Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Shout emailed me back and indeed they’re completely sold out of the poster so they issued me a refund. Would’ve been cool to get it during the holidays but whatever, I’ll grab it in-store on release day.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, here's some pearls of wisdom from that review:

The backstory (and Peter Barton's monologue) of Garth Manor is one of the highlights of horror film history for me.

I remember one time as teenagers, a buddy of mine and I took a couple of dates to a kind of spooky area of town, with a couple of abandoned buildings (we stayed in the car the whole time, we were bastards, but we weren't fucking bastards). My friend tried telling a scary story to freak the girls out. They immediately called bullshit on the story. Later on, I thought that if I had memorized the Garth Manor story, it really would have worked. So yeah, DVDMG.com....find a better reviewer.

wago70 and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't even like the film and have to agree that the backstory is easily one of the best parts of the film. It's both intriguing and creepy plus pretty messed up.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Also I got my copy of Silent Night Deadly Night the other day and watched the unrated version. The new transfer is fantastic. I didn't expect it to look as good as it does. Also Billy has to with the award for most good looking slasher lol.

So I did have a question. Is the theatrical version actually what was shown in cinemas or did it have the cut footage back then? Also, do people prefer the theatrical or unrated? There doesn't really seem to be a lot of cut stuff here that impacts much so I'm curious if the theatrical cut flows a bit better due to the consistent quality. I'll eventually give the disc a spin but I thought I'd see what others here thought about it all.

Natas likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Favorite night of the year. Silent Night Deadly Night........always just fucking amazing. The new blu looked incredible. I loved all the grain that remained. But at the end of the day it can be the vhs I'm watching and I'd still have a blast.

I was rushed this year though, I quickly realized tonight was my only real chance to enjoy myself and not have to wake up before 10 the next morning. Lol

One scene I have to mention where the new transfer really stood out.......Billy's softcore dream sequence with his co worker.......slow mo shot bottom to top.......never realized how hairy Billy's ass was hahahahaha straight up massive dingle berry the kid was rocking in 84......I was laughing hysterically.....guy looks like Zach Morris for fucks sake, figure he'd have that small cat under his asshole taking care of before his big nude scene.

31 bucks......merry fucking Christmas.

fceurich39 likes this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

That's a good question because now that I think about it, don't think I've ever watched the rated version.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I've never heard anyone make the claim that they prefer the theatrical cut of SNDN. I've never even bothered watching the theatrical cut, myself. Doesn't that version lose most or all of the antler impalement sequence along with some other fairly important gore scenes?

This film had a fairly wide, albeit brief, run in theaters. If the uncut version had actually played theatrically in 1984, I think an uncut print probably would have turned up along the way. The original VHS had a banner that advertised "THIS VIDEOCASSETTE CONTAINS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED FOOTAGE."

fceurich39 likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'd imagine theaters screened the R-rated version.

The VHS version I grew up with is identical to the uncut versions on disc. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen the R-rated version.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Yep I still have the vhs

14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

So, am I the only one excited about American Gothic? I was personally way more excited about it than Silent Night Deadly Night. SNDN is okay, but it's been released many times now. I have two DVD copies of it and I'm not even a big fan. American Gothic barely got a DVD release here (a crappy one from Trinity that I just now found out about) and the Blu-ray has come out and there's very little mention of it anywhere.

SilentScreams likes this.
  15. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

anyone notice the compass international logo at the end of "Hell Night"" never seen that before. its not on the anchor bay dvd. pretty cool retro looking. so you can tell they used an old print..

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Cool may have to get this I still have the anchor bay DVD too

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I am pretty excited for American Gothic. It is one of these non gory "clean" horror gems from my youth. Despite the lack of detailed violence, it still plays out like an 80's horror film with the vibe from that era intact. With the only 16:9 version being the matted European dvd, I am curious what aspect ratio will be. Hopefully, whatever it is, it will be the true aspect ratio.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received American Gothic a couple of weeks ago from Shout Factory. The aspect ratio is 1.85:1

x666x likes this.
  19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, I think I said before here that this is way more exciting than SNDN and Hell Night. Love this movie! Strangely enough, this was a staple of WGN in the 90s, seemed like they aired it once a week.

The DVD from Trinity was fullscreen, but actually looked surprisingly good. I was surprised to see the MGM logo on the spine of Scream's blu-ray, since they never released it on DVD or VHS that I'm aware of. VHS was Vidmark, which I'm pretty sure was basically early LionsGate.

fceurich39 likes this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost