Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

your in Boston, Natas?

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I've been in Texas the last 4 years but I proudly spent the first 28 years of my life in the south shore.

loutoad23 likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Holy shit! Did anyone else get their Hell Night today?

4. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

no, but iam wondering that it should be coming soon,, no reviews for it yet either

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Guys, I think you're gonna see a LOT of negative reviews on this title. I popped it in and watched a handful of scenes. Is it better than the 1999 Anchor Bay DVD? Definitely. But is it "reference" material, a Blu Ray that really shows the wonders of high definition? Definitely not. I'm happy to have it, but I'm not really blown away by the quality. I hope someone finds the original negatives and makes a Blu Ray (or whatever format we're watching in the future) from that.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    HELL NIGHT (1981) Blu Ray and Shout Exclusive poster arrived to my residence 12/15 in perfect condition! Can't wait to watch - such a fun film and one of the most memorable cinema experiences for me EVER. :)

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I never got the love for Hell Night. I find it incredibly dull. Like a boring version of Night of the Demons. It starts off alright but then just hits a point where it really starts dragging for me.
    Still, it's great that it's finally hitting blu after all these years for the fans. I'm just not one of them :p

Myron Breck likes this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, my first time seeing Hell Night was on a Showtime horror marathon one Friday night (that was a big deal in the 80s; it's not like today where there's like 16 Showtime channels, 10 Cinemax, 20 HBO. You had ONE channel of a pay network, and that was it. So for them to dedicate a night to horror was kinda rare). I wasn't even paying attention anymore, having been burned out on (and I can't believe I still remember the lineup for the night) Visiting Hours and Wolfen. I might have been doing homework or something, but then Peter began telling the story of Garth Manor. Suddenly I started watching, rapt, and the rest is history.

Hell Night is far from a perfect film, but you also gotta remember it was meant to cash in on the slasher craze of the early 80s. And as almost anyone who's seen a lot of 80s low-budget slashers (like say, everyone here), the quality fluctuates greatly. These were pumped out by the dozen and meant to stay in the theater for a week, two weeks max. No one thought they were making timeless classics. I bring this up, because while Hell Night could have been a by-the-numbers slasher and probably performed just as well, they took the time to create a moody, atmospheric, and visually stunning film. And something I always mention, the simple gimmick of having all the characters in costume helps the film from looking as dated as so many 80s films do now. I saw the original Friday the 13th at a midnight screening a few years ago, and you should have heard the laughter when the guys came out in those short shorts with knee socks. Man, that was just the look back then. You wouldn't hear laughter like that at a Hell Night screening. Unless you count the sex scene where both Seth and Denise keep their underwear fully on...

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh cool that people are getting this early! I just so happened to place my order this afternoon so hopefully it’ll be here soon. I’ve never pre-ordered anything through Shout before but I want to get this before the holidays. I’ve been waiting so long for this title I don’t wanna wait any longer lol.

It DOES come with a poster right? I really like the artwork but it doesn’t mention any poster on the pre-order page.

~Matt

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The poster is sold out.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fuck this came to $50 CAD I thought I was getting a poster too!! I mean I want it early but I don’t want it THAT bad and when I saw the price I thought oh well at least it comes with a cool poster.

I just emailed them about cancellig my order (unless they had any extra posters left over if by chance someone else cancelled their order). If not, fuck it, I’ll just pick it up in store if that’s the case. Or get it through Amazon. Way cheaper.

Thanks for letting me know!

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, they had a sale earlier this week, 40% off list price + free shipping if you spend $80 or more. I was really hoping for that Hell Night poster, but saw it was sold out then. I'll get it cheaper through one of the regular retailers.

Did get a few preorders in though. Behind The Mask, The Strangers, Drag Me To Hell, and Matinee for $20.97 each, plus The Burbs at $17.99, all with the poster and free shipping.

Matt89 likes this.
  13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I've loved Hell Night from the first time I saw it, but I haven't seen in 10 years or so (been saving it for the inevitable Blu-ray release). One thing I remember it doing very well was the final chase. For me, a good final chase is a must for a slasher, and Hell Night delivers. It also has a scary looking killer and a likable lead in Linda Blair. One thing I remember not enjoying was Suki Goodwin. Man, she delivers some of her lines very awkwardly.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Yes, that final chase is STELLAR. That was always my favorite part of slasher movies - the cat and mouse between the lead girl and the killer. The scene that got the audience really good was Andrew creeping up behind Marti and Jeff. That was the first time I saw a movie where the audience was yelling to the characters. There was also the rumbling of foot stomping (like at a concert) as if that would alert the characters of the danger behind them. It was a hoot. The underground chase and the ensuing struggle on those stairs elicited a wild response, too. For a Sunday night, that was one fun crowd.
    Hell Night never looked that glossy to me. Something I noticed back then was how glossy John Carpenter movies looked and sort of set a standard for me when I watched these movies. The woodsy appeal of Friday the 13th 1 and 2 as well as The Howling were in a class by themselves. Hell Night, even then, looked a little dusty much like those slightly worn looking Amicus movies on late night TV.

satans-sadists and Kim Bruun like this.
  15. ronnie21

I do agree with this. it does drag, it could have used some nudity for a R rated horror too,,

dave13 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. ronnie21

reports are ,, the quality is a tad better than the dvd. but not by much..

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. ronnie21

got mine today. the good and bad...
    the transfer is soft. iam not gonna lie here,, but it gives the old feel of a drive in print and it is what it is...
    the good is we get a ton of excellent extras. more than we need with a lot of rare unseen photos of behind the scenes..and we learn more than we ever wanted to know about hell night.. A excellent slipcover and art... overall a great release.. considering the soft transfer.. but it ads to the nostalgic of it.

wago70 likes this.
  19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Love the SNDN upgraded Blu. Yes, the unrated version with inserted footage is a little rough, but overall the film has never looked better.

And I set up this guy, haha...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Workshed, Natas, Katatonia and 3 others like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost