The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

The Puppet Monster Massacre (2010): Puppets doing fart jokes, naked puppet breasts, nazis scientist, an evil henchman...errr hench-penguin, and eventually a decent amount of puppet gore. It at least lives up to the title, but it's not nearly as fun as it should be. The monster is cute though.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Felt the same way. When it took itself somewhat seriously, it was pretty good.

indrid13 likes this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 23

98. Drive In Massacre (1976) Prime - I've gone over this one a few times and never watched it. Thought today was the day to give it a shot. Two detectives try to catch a serial killer who keeps attacking in a drive in theater. Obvious slasher elements and some crime drama thrown in. Thought it was okay.

99. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993) Blu - Almost done with the set. This movie to me is one of the weakest. Felt too much like The Hidden (which I really like). Probably won't revisit too often.

100. Lights Out (2016) Blu - There is a focus in this one on a spirit that appears only with the lights off. It is also attached to the mother of the main 2 characters. I liked this movie. Had some creepy moments, jump scares, etc. I ordered it from Amazon about a week ago and it showed up smashed, but was in a nice box that wasn't hurt at all. I had them send another one and it had a small tear in the cover due to the shitty cheap case. You know the one, the recycle symbol cutout. Fun movie, but the employee who packaged a smashed disc ought to be fired.

101. Xtro (1982) Blu - Just got this one. It was a curiosity of mine as I had seen the cover of this one in the video stores years ago, but never watched it. What a friggin odd movie. Definitely entertaining, but htere is some serious random shit going on throughout this film. Guess that is part of the charm.

102. Ringu 2 (1999) Blu - After watching the first one a week or so ago, I grabbed the Arrow set off of eBay and it arrived. A continuation of the story from the first movie revolving around the little boy Yoichi, the cursed video tape, etc. These are definitely interesting movies. The first was a bit better, but I did like this movie as well. There are 2 more in the set which I will definitely enjoy watching. Great box set by Arrow as well.

~Rocker10

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 22ND:

WITCHES.png

81.) The Witches (2020) (HBO Max) - Even though this is an adaptation of a book, it's impossible not to compare it to the Nicolas Roeg film, which is kind of terrifying for a children's movie. There are some creative liberties taken in the first half-hour, moving the story to rural Alabama in the late '60s. However, once they reach the hotel, any and all thematic ideas that were introduced with this change are quickly discarded in favor of a simple retread of the previous material, only with CGI effects and a cartoonish look and feel. The entire sequence where the witches are revealed in the conference room is quite effective, but again, not as effective as Roeg's film, or as likely to scar your children for life. One of the more nightmarish scenes from the original movie is the haunting story about the girl in the painting, which here has been discarded in favor of a silly sequence of a girl turning into an animated chicken. Octavia Spencer is good, and Anne Hathaway is ridiculously over-the-top as the Grand High Witch (Anjelica Huston did it better). Chris Rock's narration makes it feel very cheap and silly. If Roeg's film terrified you as a kid, and you're maybe not quite ready to show it to your own kids yet, I suppose this could be a fair alternative. It's more silly, safe, cartoonish, and far less likely to leave them with nightmares.

82.) Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2 Episodes 1 - 3 "Washington Insider Murder" & "A Death In Oslo" & "Death Row Fugitive" (NetFlix) - Dateline, er, I mean Unsolved Mysteries is back, with more unsolved murder cases. The first episode is about a high-profile White House aide who turned up dead in a landfill. There are definitely unanswered questions involving his death, but I kind of got the impression here that all the answers are there and the family just doesn't want to accept it. More bizarre is the possible suicide of an unidentified woman in A Death In Oslo. Her body was found in a motel room in the '90s and has never been identified, but there are a lot of strange circumstances here. Most confounding is that the gunshot went off right as a bellboy knocked on the hotel room door. He fled and the room was unattended for 15 minutes, during which time no one is sure what happened (it's possible she did it herself or could there have been someone else in the room?). Finally, the most infuriating of the bunch is Death Row Fugitive, about the brutal murder of a young girl in Ohio back in the '60s. Her murderer was quickly caught and sentenced to death, but his death sentence was overturned to life in prison when the death penalty was abolished. The most infuriating twist comes in 1973, when a baffling prison program allowing convicts to go to the mall unattended for 2 hours to Christmas shop presents an opportunity to escape. He has been free ever since, having gotten away with murder. This isn't the Unsolved Mysteries I grew up with, these are more or less episodes of Dateline or any other true crime show. That said, they are still fairly interesting.

[​IMG]

83.) Bad Hair (2020) (Hulu) - This went up on Hulu at midnight last night, and I've been eagerly awaiting it. Having now seen it, I did think it was a fun movie, but having watched so much of the wildly creative Lovecraft Country lately, Bad Hair kind of pales in comparison. Elle Lorraine is terrific as Anna Bludso, who decides a weave will give her an advantage at her competitive MTV-style television gig. Unfortunately, her new hair is haunted by the ghost of its previous owner, which begins killing people and leaving Anna with the mess. This movie is a bit long for what it is, so you'll have to wait about an hour before things start getting really crazy. When all is said and done though, it settles for just being fun, when I think it had the potential to be great. That's not to say it doesn't pack a punch. The early scene of Anna simply getting her weave put in is filmed in such a way that it might be the most squirm inducing scene I've seen in a horror film this year. The movie is also littered with fun actors throughout, including Laverne Cox, Usher, Kelly Roland, James Van Der Beek, etc. I'd say this is definitely recommended, but keep your expectations in check.

THE DARK.png

84.) The Dark (1993) (YouTube) - I recently saw an interview online between Jamie Lee Curtis and Neve Campbell, where they compare notes on their status as "scream queens". Neve mentioned that her first horror film was a little Canadian movie about a giant rat called The Dark. She was 17 at the time, yet cast in the role of a police officer. I noticed there were DVD releases available, but they all looked shoddy and I wanted to see it now, so I resorted to watching it on YouTube. I may have seen this before, because the plot with the two gravediggers seemed very familiar, but I can't say for sure. Anyway, the movie is not very good. Stephen McHattie stars as a brooding widower who rescues a diner waitress, then drags her along on his adventure as he investigates the strange going-ons at his wife's grave, where a gigantic rat is burrowing under the ground and stealing corpses. As mentioned, Neve plays a cop who is sweet on one of the gravediggers. There's also Brion James as a random supervillain. Most of the movie is pretty dull and uneventful, but there's some fun to be had once night falls in the graveyard and the giant rat starts popping out to drag people underground. Not recommended, but I can't say there isn't a certain '90s Canadian charm about it.

OCTOBER 23RD:

LOVECRAFT.png

85.) Lovecraft Country Episode 8 "Jig-a-Bobo" (DVR / HBO) - Young Diana is the focus of this week's episode, but this might be the first episode of the series so far where the runtime is fairly evenly shared among the main cast. The main plotline involves Diana fleeing off on her own after her best friend Emmett Till's funeral, and being pursued by two bizarre ghost girls named Topsy and Bopsy, who are more or less caricatures of black children that were common in advertising and media of the time. I'm not really sure how I feel about this episode being Emmett Till fan-fiction, but it is what it is I guess? I've never read the book Lovecraft Country which serves as the basis of this show, but it's interesting how they're using a meta-approach to incorporate the actual book and its real-life author. As questionable as the storyline of the week can be at times, the episode does end spectacularly with a big creature-feature set-piece. Hit-or-miss, I can't think of another horror or sci-fi series on the air right now that is brimming with as much creativity as Lovecraft Country. If you're not watching it, you should be.

BLY.png

86.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 1 - 3 "The Great Good Place" & "The Pupil" & "The Two Faces, Part One" (NetFlix) - I'm not exactly sure why 2020 decided we needed two adaptations of "The Turn Of The Screw", but here we are. Strangely, both adaptations are produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment. Why they felt the need to make it twice, couldn't say. Obviously, this is the better of the two, but having seen The Turning just a few months ago, I can't quite shake the feeling that I've just seen this. Which isn't to suggest this show is bad at all, in fact it's quite good. Like with The Haunting Of Hill House, this is definitely a slow burn, and the scares may be even more restrained than that series. The characters are likable, it's well-made, and the show is interesting enough. It just feels maybe a little bit derivative so far, not just of The Turning but also of the similar ghost fare we've been seeing since The Conjuring and Insidious. To be fair, I'm only a third of the way through. I think this is more a case of me just being burned out on a genre rather than there actually being anything wrong with the series. I do like it though.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7
    61.) Titicut Follies (1967)
    62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew"
    63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence"
    64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989)
    65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also: Stay Out Of The Basement)
    66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11
    67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting"
    68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case"
    69.) Spellcaster (1988)
    70.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 4 Episodes 12 - 15
    71.) Lovecraft Country Episode 6 "Meet Me In Daegu"
    72.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    73.) The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975)
    74.) The Funhouse (1981)
    75.) Goosebumps: One Day At Horrorland (also: Welcome To Camp Nightmare)
    76.) They Live Inside Us (2020)
    77.) Rebecca (2020)
    78.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    79.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy III
    80.) Lovecraft Country Episode 7 "I Am."

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I hate those cases. They should be banned they are useless. really bugged on the vestron label, your paying a premium, it's classed as a collectors edition and they give you a cheap, wank case!

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 23rd: Venom (2005)

venom.png

I watched this a few years ago and enjoyed it enough to get the Blu-ray. I like to lump Venom with Hatchet (2006) and Mask Maker (2011), two other Louisiana-set slashers. Of the three, Hatchet is the one with the clearest sense of its own identity (even if that identity is basically 'loud and obnoxious'), and the only one to spawn a franchise. Mask Maker had the villain hiding his disfigurement behind masks of human skin (sound familiar?) and in Venom, the killer is merely a regular dude who has unfortunately been possessed by the souls of murderers and sadists via some not entirely convincing CGI snakes. The killer looks scary enough and drives a dirty old tow truck, the pace is good with the kills spread liberally throughout the running time, gore is decent, CGI is not great. There's even a cool-looking stunt with a girl stretched out between the killer's truck racing alongside a jeep. Still, despite all this and some nice, rural atmosphere, Venom feels kinda workmanlike - maybe because it lacks an identity of its own. Much like the killer, it's just a slate with the evil of others imprinted upon it.

7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 23rd
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't usually do write ups for films I've previously watched, but since all three of these are less than a decade old, and don't get nearly the love I think they deserve, I'm gonna share some of my thoughts. If you haven't seen any of these, I highly recommend you check out at least one.

59) The Battery: It’s been a while since I last viewed this hidden gem and I’m glad to say it still holds up. For those expecting a wild, gory, zombie action ridden film will be disappointed with this since it’s more of a road trip, indie, kitchen sink drama. Two acquaintances, from the same minor league baseball team, head on the road during a zombie apocalypse in search of food and possible salvation in the woodlands of New England. The clashing personalities of Ben – the films writer/director Jeremy Gardner – your average, beer drinking, chain-smoking, go with the flow dude man, and Micky, the uptight, skittish, codependent type who wants nothing more than a sense of family and normalcy in a world turned upside down, really drives the heart and soul of the narrative. The quiet, lo-fi approach from Gardner is where this film stands out in a world of 1001 zombie movies, relying on the human drama aspects more than undead carnage. The indie-folk soundtrack that accompanies the runtime fits the tone of the film perfectly, often adding needed humor or humility throughout. The final act may be a chore for some, and from what I’ve seen over the years the reason so many dislike the film, where our two leads are stuck inside their car as they are surrounded by hordes of flesh craving zombies. It’s a great way to cap off the film, featuring a wide range of emotions from Gardner and Cronheim as they grapple with despair and hope. A great watch for those seeking something refreshing from a subgenre that lacks originality in a post “Walking Dead” world.

60) Late Phases: Night of the Lone Wolf: Winning the award for the only good werewolf film of the 2010’s, “Late Phases” is a crazy and overall entertaining film. Nick Damici plays a blind war veteran, who begrudgingly moves into a retirement home tucked away in the woods. Things turn for the weird when his neighbors start turning up mutilated, and Ambrose (Damici) suspects the culprit might be a werewolf. Spanish director Adrián García Bogliano (“Here Comes the Devil”; “Cold Sweat”) really shines here, crafting a cool, neo-noir-ish drama with lycanthropes. The F/X from the legendary Robert Kurtzman are fantastic as well, giving the wolves a unique look, and those transformation scenes – using all practical effects – are a real blast. There are some campy moments peppered in, but the tone is very dark for the majority of the film. The fun and creative ways the old man goes about dispatching these creatures are quite something. Damici plays a very stern, no nonsense kind of guy whose spent his life shutting people out and keeping his family at arm’s length. Now, with the threat of death looming, he must confront his past and hopefully do right. The emotional core of Ambrose’s character arc really makes this something worthwhile. Also be on the lookout for Larry Fessenden and Tom Noonan.

61) Kiss of the Damned: Xan Cassavetes pays homage to vampire films of yesterday – Hammer Films and the work of Jean Rollin in particular – with her steamy, sultry feature film debut. For those who want their vampires sexy, and the gore heavy, “Kiss of the Damned” delivers both in spades. Playing out like a R-rated version of “Dark Shadows”, the story revolves around the will they/won’t they of would -be lovers Djuna and Paolo, only to have things complicated when Djuna's shit starting sister pays a visit to throw her entire world, and the wellbeing of the vampire community she belongs to, in danger. “Kiss of the Damned” is high on the melodrama, which might be a turn off for some, but there is just something about this film that has drawn me back. There is a fair amount of questionable acting, and I’m still not a fan of Cassavetes’ many tight, up close shots of the actors that permeate the entire runtime – but the high tension between the two sisters, and the ever present danger the clan of vampires will be uncovered by humans, makes for a palpable atmosphere. I also enjoyed the choice of score, which is a mix classical, prong rock and Euro-synth, giving the film a lot of personality. Much like the forementioned “The Battery”, this is one of the more quieter approaches to the Vampire subgenre, with a focus on character and atmosphere than gore and a body count (although the film has its fair share of both). A high recommendation for those who love 60’s/70’s Gothic Horror.

8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Great reviews. I need to revisit all three of them.

Colin likes this.
  9. indrid13

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 23. A REST IN THE PIECE IS ANOTHER WAY OF SAYING DRAMATIC PAUSE: Morricone soundtracks only.

Movie # 45:
    Cold Eyes of Fear (1971) (DVD)

There's ton of great Morricone scored horror films to choose from for this, I went with Cold Eyes of Fear because I've only seen it once, years ago. A giallo infused version of Desperate Hours. The only thing more bonkers then Morricone's free form Jazz score is Castellari's insane direction. The film's only real drawback is it slows way down at the midpoint.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The_Howling_Cover_web_1800x1800.jpg

Watched the Howling last night. It's a good movie but it's slow as fuck to start. Like an R rated tv drama for about an hour. Not a huge fan but I'm glad I gave it another spin after all these years.

250px-TheDamnedThing.jpg

I had about an hour to kill so I decided to put on a dvd of Masters of Horror. Tobe Hooper's The Damned Thing was always one of my favorite episodes. Miike's "Imprint" and Landis' "Family" are right up there for me as well.

The Damned Thing is a gore fest. I love it. The hammer scene is epic. The ending was so-so but I still really like this entry.

11. Rocker10

Day 24

Getting ready to start the final week. I always take the last week of October off and did again this year. Going to make it count.

103. Zombie Lake (1981) Blu - This was a re-watch for me. Nazi's are killed by the resistance during WWII and their bodies are thrown into a nearby lake. They come back to seek vengeance. This one was interesting in its own way. A bit slow, but not too bad. I watched the dubbed version and the subtitles were still active. Kind of hilarious when the subtitles didn't match the dialogue which was quite often.

104. Jason X (2001) Blu - I've decided that I am just not fond of this movie. This in my opinion would rank as one of the worst in the franchise. Jason in space. Another one I thought I liked better, and another one that I won't revisit often.

105. Waxwork (1988) Blu - I'm sure most are familiar with this movie. I really like the structure of it. The group of friends entering the wax museum and having their own stories play out. Maybe it's a bit of nostalgia, but I tend to come back to this one every year. Apparently, according to IMDB, most studios passed on this one including Vestron. Then they read the script and ended up doing it. Fun movie.

106. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Blu - Another notorious film that everyone is very familiar with. Watched the 40th anniversary edition. As I watched this one, I kept wondering just how messed up this movie must have been in 1974. It's still disturbing as hell in 2020. Ended up being a very important movie for the genre as we all know.

107. Oasis Of The Zombies (1982) Blu - Just got this one today. Had never seen it. A group of people treasure hunt in Africa for a fortune that was supposedly was buried by the Nazi's. As they search the Nazi zombies come back to guard their treasure. Jess Franco film that is a bit slow, but kind of fun in its own way. This Redemption title had the same issue as Zombie Lake with the subtitles.

108. Spiral (1998) Blu - The first sequel to Ringu which failed and was replaced by Ringu 2. The take on this movie leaned a lot more scientific which could have been partly the reason for its failure. I actually enjoyed it, but was glad that I watched Ringu 2 first. With all of this J-Horror I have been watching, things are getting a bit confusing, but I am enjoying this genre a lot. I'm going to finish the Ringu collection and then go back to the American versions. I have actually not seen The Ring Two or Rings for whatever reason, but I'm betting I like the Japanese Ringu franchise better. I did always like The Ring however.

~Rocker10

12. Kim Bruun

I don't even remember if I watched this when I got the last box set, but I remember it as being pretty charmless. I was always of the impression that it had a lot of fans, but to me, it abandons everything that I love about the franchise: Jason's look, the camp setting, the overall tone. Of course, those arguments can be applied to Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday as well, and I absolutely love that one.

Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  13. Dave

Dave Pimp

See I like Jason X. Everything has been done so try something new. And while the same could be said for JGTH trying something new, it is definitely my least favorite entry.

f0t0z00m, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 24th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't seem to watch nearly enough supernatural horror during October, so I decided to right that wrong by watching two of my favorites.

62) Insidious: As much as I love the original “Saw” film, this is truly what solidified James Wan as the best mainstream horror director of his generation. “Insidious” plays out like “Poltergeist” by way of Dario Argento, with a great use of color, lighting, and shot composition that really brings the dread and offers up some really great scares (it’s been a few years since I last watched this, so a number of them got me good). Lin Shaye really steals the show here as the paranormal expert – but Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson as the bumbling side kicks are really out of place – other than that, everything else just works so well. I really loved the concept behind “The Further” and this seedy, demonic underworld these creatures live in. It’s a bummer the various sequels didn’t take more advantage of that little nugget of world building. It also saddens me to think the direction Supernatural horror went as the 2010’s marched on, with a lot of the blame being passed on to Blumehouse, with atmosphere, character development, and storytelling being thrown out the window in favor of GCI and jump scares galore. “Insidious” feels like it’s the last of its kind, and I wish we’d get more like it in due time.

63) The Ring: I have fond memories seeing this in theaters back during its initial release. I’m glad to say 18 years later it still holds up. For my money, “The Ring” has one of the best opening ten minutes to any horror film, right up there with other greats like “Halloween”, “Jaws” and Wes Craven’s “Scream”. It perfectly sets up the entire film, giving just enough lore about the tape, what the threat is, and one of my favorite scares in horror cinema. Gore Verbinski does a fantastic job crafting atmosphere and tension, with an underlining sense of looming dread that is palpable throughout the runtime. The iconic turquois/grey color pallet adds to that mood as well, giving off real urgency as the mystery behind the tape and what exactly happened to Samara unfolds. The acting here is top notch as well, not just from the main cast, but even down to bit players like a quirky babysitter, a no-nonsense orderly, and a smug island doctor all breathe life into their respective roles, leaving a lasting impression on the viewer. And let’s not forget that climatic, terrifying ending, it still makes my spine crawl to this day. A true classic of the horror genre, and my personal favorite ghost/supernatural horror film ever (sorry Kubrick).

