Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I think you guys might be missing my point. I know Synapse isn't directly shipping them out. But surely they have other, better options. Don isn't going to know this was a debacle unless people let him know.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received mine from CAV/Synapse earlier in the mail...

It was nicely packaged in a box with bubble wrap, and the Slipcover was packaged separately. Everything was thankfully perfect with no imperfections or slashes. :)

How they spelled "Susperia" on the shipping label was quite amusing when I first looked at it.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh he knows. People on blu-ray.com have definitely let him know. ;)

~Matt

4. shape22

Shocking that anyone would utter a negative word there. Ha.

Kat, SuspEria was the first thing I noticed, too. Like you said, at least they did a nice job with the actual packaging.

5. shape22

Good Lord. To those who are still waiting on Suspiria, all I can say is IT'S WORTH THE WAIT. After the last few years, I hate to get my hopes up too high about anything. In this case, my high hopes were exceeded. This is a truly astounding-looking movie, and a new high-water mark for genre film restoration. Images are so much clearer and more vivid than they've ever been before. No other Argento movie looks like this. Hell, I'm not sure ANY other movie looks like this.

This is the landmark transfer this movie deserved. I pray that Synapse gets a shot at Halloween.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It looks like mine finally arrived in Atlanta today, so I'm hoping I might see it tomorrow....I'm really excited to check out this PQ!

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

My understanding is that it should look pretty similar to the other 4k releases of Suspiria that have come out in different regions. Synpase just did further colour correction. I may be mistaken and they've dobe more than that but that was how I understood it.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m sure Synapse’s version is very similar to the 4K restoration done overseas. However, Synapse’s was personally approved by both Argento and cinematographer Luciano Tovoli, so one could argue that’s the most “accurate” version, but I’m sure they both look quite similar. And judging by the blu-ray.com review of the Australian disc that uses that transfer, it also looks stunning.

Oh and didn’t Synapse get ahold of the original 4.0 mix from its initial 1977 theatrical release? I think that is also exclusive to their version.

~Matt

9. shape22

That's my understanding--that the 4.0 restoration is exclusive to Synapse.

The color correction is what will end up separating this release from the others. During Suzie's initial entrance into the school, I was amazed by the vividness of all the different colors. The blues and greens especially pop.

It's obvious that Synapse devoted a ton of time to ensuring this release is as perfect as possible. Even Criterion doesn't meet that goal as consistently as Synapse. The 4k releases will obviously have higher resolution--but I doubt they'll be as optimized as Synapse's version. It's a revelation.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched it last night and the transfer looks AMAZINGLY GOOD. The colors are just phenomenal. The lossless 96kHz 24-bit 4.0 audio track also sounds damn near perfect.

I saw where some people were bitching because the Steelbook has a very small "DVD" logo at the bottom of the spine, and of course there is no DVD included. LOL But seriously...who the fuck cares??? Have they seen some of the mistakes other studios make all the time??? The Slipcover corrects it on a shelf anyway.

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Mine finally arrived today! I have done my fair share of eye-rolling at both steelbook and slip cover fans over the years, but this is a revelation! USE BOTH, SO THE SLIP COVER PROTECTS THE FRAGILE STEELBOOK!!!!! Has no one else thought to do this before? It's certainly the first one for me, but it's also my 3rd steelbook.

What can I say? It's the little things in life.

othervoice1 and gobad2003 like this.
  12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I feel like they should offer slips for anyone who purchased the previous Steelbooks. This is great!

othervoice1 and Myron Breck like this.
  13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I saw this restoration theatrically, but the Synapse disc exceeds all expectations.

Witches!

othervoice1 and zbinks like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see this compared to the UK 4K disc when that comes out. I'm guessing Synapse will win with colour correction but others thoughts on the two should be interesting.

othervoice1 and zbinks like this.
  15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I've watched the Synapse release three times since Monday. I'm still eager to see the TLE restoration for myself, via the Cult Films Indiegogo release, but based on screencaps I've seen of other releases that have used TLE's new 4K restoration, I have a feeling the Synapse release will continue to be my go to disc. I think the thing that really stands out to me is not so much how different the colors the colors are between the two restorations, but rather how vibrant the colors are on the Synapse release while the TLE restoration just seems kind of dead and lifeless.

I'm still a little bewildered by TLE completing two color corrections for the same film, within the span of only 3 or 4 years, with drastically different results. Despite some of the inherent issues that existed with the previous HD-master, I tend to think TLE would have gotten better results by trying to replicate their 2014 color correction of that master, rather than what they did for this 4K restoration.

Tovoli, yes. Argento, no. As far as I'm aware, other than a second-hand report from Don May, Jr. about a conversation that was relayed to him by Luciano Tovoli, Argento hasn't publicly commented on the Synapse release. I think that conversation was mostly Tovoli relaying his observations to Argento.

Officially, Argento seems to be endorsing the UK release, but he was not involved in any capacity with either restoration. If reports are true that, at screenings of his films, he spends most of his time in the lobby, I'd venture a guess he still hasn't really watched either restoration, either. That would render his endorsement totally meaningless, IMO.

Whatever the case may be regarding Argento's position, Tovoli's endorsement may hold more weight, given the amount of technical detail he seems to relay in On Suspiria and Beyond: A Conversation with Cinematographer Luciano Tovoli.

16. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Fingers crossed that my one gift this year is the Synapse steelbook...I sold my Anchor Bay set earlier this year!

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Mine is still stuck in pre-shipment. I contacted CAV, I’m really really starting to get pissed off. I can understand some people getting them in the mail first who ordered later but for my package to sit in pre-shipment for a fucking week with no movement is just unacceptable.

This was a really fucking bad move on Synapse’s part to release this at the peak of the Christmas rush and then not be available to answer any questions because they’ve gone on holidays. And CAV hasnt responded to me yet either. This is fucking bullshit. I paid so much for shipping too only to get screwed.

Not happy about this at all.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It is possible that your order is taking longer since it is going to Canada. The shippers however should have gotten the packages ready first for anyone that actually had to pay shipping fees. It will all be worth it once you get the discs in your hands.

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

It's the post office, dude. Guaranteed. They're so behind with updates.....your package will arrive before any updates on their website, ill bet anything.

Katatonia, Matt89 and Angelman like this.
  20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fingers fucking crossed lol

~Matt

Natas likes this.