The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This was an inevitable watch for me

The Thing (Shout Factory Blu-Ray) - This was covered on History of Horror last night, plus I watched a couple of "reaction" videos on YouTube. I'm not gonna discuss the movie, if there's someone here who hasn't seen it at least 10 times, they don't even belong on this site. I'm gonna talk more about the YouTube videos and include some links. I think this modern trend of "watching a person watch something" is beyond stupid, but a couple of these showed up in my recommended videos so I got suckered in. For the uninitiated, some young person who's totally unfamiliar with an older movie, or song, or something like that watches it and records their reactions. And I have to say, I got a kick out of watching these twentysomethings and their first exposure to The Thing. It's great watching them yell "Puppy!!" when they see the husky in the opening scene and have no idea what it truly is. I also never realized that mystery of who destroyed the blood samples is actually fully explained, so there's that. If you got 45 minutes to kill, watch these videos.

Rocker10, Gore Lunatic, Colin and 5 others like this.
  2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Some of those first time reaction videos really annoy me when they talk through the movie asking questions out loud (it’s your first time let the movie play out before trying to think ahead of everything!). How about when they look at the camera and comment just as an interesting thing in the film happens...and they miss it. Then they end with “so what did I think of...” and I’m thinking did they even experience the film enough?
    I had to stop watching them and just watch retro reviews instead where the commenter reflects on the film afterward. My current favorite is Brandon Tenold.

indrid13 likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 17TH:

61.) Titicut Follies (1967) (DVR / TCM) - This was recommended in the Halloween Calendar thread while discussing the TCM schedule. I guess I didn't fully understand what I was getting into, because it isn't a horror movie, it's just an incredibly uncomfortable watch. This is a controversial documentary made back in the 1960s, consisting of very matter-of-fact footage of the day-to-day at a psychiatric correctional facility in Massachusetts. It's bookended with footage of the facility's talent show, which is where the Titicut Follies title comes from. Most of the footage consists of male patients being stripped fully naked and dragged around the facility. It's very clear the doctors in charge have no idea what they are doing, and may even be more mentally disturbed than some of the patients. In one scene, a man is force fed through a tube up his nose, while the doctor inserting the tube stands above him with a cigarette dangling from his mouth. This scene is intercut with footage of his corpse, as the man died soon after. I hated this movie. The director exposes some pretty horrific going-ons, and it needed to be done, however in releasing this publicly as a documentary he also crossed a line in exploiting these patients, many of whom are being filmed completely naked and forcefully humiliated. According to the director, he was given verbal consent, but we have to take his word for that. Also, in a place like that, do the inmates really have a choice but to comply with whatever is put in front of them? Did they even know what the footage was for? With many of these places no longer in existence, this documentary no longer serves any purpose but to exploit the abused men. The story around the film is fascinating, but the movie itself shouldn't be watched.

62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew" (HBO Max) - So, episode 14 more or less solved the season long mystery, so where else is left to go? Well, just because Nancy and the gang solved the case doesn't mean the police have. Most of these episodes is spent trying to exonerate Nancy's father. Although appearances can be deceiving, as what we thought we knew about the death of dead beauty queen Lucy turned out to be not the whole story. Episode 16 ends with the series' most shocking reveal yet. Only two episodes left. I'm really enjoying this show so far. Looking forward to the finale.

LOVECRAFT.png

63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence" (DVR / HBO) - Another episode, another genre. This time we get an adventure tale ala Indiana Jones or National Treasure. I'm really enjoying the format of this series, we're basically getting a collection of stories where black characters are being put front and center of traditionally white genres. Although this was probably my least favorite of the four episodes so far, it was still very enjoyable. There are things about this one that felt a bit rushed and muddled, but it still delivered some fun adventure set-pieces. The finale airs tonight, so I'm a bit behind, but I'm hoping to have the season finished by Halloween.