15. indrid13

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 24. AT THE GIG: Something with live band scenes.

Movie # 46:
    Rocktober Blood (1984) (DVD)

Does for Jacuzzis what Psycho did for showers. I really love this heavy metal slasher more then I have any right to. The film spends much too long with setting up the show, walking in the woods, aerobics and partying. But I love it all. And the two songs are dynamite. They more then make up for the weird non-ending.

[​IMG]

Movie # 47:
    Frozen Scream (1975) (DVD)

A strange, bewitching chronicle of another world. One very much like ours, but where the inhabitants behave slightly different then what we consider normal. This is a world where zombie Druids kidnap people to turn them into more zombie druids. A world where they made the strange choice to hire an actress for the lead role, who's accent is almost as impenetrable as the film's story.

[​IMG]

Movie # 48:
    Shark Exorcist (2015) (DVD)

The title is a lie. That shark did not exorcise any demons.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Not gonna talk about the Last Drive In movies, because I turned off Haunt so I can watch it commentary-free first, and I only half-assed watched the putrid Hack-O-Lantern.

Cannibals (Netflix DVD)- Jess Franco makes a cannibal movie, which should provide lots of opportunities for his trademark softcore sex and abundant nudity. Other than the "white goddess" daughter of Al Cliver's character, it's mostly a clothes-on affair. Which makes even less sense with Lina Romay in the cast. Al plays a professor and he and his family are captured by a cannibal tribe in some unnamed jungle. His wife is eaten, daughter is captured, and Al loses his arm before he's able to escape. He develops amnesia and forgets the whole thing. Years later he remembers it all, and launches an expedition to rescue his daughter, who is now the "white goddess" I already mentioned. Pretty boring jungle film, and the cannibal scenes are slow motion choppy footage of the "natives" digging through the leftovers from the butcher shop. I mostly selected this because I want to see more Franco/Romay films and this is one of the few available from 'flix. Really dull though.

The Howling (TCM) - wasn't planning on viewing this, but after SNL I noticed this had just begun on Turner Classic Movies so I put it on. I have to say, for an 80s classic, this one doesn't really stick with me and I often find myself saying "I don't remember this part" while watching. Perhaps it's because of the way the film opens, like someone here already mentioned. The werewolf angle is not very prevalent for the beginning of the film. So yeah, this isn't one of my all-time favorites, I probably only keep it in my collection because it has such a great reputation (well, that and I had Joe Dante sign my copy) but it's not one I go to that often. Had it not been on TCM while I was idly channel surfing, I probably wouldn't have watched it this year. I'm making it sound like I dislike the film, and that's not true, I did enjoy watching it last night.

17. Kim Bruun

October 24th: Primitives

Primitives.png

Objectionable though they may be, I am fascinated by the Italian cannibal films. I'm glad they don't make them like that anymore, but they're so uncompromising, so utterly tactless that you don't know whether to look away or keep watching. Later director of the Indonesian horror movie Satan's Slave had recognized that there was a market and decided to do an Indonesian take on the Italian dish. Of course, Primitives has some Mondo animal stuff. Some of it is obviously stock footage, but some of it is staged. A small lizard has its head bitten off Ozzy Osbourne style, and a crocodile is carved like a Christmas goose - and as it turns out, it's not dead! It's a truly awful scene. Still, the worst is yet to come when the natives take an orangutan from its cage. The poor animal is visibly distressed and tries to bite its handlers. I could barely watch, but...

Don't worry, folks, the camera angles shifts before the killing blow... meaning that the ape was spared further hardships. I hope it was given plenty of fruit for its trouble. As bad as the crocodile scene was, apes do, after all, score higher on the empathy scale with me.

