The Hatred (2017, Haunted House)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Natas and Steel76 like this.
  2. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I used to love haunted house films. I still maintain that The Changeling is the greatest haunted house film ever - just my opinion of course :) But now, every one that comes out is so formulaic.

"When (insert group) visits (insert name of big or old house/estate), and strange things start happening, they soon discover its sordid past!"

I feel like that's the synopsis for every haunted house film in the last 15 years. It's like no other plot can be imagined, for some reason. Truthfully, I would love to see a haunted house film where there is no legitimate explanation for the disturbances - AND I think they need to show actual (and believable) full body apparitions. IMO, there would be a greater element of horror and mystery if shit just started hitting the fan immediately instead of the usual slow build-up (door closes itself.........then something goes missing.........then footsteps are heard..........then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This was recently added to NetFlix.

I just watched and found it entirely tolerable, but unimpressive. It starts with a flashback that would have been 5 minutes max in most movies, but goes on for over 20 minutes here. This is also the chunk with Andrew Divoff and in retrospect is probably the best chunk of the movie.

After that, we jump to present day. Four girls take on a babysitting job out in the country (the parents are played by David Naughton and Amanda Wyss). There's about a half hour of the girls all hanging out, and the final third involves the girls being haunted / picked off by the ghost of a girl murdered in the prologue. It's a pretty paint-by-numbers and entirely bloodless mash-up of slasher and haunted house movies.

Pretty much feels like something you'd see on SyFy channel. Can't say I'd recommend, but hey, it's free on NetFlix.

Workshed likes this.