GRAVE ROBBERS.png

64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989) (Blu-ray) - I ventured down the Mexican slasher rabbit hole a few years back and watched all the ones I could get my hands on, so this wasn't new for me. However, having watched all those movies in such a short period of time, having them all kind of blend together here and there, it was nice to watch this one again just on its own. The plot concerns a group of grave robbers who stumble across a strange tomb and remove an axe from the chest of one of the corpses. Unfortunately, this allows said corpse to reanimate and wreak havoc on the town, including a group of four female campers set-up nearby. This movie is basically the movie the characters are watching in the theater in Demons, with a big Friday The 13th style camping massacre stuck in the middle. Great fun, great atmosphere, huge body count. The Vinegar Syndrome disc looks great, and I enjoyed the interview with the director. Hoping to see Vinegar Syndrome tackle more of these in the future, including ones outside of the BCI set.
    Actually, I was tempted to watch the Halloween set Vacaciones De Terror 2 this month, but with Vinegar Syndrome dipping their toes in here, I figure I should probably wait and see if they release it.
    For those whom Vinegar Syndrome's new blu-ray was their first venture into this genre, we have a whole thread dedicated to Mexican slashers here on the forum.

BASEMENT.png

65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also includes episode: Stay Out Of The Basement) (DVD) - This DVD includes two double-length Goosebumps episodes, both directed by Canadian horror king William Fruet (Killer Party, Funeral Home, Blue Monkey, Spasms, etc). Although A Night In Terror Tower gets top billing, it's not one of my favorite episodes. It's kind of boring and overlong, concerning siblings who get lost on a castle tour of Terror Tower. The highlight of the episode is Toronto's Casa Loma as Terror Tower, which is supposed to be in England in the episode. Buried in the second half of this disc is a great little episode: Stay Out Of The Basement. This one should have gotten top billing. It's a very green and slimy episode, where a sister and brother suspect something is up with their father and his strange plant experiments in the basement. In an especially creepy bit, the sister spies on her father and finds him bleeding green goo, with plants growing out of his head (which he had been hiding underneath a baseball cap). Good stuff, with a lot of fun suspense set-pieces.

OCTOBER 18TH:

66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11 (DVD) - Four more episodes. In The Dead Letter, Marshall is haunted by the ghost of Tobey Maguire, who wants Marshall to a deliver a love-letter to his childhood love. This episode features some pretty interesting connections to the Critters franchise, as his childhood love is now the elderly Herta Ware (Nana from Critters 2) and her daughter is played by Aimee Brooks (the lead from Critters 3). In fact, the little brother from Critters 3 was in Scariest Home Videos a few episodes ago. In Who's Who, a young girl learns whatever she draws becomes a reality. In The Lost Hour, Marshall finds himself in a strange limbo when he sets his clock back an hour for daylight savings time. Lastly, in Marshall's Theory Of Believability, a professor of the paranormal rolls through town just as a UFO lands nearby. None of these were really standouts, but they were all consistent and fun enough. The later two were directed by Bob Balaban.

NANCY DREW.png

67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting" (HBO Max) - This season was supposed to be 22 episodes, but due to COVID-19 it was cut short to 18. As a result, episode 16 feels more like a season finale, solving the primary mysteries and wrapping everything up, while these two episodes almost feel like the start of a new season, setting up a new mystery that is abruptly interrupted just as they're kicking off. I really enjoyed this season though. Season 2 is currently filming, and planned for a January season premiere. Very much looking forward to it. Until then, this concludes Nancy Drew!

68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case" (DVR / HBO) - The genre of the week is body-horror, and boy does it deliver in what is arguably the most graphic episode yet. It's also perhaps the most heavy-handed, but they really go for it. The episode begins with Ruby waking up as a white woman, and as she goes out into the world she learns all the advantages. However, at the end of each day, she turns back to black, a particularly gruesome and bloody transition that involves shedding of the skin. There's also a clever twist ending here that'll make you want to look back at the previous episodes to confirm that it checks out. Good stuff!

SPELLCASTER.png

69.) Spellcaster (1988) (Blu-ray) - On paper, this is pretty typical Charlie Band fare, but where this one really shines is the cast. Richard Blade, Bunty Bailey, Traci Lind, Michael Zorek, Adam Ant, etc. Everyone in this movie is a lot of fun, and based on the extras on the disc it sounds like they all had a lot of fun making it. The plot concerns a contest where the contestants are tasked with finding a million dollar check in an old Italian castle. As the contest goes on and the claws come out, they start getting picked off one by one via supernatural means. A majority of the movie takes place at this castle, and the plot is really nothing to write home about, but the movie certainly has its charms. How can you not like a movie that opens with a music video? Quaint little '80s nostalgia flick.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7

Rocker10, Gore Lunatic, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

You might want to back track on that. She doesn't glam up in La Llorona.

