The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Dec 4, 2016.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This is a terrific film. One of the best blind buys I've ever purchased. My only complaint is the blu-ray is bare bones.

baggio and Katatonia like this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I wish there was at least a commentary. Apparently there is a Canadian Blu-ray and also an Australian Blu-ray that does include some interviews.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So what did you guys think about what I said in my post (spoiler) #17 and idea in #18 ?

Katatonia likes this.
  4. Katatonia

The cat bothered me also, and the suddenness with how he disposed of its body and seemed to carry on rather normally right after that. I mean what could have even done that to the cat besides a large predatory animal or human? I would have been intensely freaked out by that alone. But I didn't think it particularly distracted from the film itself...the aftermath of it just seemed quite unusual. That's one reason why I would have loved to listen to a commentary where perhaps it was expanded upon.

As for Martin Sheen, I don't think the movie would have worked quite as well with him in the lead role as the father. He's a good actor, no doubt, but he would have just seemed rather miscast for this one, IMO at least. As for a better role in a possible sequel? Who knows.

baggio likes this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh good , so it wasn't just me.

Yes, Brian Cox was excellent. It worked so dam well. But now knowing about Martin Sheen was an original front runner, it seems plausible that he could play a medical examiner in the sequel.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thank you both for the recommendation. The scene you mention in your spoiler bothered me, but didn't take me out of the film. I was so amazed by how much the filmmakers got right in terms of the autopsy, that I was heavily invested in it.

Katatonia and baggio like this.
  7. Katatonia

baggio likes this.
  8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

My gf is more into the Babadook/It Follows-type of horror, less the grimy, gore-drenched side of the genre. This just arrived in the mail, and I wondered if I could get feedback as to whether or not this might be a "I should watch this alone" or "I should invite my girlfriend to watch this with me" type of film from those who have seen it. Thoughts appreciated.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's a difficult one to answer. The majority of what would be considered gore is the actual autopsy itself. Similar to The Exorcist, people were more disturbed at the time by the parts of the film in which Regan was undergoing the various examinations.

That said, the effects here are incredibly realistic. The actress portraying Jane Doe really does an amazing job. I highly recommend the film.

Workshed likes this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I heard the name of this movie before but I guess I didn't think it would be a horror movie or at least a good horror movie. But someone here or on the Horror.com/forum recommended it so I checked it out. And it's a good one. Like many good movies it's best to see this one blank and let the mystery unfold. It's an unsettling movie because the whole thing is set in the basement morgue of this cozy old country house. And even though we've seen autopsies in movies before, I don't think we've seen whole movies around autopsies. The only one I can remember right now is the doctor movie with Lola from Run Lola Run. She's cool and I might try and find that one again as I barely remember it. But if you haven't seen The Autopsy of Jane Doe check it out and don't spoil it for yourself. The movie is short and the reveal will be surprising. At least it was for me.

Katatonia and buck135 like this.
  11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Glad you liked it. The terminology used as well as the autopsy itself were very accurate. Excellent film.

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Watched this today with my wife and really enjoyed it. I found it very atmospheric. Only two characters for the vast majority of the movie but the film went by very quickly. Should be watched in the dark with the lights out.

Steel76, Natas and buck135 like this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

For sure! That bell is pretty creepy.

russweiss, Steel76 and buck135 like this.