Now, Primitives is not a dull movie by any means, but it does play like a less competent version of Last Cannibal World. Not all of the so-called primitives look like they come from the same tribe. I could swear one of them had blue eyes. They seem to all wear bad wigs, and the women have goofy leather modesty bras. There's also a bumbling sidekick on the anthropologist team, and that's a really awkward trope for this kind of movie. Last but not least, there doesn't seem to be any cannibalism involved.

October 24th: The Zodiac Killer

Zodiac Killer.png

These introductory words from Paul Avery himself serve as a warning: The movie you are about to see is not very good. I watched this when the Blu-ray first came out, and I think my criticism back then was perhaps a bit harsh. I'm not going to make a case that this movie is technically or artistically impressive. In fact, I'll say that it occupies an even lower tier than Drive-In Massacre (it's still superior to Another Son of Sam, though that's not much of a recommendation). But... there's something weirdly fascinating about it. Hal Reed's Zodiac is fun to watch when he vents his frustrations about an impostor taking credit for his work, or when he expresses his metaphysical ambitions. He's also a good-looking guy. The kills are many, and I'm not sure they're all inspired by the actual Zodiac murders - still, the one with the old lady being smashed under the hood of her car is executed with such enthusiasm that I'll give it a pass. Of course, I'd have preferred fewer kills and more build-up of suspense before each kill, but that was probably beyond the abilities of the director - besides, the purpose of the movie was reportedly to help catch the Zodiac, whom the director figured could not resist attending the film's premiere. How they planned to identify him on said occasion I do not know, but I'd like to think he was here in the audience.

18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Other than having extreme visuals, these three films couldn't be much more different from each other, and most viewers will strongly dislike at least one of them. Ratings are out of ****.

10/22/20 - Flowers (2015) **1/2
    A woman awakens in a pile of garbage among the haphazardly disposed rotted remains of several other women. Her attempt to escape through the crawl space of a serial killer's house becomes more than just a witnessing of atrocities, but a hellish revelation.

[​IMG]

The imagery is revoltingly vile. No mere gore splatter and dirt smears of typical shock works. Instead, fetid, moldering, heaping mounds of muck. Rotting, liquifying, putrid corpses more scab brown than blood red. Sewage dripping, sludge spewing pipes. A claustrophobic crawl through encrusted layers of roach infested offal. A maggot swarmed, rot befouled banquet. A deteriorated, guck smeared bathroom. A disembowelment followed by viscera fondling and necrophilia. Severing of crude chest sutures and removal of one's own innards.

[​IMG]

If the filth shown wasn't authentic, it was gag inducingly close, joltingly distinct from the candy red dyed corn syrup approach of traditional horror effects. And it may have went too far, being something you simply cannot unsee and likely will want to. This is a whole other level of sick, bizarre, even surreal viewing.

[​IMG]

There's an art house pseudo-concept at work, thin on plot but heavy on message. As the first woman exits one location into another, she transitions identity, until six victims have made their appearance. In their own horrible setting each stumbles upon some treasured reminder of their past, each comes to realize through self-examination and distinctly personal memories that they are now deceased. How they come to terms with that leads to...salvation? Oblivion? Damnation? It’s not completely clear which, or why. And while I think I got the intent my uncertainty is where I deduct a bit from the rating.

This no budget indie film crosses way over the line between plot driven movie and stream of shock image theater. Its art house smut, appallingly effective. Whether it has merit will be very viewer subjective. I never give warnings of "not for the squeamish" lightly. I've giving one here. Some people will brand the film a masterful visual and allegorical triumph. More will likely find it an intriguing and sickening curiosity. Most will unhesitantly condemn it, quickly purging any possession of it and wishing they could do the same with their memories.

10/23/20 - Mother! (2017) ***1/2
    A young woman's quiet existence remodeling her older husband's country home is drastically upended by the arrival of intrusive guests.

Initially subdued, the proceedings appear to just be the relationship workings of an aloof and inconsiderate husband and his reclusive but assiduous wife. An abrasive guest, promptly bringing along his entire family of inconsiderate assholes, at first fits into this literal narrative. But things acquire a feeling of being off, then bizarre, then hallucinatory, then full scale sensory bombardment. There's a headier message at work here than just a couple's marital issues, or even a descent into apparent madness.

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem are quite effective in their roles. Her as the intensely private person trying to strengthen a relationship and transform a run-down house into a home, quickly overwhelmed by chaos and uncertain in how to react. Him as the frustrated artist insecurely aware he isn't really creating anything, seeking adulation and oblivious to the desecration of everything meaningful that will bring. But Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer steal the show as the despicably crass and galling intruders. Harris is a natural at such, his mere appearance gives one the shakes at the thought of allowing him in your house and absolute terror at not getting him back out again. Yet the normally alluring Pfeiffer stands every bit his equal here in sheer contemptible affrontery.

Ultimately this is a very unsubtle allegorical mesh of the male and female centric creation myths, their discordant incompatibility, and humanity's despoiling of everything precious and redeeming in either. For some the blatant heavy handedness of the message will be an unacceptable tarnish. But the experience is inarguable. It’s a stunning sensory whirlwind, a stream of amazing and unpredictable escalating events, an exhausting mind bending rush.

10/24/20 - Why Don't You Just Die! (2018) ***
    A young man arrives at his girlfriend's father's house to kill him, with no idea just how tough that will be.

A savage over the top comedy thriller set to the background of a Russian crime double cross and the scheming of a coldly self-centered offspring. Like a blood bath bonfire, the first few minutes are spent gathering the combustibles and pouring fuel. Then the match is tossed, and its non-stop raging barbarism. Vicious beatings, savage torture, all comedically absurd and flinch inducingly nasty. With everyone refusing to go down easy, and barely a pause for breathe the entire feature length.

Its stylish, brash, frenzied, and engaging. A live action, real blood and pain rendition of cartoon violence, and if that turns your gears this is must watch.

Side note, I tried to link some quality images to this entry (and, to a lesser extent, the entry above), there seem to be very few and none really fitting. There is a picture of one of the characters getting his leg drilled, content wise it reflects the film admirably. But it was done so small and low-res that you can't even tell what the attacker is doing, it would be a waste reposting here.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Friday the 13 part 7

Not the best, but right there with part 4, my favorite. It’s the last one that feels like it lives in the correct universe. The series is wildly uneven and I like someone going toe to toe with Jason. Hodder plays a Jason ANGRY and the decomposing body/back/hands makeup is awesome.

f0t0z00m, Colin, Natas and 5 others like this.
  20. Rocker10

Day 25

109. Freddy vs. Jason (2003) Blu - No introduction needed here. This entry in the franchise is kind of fun. As others have said, it feels more Nightmare on Elm Street than Friday The 13th, but I guess that's okay. I thought they might do more of this type of thing, but nothing so far.

110. Friday The 13th (2009) Blu - Being the completionist I am, I took in the 2009 remake with Supernatural's ' Jared Padalecki. This Jason was definitely aggressive and angry. The movie is okay I guess.

111. Ring 0 (2000) Blu - Finished up the Ringu collection with this prequel. It does a pretty decent job of giving you the story that led to Ringu. The movie is pretty slow most of the way, but ends pretty good.

112. The Ring (2002) Blu - The American remake of Ringu. I still really like this movie. Some decent shock value. I did think they did a good job with the atmosphere here. Definitely keeps your interest.

113. The Ring Two (2005) DVD - I hadn't seen this one until tonight. The DVD I have was still unopened. I liked this one as well, but even though it is just 10-15 minutes longer for the unrated cut than the first movie, it definitely felt much longer as there are some slow periods. Overall, I thought it was decent.

114. The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake (1959) Blu - Finished today with an old black and white that had a family trying to figure out why someone was stealing heads of their family members after their deaths. The culprits in the meantime are trying to steal theirs as well. After all of the Ring content this weekend, I wanted something a little less complex to just chill with. This fit the bill perfectly.

~Rocker10