KGBRadioMoskow and indrid13 like this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Crimson Peak -

Crimson Peak Mondo Poster.jpg

I'll always check out Guillermo Del Toro's movies just based on his previous work. I'll look at a poster or two. But other than that, that's it. No trailers. So even though Crimson Peak might not be the best horror movie. It's one of those movies that if you watch it on a cold night, perhaps in the Fall or Winter. It's a pretty good horror tale. Actually it's more of a romance horror with a feel similar to older mystery movies. A scene in Crimson Peak reminded me of an old Hitchcock movie. If you've ever seen those women who run from houses romance book covers, that's also what this movie reminded me of.

crimson peak woman running from house cover.jpg

I've never read any of those books but I assume the events in Crimson Peak would be fairly close. In fact, I wish that they advertised Crimson Peak with a poster featuring the main character running from the house. Even though the movie has a bunch of twists. I think that would have been a good poster. Or perhaps even an old style Hollywood suspense poster. This one is kind of similar but still a good simple running poster would be better.

crimson_peak_ver2.jpg

But I assume they wanted to sell the horror aspect of a Guillermo del Toro movie.

Crimson Peak is a beautiful movie too. Fantastic sets, costumes, and locations. The house might be a bit too creepy and borderline unlivable in areas. Maybe that is what happens though when you have a massive house and not enough servants. It reminded me of that horror movie with the ghost detectives that go to London. The one with the ghost nun. They visit a house with a flooded out basement. I thought that house was unlivable too.

But anyway, the cast in Crimson Peak is good with many notable recent and older actors. Jessica Chastain plays a character that reminds me of some of Eva Green's characters. In a way the only real negative to me are some of the horror bits. The deaths are really violent and gruesome. And the aftermath of one death scene was sad. Also, I thought there would be more to the mystery of Crimson Peak and the characters. The posters hint dread with "Beware Crimson Peak" as the tag line. And also ghosts. There are ghosts and I do love the opening line and scene. But that dread and I guess the darkness that I assumed is missing. I don't want to spoil anything for those who are late like me in seeing the movie. Other than that, I think Crimson Peak is worth revisiting every year or so on that Winter night.

After watching the movie, I listened to some old interviews with Guillermo del Toro. I'm lucky in that I tend to save stuff like this as they seem to have removed the full versions and only have segments up on the site.

https://www.dga.org/Events/2015/Dec2015/CrimsonPeak_QnA_1015.aspx

He calls the movie a Gothic Romance movie. And mentions that they made them back in the day. So I guess that's why it feels like an old school movie to me.

----

Never Hike in the Snow - A Friday the 13th Fan Film -

I guess this is a bit better than the first one from the same people. But it's still not worth keeping for me. Stuff like this makes me feel a lot better about my Ultimate Friday the 13th project.

The short does have some good stuff. I liked a few of the opening shots. And as a big fan of Friday the 13th Part 6, this does have another surprise like the last short film. Although it doesn't make much sense given the events of Part 6. But still it's a cool moment, that I don't want to spoil.

But at the end of this short, I was just thinking, that's it? Perhaps they are working on a third part. This is only worth checking out if you like Friday the 13th Part 6. Other than that, I would skip it.

6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 18th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

42) Who Slew Auntie Roo?: A disturbed widow lures - and imprisons - unsuspecting orphaned children into her mansion. An odd blend of “Hansel & Gretel” by way of Faulkner’s “A Rose for Emily”, making for a bizarre children’s “horror” movie. The film is dense in plot – to its own detriment – with a bunch of silly subplots that amount to nothing. It presents itself with a very serious, dramatic tone, but has this weird comedy of errors element to the story, where the children believe Shelly Winters wants to cook and eat them, when in reality she is just a lonely and disturbed old lady. Winters is really the heart and soul of the film, giving a nuanced performance. She never comes across as a psychopath, but as a broken, sad and mentally unstable person who can’t except reality. The ending is quite strange, and nonsensical, but overall, I thought it was just ok. (5/10)

43) The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane: Rynn, a 13-year-old girl living a double life, will do anything to keep her secret from the locals in her small seaside town. More of a domestic drama than anything else, “The Little Girl…” is an interesting character study none the less. It was a strange watch, making it hard to empathize for Jodie Foster’s character since she displays a high level of psychopathy, often lying and manipulating everyone around her. I did find myself cheering her on at points when you factor in her creepy, twisted neighbor played by Martin Sheen (who’s fantastic in his role). The very 1970’s score that accompanied the film was out of place, making me feel like I was watching a B-grade neo-noir with the heavy bassline. I was also not a fan of the cliffhanger ending, leaving too many plot elements open ended. I defiantly wouldn’t say this was a bad film, but it lacks a lot in certain areas. (6/10)

