The Babysitter (2017, Horror Comedy, via Netflix)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Trailer shows A LOT so beware:

Dir. McG

Release: 10/13/17 (Friday the 13th!)

[​IMG]

Steel76 and baggio like this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

This was REALLY entertaining!

Plenty of hilarious and gory WTF moments in this one :D

baggio and Workshed like this.
  3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I really liked this one too. I didn't really like the bits with the text onscreen, but everything else was good. This is what I was hoping Better Watch Out would've been more like. That was another babysitter movie described to me as being really fun and funny, but wound up being neither (in my opinion). This was actually fun. Absolutely ridiculous, but fun.

Workshed and Steel76 like this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah this was fun, there were a few lines of dialogue that made me groan, but it's complete craziness and it's OTT gore made up for any shortcomings.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Entertaining film by Netflix. Good job. I would definitely recommend people to check it out if they have Netflix. If you can ignore the fact the neighbors all wear noise cancelling headphones in the evening hours you should be ok. :)

My favorite line by the kid. "Why is he shirtless?"

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Man, I had a ball with this one last night. I appreciate that it wasted no time and set everything up within the house--the crawlspace, the toys, the award--and made ample use of them. The actors all appeared to have a great time, even if Bella Thorne's performance was mixed, and they kept things moving and exciting with their maniacal glee. I found the text overlays to be funny, and the way in which the texting was displayed really worked for me. It's 2017 and everybody is texting, so filmmakers might as well make good use of it, instead of zooming in on a phone screen. I especially liked the sci-fi battle conversations and the way the graphics were integrated. Clever.

The highlight for me was the
    car crash into the house
    , which made me howl with laughter. What a fun, quick film this is. And I would do anything that babysitter asked.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Dare I say this is the best horror movie of the year? I had a blast watching it.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this one too. Well worth checking out. Very tongue in cheek approach with some outrageous kills.

9. Not a McG fan but highly enjoyed it. Great cast, great gore and I laughed pretty hard most of the time.

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

This was a blast to watch. Probably the most fun I've had watching a horror/comedy since Tucker and Dale. The characters are amazingly likeable. The dialogue feels like it came from Shane Black (this could almost be a follow-up to Monster Club). The plot twists were funny and surprising. The tone was perfectly balanced. Easily one of the most fun films of the year. I'd almost say it's a shame that it didn't get a theatrical release. I doubt it would have performed well, but it would probably get a decent cult following and be a trip to watch on the midnight circuit.

One of the things that really impressed me was that, for all of the silliness and comedic exaggeration, it really captured the beats and emotions of being an odd kid and slammed through them with a fantastic breakneck pace in the first act. And, as an odd kid myself, I felt it did a far better job of capturing my youth than two years worth of Stranger Things.

And the main kid did a great job. I would suspect that this is a kid to pay attention to.

Steel76 and Myron Breck like this.