Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Is it a certainty that Anchor Bay's DVD didn't include SD inserts? I seem to recall the source of that transfer being pretty rough looking, though it's been a while since I watched it. Michael Felsher of Red Shirt Pictures has recalled in his Facebook chats that Anchor Bay had struggled to locate a film element for Hell Night, so it sounds like Shout! Factory ran into the same issue. After Starz got swallowed up by Lionsgate, I'm not sure that there's anyone left at Anchor Bay for them to speak with, either.

To be fair, it's not just Shout! Factory, either. Some films just aren't protected as well as they should be. On films like Manhunter and Silent Night, Deadly Night, Shout! Factory simply ran into the same issues Anchor Bay previously had when the DVDs were released. Arrow had to resort to a 4:3 laserdisc to get the unrated footage for Hellraiser III, and their recent Season of the Witch Blu-Ray features SD inserts from a tape master for the longer cut. Vinegar Syndrome had to source a few minutes worth of footage from a VHS workprint for The Undertaker. Scorpion Releasing found additional footage for Don't Go in the House, but it had a censored audio track and Humongous had to be patched together. '84 Entertainment used SD inserts for Tourist Trap after both 88 Films and Full Moon released it incomplete. Mondo Macabro had to get SD inserts for A Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm loving these reviews of SNDN! Can't wait till mine gets here. Looks like this transfer won't cause Santa's Stocking of Outrage to get any larger!

satans-sadists, fceurich39 and Natas like this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The reason why these less than stellar transfers always seem to come through Shout is that they're more willing to look past these faults and release what they can.

Nothing's stopping Arrow from releasing this in the UK for example. But companies like Arrow are focusing more and more on films that have great elements from which they can make stellar releases or not at all. That's become their focus.

And with all the bitching these days, one can hardly blame them.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wasn't the entire release SD by definition?

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Let me rephrase that to "non-film" sourced inserts. ;)

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

SNDN, was just too disturbing to me.. iam sure this package is great for fans.. but that attack scene on the family in the beginning was too real and brutal..

8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Extras for Matinee:

"NEW
    Master Of The Matinee – An Interview With Director Joe Dante
    • NEW The Leading Lady – An Interview with Cathy Moriarty
    • NEW MANTastic! The Making Of A Mant
    • NEW Out Of The Bunker – An Interview With Actress Lisa Jakub
    • NEW Making A Monster Theatre – An Interview With Production Designer Steven Legler
    • NEW The Monster Mix – An Interview With Editor Marshall Harvey
    • NEW Lights! Camera! Reunion! – An Interview With Director Of Photography John Hora
    • Paranoia In Ant Vision – Joe Dante Discusses The Making Of The Film
    • MANT! – The Full Length Version Of The Film With Introduction By Joe Dante
    • Vintage Making Of Featurette
    • Behind The Scenes Footage Courtesy Of Joe Dante
    • Deleted And Extended Scenes Sourced From Joe Dante’s Workprint
    • Still Galleries
    • Theatrical Trailer"

Katatonia likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Doesn't help they show that scene 4-5 times throughout the film. LOL

Its honestly one of my all time favorite movies. Down right giddy waiting on the mail man to drop this off. Already got the frame eagily waiting for that new poster.

satans-sadists likes this.
  10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah so um. That looks amazing.

~Matt

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Right??? I was already excited, but now I'm downright giddy.

Natas likes this.
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

My wife and I laugh at that this now, but years ago shortly before our daughter was born we watched this movie for the first time and we were both calmly watching the film on the couch together. We had watched many, many, many horror movies together with no problem. But because her hormones were all out whack during that sequence she shrieked out: “YOU CALL THIS SHIT ENTERTAINMENT?!!!” It nearly made me jump out of my seat and hit the ceiling she scared me so much much! lol! But boy was she mad! Now, every once in a while we say that line as an in joke. But to this day we don’t watch Silent Night Deadly Night.

Workshed, Zombie Dude, zbinks and 2 others like this.
  14. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

You won't be buying the BD then?... LOL

Zombie Dude and Mutilated Prey like this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I do agree somewhat though with the viewer’s assessment that it doesn’t succeed at being darkly comic, and in the end just leaves you feeling “icky” instead of amused (the dark humor in Black Christmas for example works to a much greater effect). However the 1.5/5 is rather harsh. There are slasher films that are FAR worse than this. I love this sleazy movie though and I’m so fucking excited that it got a MUCH NEEDED 4K remaster.

Now if they (or Arrow) could get their hands on The Osterman Weekend, as that and SNDN were two of the absolute worst HD transfers the format had ever seen. Osterman Weekend might in fact look worse.

~Matt

16. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

that scene when the santa kills the parents was really all to real shocking.. another disturbing scene was when the nun started beating those 2 teens asses,, now the boy should fought back and beat the crap out of that lady,, he could have... he wasn't a little kid..

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched Killing Ground on NetFlix. Definitely not a happy movie, but quite effective and intense for those who enjoy movies like Wolf Creek, Preservation, or Eden Lake.

I might add it to the collection if it drops under $10. Certainly worth a NetFlix watch at least.

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised that some of you guys are disturbed by SNDN. To me it's far too cartoony to have any emotional impact. That scene comes on the heels of the outrageously ridiculous grandpa episode and the Santa killer's Death Wish 3-like introduction. Then you have the cheesy music and inept over-acting during the attack itself, which both add unintentional humor that continuously reminds me that I'm watching a particularly silly movie. The circumstances are certainly disturbing, especially for people with kids. But the scene itself doesn't capture the grungy, amateurish verisimilitude of the violence in Last House on the Left or the excruciatingly staged pseudo-realism of some of the killings in the original Funny Games. When I watch this movie, my only reaction is unabashed admiration for the director's commendably unrelenting commitment to bad taste.

Now I can't wait for the new blu-ray to arrive!

Steel76, X-human, zbinks and 3 others like this.
  20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree with Shape22. There are so many more disturbing films out there. This to me was just another bad attempt at making a serious slasher that at least has violence working in its favour. I think SNDN is fun, but hardly cringe worthy.

Natas likes this.