**Both Titles are available on Amazon Prime.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #27:
    Dolly Dearest (1991)
    First Time Viewing (Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

Chucky was the first horror villain to truly scare me, thanks to seeing a TV spot for Child's Play 2 when I was in kindergarten. Since then it's been real easy for me to get into killer doll movies, even decidedly mediocre ones like Dolly Dearest. The problem here is whenever we aren't in a dark house in the middle of the night, eyes darting to the edge of the frame for a glimpse of Dolly, the film just sort of sits there.

[​IMG]
    Movie #28:
    Diabolique (1955)
    First Time Viewing (Criterion Blu-ray)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    18. RESURRECTIONISTS: Watch something that came out on one of the many awesome reissue labels that we love like Arrow, Criterion, Bleeding Skull, Scream Factory, Indicator, Vinegar Syndrome, AGFA, etc…

Mainly everything I watch is from one of the outstanding labels listed in this guideline, so I thought I'd catch up on a classic I'd missed up till now. I really enjoyed Diabolique, but was disappointed to have read about the famous twist years ago and watched the film with that piece of information at the forefront of my mind. What I didn't know is that the amazing suspense climax and twist is almost instantly muted by a secondary character putting everything right in a way that feels like it's more for the film standards boards of the time than organic to the story being told.

[​IMG]
    Movie #29:
    Blood Games (1990)
    First Time Viewing (Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray)
    *** (out of 5)

Hillbilly rape brigade gets mad when they lose at baseball to a bunch of babes in short shorts. They try to Deliverance the team, only to be I Spit on Your Grave'd in return.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

51JFFE1942L._SY445_.jpg

With the newly released Shout blu and a couple posts here about this film, it tickled my interest....I realized I havent seen this since the theaters when I was in high school. I picked up the old dvd used.

Man......I seriously slept on this over the years. It's a pretty fucking good little slasher. It has a great start/backstory.... The killer has a cool mask and the kills gradually get more and more brutal as the movie goes. I had a blast revisiting. I might end up getting the special edition blu. Side note: it has the best looking cast a slasher flick has ever had. Denise Richards in her prime.....unreal. If you're like me and disregarded this flick years ago, do yourself a favor and give it another chance this October.

I ended the night with a blu ray viewing of the Halloween classic, Trick r Treat. We've all seen it, mostly we all love it...it was a treat watching in HD for the first time. The dvd is dark as hell. So much fun and so much Halloween atmosphere.

I switched to Shiner Octoberfest last night for these. Real good, smooth fall brew. I think I still prefer Sam Adam's version but it was a good change. Cheers, guys. Can't believe the 31st is less than 2 weeks away.

raf,750x1000,075,t,000000_44f0b734a5.u5.jpg

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 17th/18th: Salem's Lot (1979)

Salems Lot.png

I don't have a particular afinity for vampire movies. Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural is one notable exception. Salem's Lot is another. It's been a few years since I last saw it, and enough time had passed that the jump scares worked with renewed impact on me. Kurt Barlow's first appearance drew a soprano high C from my throat (I checked the piano) - and I'm a 42 year old dude. I've said it before: Any movie that can provoke that kind of spontaneous reaction from me is okay in my book. Part of it is in the timing of sight and sound, but part of it is the atmosphere of the movie, the mindset it puts you in. Simply put, Hooper and King manage the difficult task of making the vampires scary. Much of the first half is devoted to exploring the characters and the quaint New England setting, but it's such an attractive setting that for once, I enjoyed the movie working slowly towards its horror high notes. And there are plenty of those: Ralphie Glick levitating out of the fog, Kurt Barlow's attack on the Petrie house and demonstration of telekinetic ability, and that scene of the newly turned Mike Ryerson in the rocking chair, slowly lifting his head to reveal his glowing eyes. This is one I'll no doubt want to revisit again in a few years, hopefully, in its original two episode format. The current Blu-ray presents it as one three-hour movie, and honestly, that's a long sit. :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight's viewing:

Cruel Jaws:

Shit jaws would be a more apt title. It's fucking bad, words cannot describe how bad. The acting, the dialogue, the effects all fucking shit.

