By far the two worst movies in the entire series.

I just think a lot of Star Wars fans were pissed that this didn’t turn out the way they wanted it to, so they’re claiming it’s a bad movie and well, I guess that’s too bad for them. On its own it is a competently made film. And the criticism over lack of character development I think is a totally bullshit claim. First of all, since when has character development been one of Star Wars’ strong suits? And it’s not like this movie had any less character development than most in the series. The only complaint I’d have is that it ran a little too long. But some of the battles I think were some of the best in the entire series, especially when
    Laura Dern blasts into hyperspace through the enemy ships, completely destroying them.
    and the opening as well was just fucking fantastic.

I’m gonna go see it again over the holidays.

~Matt

thing and Steel76 like this.
  16. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I don't see any reason to correct the course as far as Rey's lineage. At all. Besides, JJ was reportedly fine with Johnson's choice. I do wish the movie had gone further to erode the tired binary 'dark vs. light' view of the universe, but I am overall happy with the direction TLJ went.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Movie is a clusterfuck but I really enjoyed it also.

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Honeslty, I think one of the biggest missed opportunities was to
    have Rey join Kylo and turn darkside.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

My company rented out an entire Imax theater next Friday for a showing of this...... catered and everything. SO.......not sure yet if I'm gonna go, but if I do, it'll be the very first Star War film ill ever see......ever.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I was actually wanting that to happen. It would have made episode 9 very interesting and they could have taken the series on a whole different route.

Zombie Dude likes this.