Tragedy Girls (2017) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 29, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tragedy Girls (2017, Tyler MacIntyre)

It is film festival time once again so it is a great chance to check out smaller films like this on the big screen. This one is a twist on the slasher genre following two horror obsessed teenage girls who use their online blog about real-life murders to manipulate their way into the spotlight. It breathes life into the slasher genre and is also a great take on the dark side of social media. It has some inventive camera work that makes the most of its modest budget backed up with good performances all around.

I feel a shades of Heathers (1988) and it certainly has a few nods to some classic slasher films. It is not the first film in recent years to put a new twist on slasher films with good results... The Final Girls (2015) and You're Next (2011) come to mind but I think this one is better than those and is sure to become a cult favourite in years to come.

7/10

CPT HOOK and othervoice1 like this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Really liked final girl, so definitely up for this.

thing likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

BD-R and DVD-R release on February 2nd.

thing likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Watched it tonight, it was ok, a lot gorier than expected, but boy was the 2 leads fucking annoying, I think your enjoyment will be based on your tolerance for those two, cult classic in the future? Not for me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Cooperkill likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The trailer was enough to annoy me, so no thanks.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Tragedy Girls is a lot of fun and I can highly recommend it, and definitely one of the better modern horror films I saw last year. The leads are supposed to be annoying/grating since they are playing two 'holier-than-though' high school girls vying for popularity/fame. If they weren't their characters would come across as flat and lifeless, especially in the context of the film. It's got a bit of Mean Girls meets Scream vibe, and that's actually something that works for this film. It's also a hilarious and biting satire on the state of social media and social media addiction.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

I adored this movie! Brilliant and fun twist on the slasher genre ala Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon, The Final Girls, Tucker & Dale Vs Evil, etc. If you loved any of those, consider this a must-see. Right from the opening scene, the movie begins with a standard slasher movie trope (a couple making out in their car at night, goes to investigate a strange noise) and puts a really playful spin on it. It's a behind-the-scenes look at the teen slasher movie. Think Scream from the perspective of a female Billy & Stu. It's also a biting contemporary social commentary, punctuated by a speech to the girls (and the audience) about the narcissism and sociopathy of social media addiction. Plus, it's just a damn fun slasher movie!

I've seen complaints that the girls are unlikable, but you can make a good movie with unlikable characters if your script is clever enough, as was the case here. In fact, I was surprised by how much I liked the girls in spite of what they were doing. It's really sort of a twisted love story. And if you still find them off-putting, there are other characters in the movie you can root for guilt free, like Jordan (played by Jack Quaid, son of Dennis and Meg Ryan).

Sole extra feature on the blu-ray is a director's commentary.

I already want to watch it again! In fact, I might do that right now.

8. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

That's what I was going to say. The leads are annoying and their lingo gets old fast. "You're so jelly!" "I'm not jelly!" Ugh.

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Saw this at a festival and really disliked the characters as well. I did not find any redeeming elements about it, either. The only thing anyone in the audience commented on after the end of the screening was that it was good girls get to be in roles like these now. No comments on the film actually being good.

After watching this film, if anyone I ever know ever insinuates I am being annoying I will force them to watch these two girls for 90 min Clockwork Orange style.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm so torn.......blind buy, no buy, wait for streaming..... you mugs got me confused! Hahaha

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Haha. Definitely stream it first!

12. CPT HOOK

If you like teen slasher movies (especially ones that deconstruct the genre a bit like Behind The Mask or The Final Girls), or you're okay with movies like Jennifer's Body, Ginger Snaps, Heathers, Jawbreaker, etc, then I think it'd be a pretty safe blind-buy. It fits well in either group.

thing likes this.
  13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure they are supposed to be annoying, thats kind of the point

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

It was being compared to Heathers. They killed off the annoying people in Heathers. In this one, the annoying people are doing the killing. In Heathers, the hash tag types would have been erased. Those were the days.

15. thing

thing Well-Known Member

16. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

This is now streaming on Hulu if you use that service. If not they have a free month trial offer - and a pretty good movie selection.

I rented it the day it came out. I did want to punch these girls several times throughout the movie and I didn't really like the ending
    I hate when assholes get away with it in the end - I think a last minute car crash while making a Youtube video would have been a nice touch. Too obvious maybe, but I think it would've been more satisfying
    , but I thought this was pretty entertaining. Worth a watch if you can tolerate the leads and all their "jelly" dialogue. I didn't mind the way they spoke too much, but that one annoys me. Jelly and jealous both have the same amount of syllables, I thought we were trying to shorten words with slang, not just make them more annoying.

17. CPT HOOK

The director's previous movie Patchwork is also available on NetFlix. I didn't love it (it's certainly no Tragedy Girls), but it's quirky and fun enough to warrant a NetFlix viewing.

18. Colin

Colin Active Member

I quirky, fun, gory little slasher parody that is kind of a mix between "Heathers" and "Scream." It's far from perfect though, and does a bit too much stumbling around in the first act, but it does come together as it goes along. The jokes are very hit or miss, but the end product is enjoyable even with its flaws.