The hulk hogan lookalike, the shark head and the diver in the shark mouth made me smile but for all the wrong reasons. This has been released in some territories as Jaws 5. And even with the abomination that was Jaws 4 this loose entry in the series is worse. You have been warned!

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 36:
    Pickaxe (2014) (DVD)

If Troma made the Hatchet movies, I think they'd be a lot like Pickaxe. There's lots of rude, nude, horny thirty year old teens. Lots of cheesy gore. Tiffany Shepis and A. Michael Baldwin put in a couple of good performances. This is grade a trash. But it's enjoyable trash.

[​IMG]

Day 18. RESURRECTIONISTS: Watch something that came out on one of the many awesome reissue labels that we love like Arrow, Criterion, Bleeding Skull, Scream Factory, Indicator, Vinegar Syndrome, AGFA etc…

Movie # 37:
    Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) (Blu-ray)

I was so happy to be able to upgrade my ages old DVD with the Shout blu-ray this year. One of my favorite horrors films. Slow, haunting, surreal and beautiful. Add to that a great, creepy score and gorgeous locations.

12. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Monstrous DVD
    Abominable (2020) DVD
    Exists DVD
    Night Of The Demon DVD

So I decided to have a Bigfoot night and started out with a couple of newer films that I picked up at Walmart. First one up is Monstrous. "Hey, who put a lesbian movie in my Bigfoot movie?!" That's what I said after watching this film. Don't get me wrong, I likes me some girl on girl, but I was expecting see some Bigfoot carnage. The story is about a girl who goes on a road trip to look for her missing sister and to cover costs, she partners up with another traveler who she doesn't know and they end up falling in love. There is a twist involving one of the girls and the missing sister that was a little interesting. The acting was well done too. Bigfoot meanwhile, only really appears at the beginning and ending of the film. Which is a shame because the Bigfoot costume looked decent enough and there were a couple of scenes where he looked creepy. It's worth a watch if you want to see something different in this subgenre. Abominable on the other hand, had plenty of Bigfoot/Yeti action and the gore was quite good. The movie is about a team that goes into the Himalayan mountains to look for a plant that can help with medical research. Of course they come across the Yeti and begin to get ripped apart. The movie is total cheese including the Yeti costume and the acting was bad. 'Nuff said. Exists is one of the better found footage films out there in my opinion. And the fact it's about Bigfoot makes it even better. The story is your typical cabin in the woods set up but I thought this was a well executed Bigfoot film with enough tension leading into the reveal of the beast and finale. I didn't care for any of the actors though, I found them to be unlikable and uninteresting. The Bigfoot costume looked great as well. Night Of The Demon is another favorite of mine. This Bigfoot movie pretty much has everything in it-bloody gory deaths, boobs, rituals, genital mutilation and Bigfoot rape. The rampage at the end was great. Bigfoot looked a little too skinny in this one but it still works.

A Night Of Horror: Nightmare Radio DVD
    The Fear Footage BD
    The Taking Of Deborah Logan Prime

More anthology madness with A Night Of Horror: Nightmare Radio. Eight short stories with a wraparound about a Horror radio DJ host with dark visions. An overall good watch, the shorts are under ten minutes or so and are well done. The Fear Footage is a found footage anthology film with a wraparound story about a cop who responds to a call and finds himself in a house of horrors that he can't escape. The three stories here are pretty good but I found the wraparound story to be far more interesting. I finally got around to watching The Taking Of Deborah Logan and I'm glad I did. This is a well done found footage film with good story and good acting. It's about a film crew making a documentary about a woman going through Alzheimer's disease only to discover that there's something dark and sinister going on. That ending scene is worth the price of admission. Very creepy and disturbing.

Colin, indrid13, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/17/2020

VAMPIRE CIRCUS (1972)

[​IMG]

Deep in the woods outside of a 19th century European village lies the castle of Count Mitterhaus (Robert Tayman). The nobleman has been reaching out to the community you could say. How so? Taking married women as mistresses and even worse the abduction of children. The well-fed Mitterhaus gets staked by a team of angry citizens, including Professor Müller (Laurence Payne) and the Burgomaster (Thorley Walters). Like any reputable monster, the Count curses them all while dying. A plague strikes the region 15 years later. Soon thereafter a travelling carnival comes to town called the Circus of Night. Is it time to have fun again or should the locals stay away from these strangers?

Hammer Horror of the 1970's was quite different than their output from the previous two decades. Changing times meant more blood and more skin. Vampire Circus delivers in those areas, though relatively tame by today's standards. Credit should be given for exploring some new ideas. Shapeshifters that can alternate between vampires and wild animals was a good idea. The trick isn't pulled off necessarily with special effects, just old fashioned (and cheaper) editing to try and sell the transformations. The Hall of Mirrors is a cool gimmick to invent a portal to another dimension if you will. Adrienne Corri (A Clockwork Orange, Madhouse '74) is well cast as the gypsy manager of the circus. Thorley Walters frequently seems drunk as the politician, his bedhead doesn't help change your mind. Anthony Corlan is sinister as the vampire/panther named Emil.

Vampire Circus has an overly ambitious start with 13 minutes of storyline before the opening credits even begin. It's fair to call this one of the better 70's films from Hammer, though I would take many from their previous decades of output instead most days of the week.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I hated every human character in Exists. Worked out well since this film had a lot of attacks on them. Great setting too as that part of Texas is well known for sightings. Exists is definitely one of my favorite Sasquatch films.

indrid13, Gore Lunatic and fattyjoe37 like this.
  15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 19

82. The Backlot Murders (2002) Prime - A band shows up to film their first rock video, but somebody isn't a big fan as members start gelling killed off. A slasher by nature and fairly entertaining. This one featured Priscilla Barnes who we remember from Three's Company. She's got quite the role and play a real bitch. First time viewing.

83. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) Blu - One of my favorites in the series. Love the beginning of the movie with Ron Palillo (Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter). I am a big fan of Alice Cooper and he kind of made a comeback with his 'Constrictor' album which this movie used songs from. Just a fun movie for a variety of reasons. Close to halfway done with the collection. Will check out features after the marathon is over.

84. Phenomena (1985) Blu - Turned into Argento night. I took in the U.S. version Creepers which was a wasted viewing. I have seen the longer cuts and this felt incomplete as a result. This one featured a young Jennifer Connely playing the role of a student who really doesn't get along with her classmates and uses her connection with insects. I like this movie. Probably due to the atmosphere and the scenery as it is filmed in Switzerland. I'll avoid the U.S. cut next time.

85. Suspiria (1977) Blu - This movie looks amazing with the restoration. I do not have the 4K yet, but the steelbook version looks pretty damn good. We've all discussed it in the past. Got in the mood for this one after Phenomena so I went with it. Need to get more Italian horror in before the end of the month. It's going fast!

~Rocker10

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Friday the 13th 3-5 (new Shout Set)

3 has its moments, but the forced moments to exploit 3D kind of make it less than great for me.

4 is my favorite. Great gore, Ted White plays Jason with purpose, Feldman, the death scene... the perfect Friday film.

5 is my least favorite, but the Violet kill scene is staged so well, cut to that Pseudo Echo song.

17. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 19. BEYOND THE DARKNESS: Watch one with a love story in it. There is more than one way to get mushy!

Movie # 38:
    Tiger Love (1977) (DVD)

Not a sequel to Tiger King. This is a mediocre and kind of boring kung fu Romeo and Juliet tale that turns into a entertaining horror film in the last twenty minutes. It starts off well enough with a girl peeing on a tiger after escaping some assholes by jumping off a cliff. Said girl lives with the tiger and has a kid. Is the kid's father the girl's lover who she thinks was killed? Or is it the tigers? I don't know. There's a scene where the kid trains with the tiger and I think it legit kills the little kid. The film jumps ahead twenty years, the kid has grown up into a Tarzan clone and the mother hasn't aged at all. From there it becomes a Romeo and Juliet knock off with very little martial arts going down. The grown up kid falls in love with the evil guy's daughter. Then in the last twenty minutes the film switches gears. The tiger is actually a shape shifting demon witch who goes on a killing spree and eats some people. If only the whole film had been like that.

[​IMG]

Movie # 39:
    Near Death (2004) (DVD)

I haven't watched this movie since the mid 2000's when I picked up the DVD in a bargain bin. I should have because it's a real treat. Community theater actors screaming their lines "I loved you, andnowImust KILL YOU!!" Some decent looking gore and some very bad looking CGI. Added on fake as hell cobwebs. Porn quality filming. A dude that murders people for only fifty bucks a person. Random close ups of characters sneering. And one very bad looking fake mustache. Bonus points for the film's monsters being ghouls. Ghouls don't get enough love.

[​IMG]

Movie # 40:
    The Dead Of Night (2004) (DVD)

Some overage teens (assholes) party in a graveyard, bury a couple nerds alive as you do and said nerds get possessed by evil. Soon the evil is spreading among the other teens. Really stranded horror stuff here. There's a few creepy shots of the monsters and a couple of the girls are hot.

18. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 19th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All the drama surrounding Shout Factory's QC aside, I'm glad to report that my boxset came in one piece. The 4k transfers for the films are fantastic, with part 3 being the weakest presentation though (some of the day time sequences are a bit too bright or fuzzy looking at points). Like so many others have been saying, it's been a while since I've watched "Part 2" and glad to see how well it holds up and doesn't get nearly the amount of love parts 3 and 4 do. I personally believe the climatic chase scene with Ginny and Jason in part 2 blows the chase scene from the original with Alice and Mrs. Voorhees out the water. It's way more tense and has a few good jump scares - two of which still got me all these years later - and the ending is probably my favorite, and dare I say most iconic, out of the entire franchise. I'm still wondering what ever came of Paul, though. o_O

44) Friday the 13th (1980; Uncut)

45) Friday the 13th Part II

46) Friday the 13th Part III

47) Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

15th - October Madness No.21

[​IMG]
    Satanic Panic (2019) - Rating: 3/5

This was a lot more fun than I was expecting, especially after hearing some mixed reviews when it first came out. Broke pizza delivery girl gets caught up with some yuppie Satanists who want her to be the host of Baphomet's child, Satanic Panic has some great gooey practical effects, some inventive kills, and some funny jokes! While it does definitely bog down in the second act and the ending feels under-cooked (no pun intended), it's still worth a watch. If it had come out in the '80s, this one would have been a video store horror classic.

15th - October Madness No.22 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 15 - HELL ON FOUR WHEELS: Must involve characters in wheelchairs.

[​IMG]
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) Rewatch - Rating: 5/5

What more is there to say that hasn't already been said about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. A true horror masterpiece that is still just as grueling an experience as the first time I'd seen it. I always forget just how much screaming Marilyn Burns does in this movie and it's absolutely nerve shattering.

15th - October Madness No.23

[​IMG]
    Berserker: The Nordic Curse (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5

One of the slew of '80s camp slashers, Berserker: The Nordic Curse doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table other than bringing Viking mythology to it. Some blood, some boobs, but mostly boring. Revisiting this on the VS Blu-ray definitely was a great presentation as compared to the uncut Japanese bootleg I had previously seen it on, but it's still not any better on a second viewing.

16th - October Madness No.24 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 16 - MASKS ARE REQUIRED: You guessed it, at least one character has to wear a mask through the entire movie.

[​IMG]
    Ogroff (aka Mad Mutilator) (1983) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5

I may be a bit partial to this one since I released it on DVD in North America, but Ogroff is a lo-fi blast! France's first slasher film is chock full of splattered red gouache paint, Styrofoam heads and limbs, and all the homages you can cram in to films like Friday the 13th, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Burning, Night of the Living Dead, and another monstrous twist you won't see coming at the end! Sure, it doesn't make the most sense but as a movie made by a French horror zine writer/video shoppe owner who wanted a French version of the American slashers to rent in his shop you can't go wrong with this French backwoods outing!

16th - October Madness No.25

[​IMG]
    Voodoo Island (1957) - Rating: 2/5

After a previous explorer comes back a zombie, Boris Karloff and a bunch of greedy land owners sail to a mysterious island that's part of the land purchase they are developing but get more than they bargained for when the vegetation starts attacking them! Hawaiian-shot '50s horror feels like a Florida offering, has a couple moments like the not-so-subtle lesbian overtones between two of the female leads and some bad effects, but ultimately is a bit of a stinker.

17th - October Madness No.26 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 17 - VIDEO STORE DAY: (10th anniversary!!) This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don't have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

[​IMG]
    Video Violence (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

One of the more well-known SOV flicks, Video Violence is both campy and groteseque where the new owners of The Video Store in small-town New Jersey find out that some killers have returned the wrong tape which features them killing off members of the town. Part Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, part murder-mystery, part black comedy, and all video store delight, Video Violence is a classic when renting is not enough!

17th - October Madness No.27 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 17 Part II - VIDEO STORE DAY: (10th anniversary!!) This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don't have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

[​IMG]
    Night Vision (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

A momma's boy moves from Kansas to the big city with writing aspirations in tow. But with the hustle and bustle of the big city and his horse blinder view of the larger, scummier, world he gets caught up in trouble when he saves a street hustler's life and in return is presented with a haunted VCR and television! A direct-to-video release from video releasing company Prism Entertainment, Night Vision is a pretty amateur, but campy, tale of a dumb schmuck in the big city. While it does involve a haunted VCR, or VHS tape, Night Vision doesn't play out its horror elements up front but in the side lines. The real story is a fish out of water in a new lake who's gotta grow up and learn that the real world ain't so pretty. While it does fail pretty miserably at being both a horror film and a drama, it still has a bit of charm that manages to ooze out from all the terrible acting, plotting, and execution. I kinda like this one even though it's far from good. **Originally purchased this tape from the best local mom and pop video store 49 Cent Video when they closed up shop in the early 2000s, and it would again become a rental in the small video store I ran out of a friend's record store when we briefly rented VHS through Videonomicon in the early 2010s. Now its permanent home is back in my VHS collection.**

18th - October Madness No.28 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 18 - RESURRECTIONISTS: Watch something that came out on one of the many awesome reissue labels that we love like Arrow, Criterion, Bleeding Skull, Scream Factory, Indicator, Vinegar Syndrome, AGFA, etc.

[​IMG]
    Night Owl (1993) - Rating: 2/5

Early '90s underground New York vampire flick that's a cool time capsule of the still at the time seedier side of NYC, but just didn't sink it's teeth into me overall. VS's Blu-ray looks great as always, I just didn't care much for this relocated riff on Romero's far superior Martin.

18th - October Madness No.29

[​IMG]
    Freaks (1932) Rewatch - Rating: 5/5

Tod Browning's Freaks is a cinematic masterpiece. A truly compassionate film, which was extremely controversial for its time as it voiced an anti-eugenics stance, Freaks has aged better over the years and should be a must see for anyone, not just those who have a fondness for the Golden Age of Hollywood and '30s monster movies.

18th - October Madness No.30

[​IMG]
    Bewitched (2005) - Rating: 2/5

Frankly unfunny meta-remake of the beloved television series. Nicole Kidman is quite well cast but Will Ferrell is terribly miscast and sinks any ounce of potential comedy out of this thing.

18th - October Madness No.31 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 18 Part II - RESURRECTIONISTS: Watch something that came out on one of the many awesome reissue labels that we love like Arrow, Criterion, Bleeding Skull, Scream Factory, Indicator, Vinegar Syndrome, AGFA, etc.

[​IMG]
    Satanis: The Devil's Mass (1969) - Rating: 3.5/5

An amusing expose of Anton Szandor LaVey and the Church of Satan, this documentary interviews LaVey's neighbours, some of his followers, and the man and his family to get a glimpse inside his San Francisco home and the goings-on of an actual Devil's Mass! See the nude altar, the serpent dance, and much much more candidly laid bare! A fun piece of kitsch, and the new Blu-ray from AGFA + Something Weird looks great!

19th - October Madness No.32 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 - BEYOND THE DARKNESS: Watch one with a love story in it. There is more than one way to get mushy!

[​IMG]
    Psychos in Love (1986) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

Gorman Bechard's Psychos in Love is a truly witty, original, and fun slice of camp! Two serial killers with a distaste for grapes find true love together as we follow them from the early days of their relationships, through the strains, and ups-and-downs. Actors Carmine Capobianco (who also co-wrote this with Bechard) and Debi Thibeault really have great chemistry together and play off each other with sheer glee to really elevate this film. This gore-filled delight is probably the best non-Troma Troma movie!

19th - October Madness No.33 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 Part II - BEYOND THE DARKNESS: Watch one with a love story in it. There is more than one way to get mushy!

[​IMG]
    Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1973/1982) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5

Why not double this one up for the challenge? The crush that is Elvira with a Naschy vampire love story so you can't go wrong... or can you? Classic Elvira is always a delight to watch even though a lot of the jokes in this episode are groaners and the flick itself is also a bit of a messy snoozer. Some chuckles were had and Dracula found his true love, but I was mostly put to sleep.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Never seen it before. It was "alright". The Blu-ray PQ was quite nice, that was a plus.

In the special features, they had an interview with one of the actors. Who was a porn star, so that was interesting to say the least. Seemed like he's still wants to do legit movies, but nobody is calling. Plus I found out the main actress is dead, tragic news.