Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

You’re right, of course. It’s the same rubber reality, back from the grave with a vengeance schtick with all three. Mary Lou adds sexiness to the equation, and Sid is actually well-intentioned. Sorta. Sid also doesn’t really go for the unfunny one liners too much. He gets a couple, but they’re not as jarring as those in the later ANOES instalments. So yeah, I take it back, they’re both clones, but each has a distinct enough character to make them fresh and enjoyable for me. Neither of which I found Freddy from The Dream Child and onwards.

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I will say, though, that with the fraternity theme and Sid’s own death via a hazing ritual, it would have been cool if all the kills resembled hazing rituals. Some do, like the firecracker up the butthole, but others are kinda workmanlike - “oh there you are. I’ll just twist your head till your neck snaps. No time to get all creative with you.” Sid’s also a bit of an opportunist:
    ”I’m here to protect my son, but while I’m here, I might as well have some fun and get it on with this chick.”

Sid and Mary Lou also differ from Freddy in that they didn’t really deserve their fate. Mary Lou’s only crime was being a loose woman, while Sid hadn’t done anything to anyone except get some girl pregnant. Freddy was a child murderer and implied child molester, and still the universe sided with him over the parents who killed him.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Anyone know when Amityville ships?

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Also curious about this. Anyone also know how long their international shipping usually takes?
    Was hoping this would come before Halloween but seems pretty unlikely now that they haven't shipped yet.

Angelman likes this.
  7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Anxiously awaiting the Amityville set as well. As someone who loves low rent sequels far down the line in big franchises, there is so much for me to like with these later Amityvilles. Despite my Canadian-ness, even I'll admit that the Canadian The Amityville Curse (the one title that seems stranded between the Scream Factory set and the Vinegar Syndrome set) is the worst of the bunch, and that the four Amityvilles in this set are all fun in their own way (Dollhouse is the most bonkers, 1992 the most accomplished, The Evil Escapes the cheesiest and A New Generation the most, uh, okay in the bunch). I thought those movies would languish in shoddy Lionsgate bargain bin DVD transfers forever, so imagine my surprise when the transfers all look amazing from the stills and the extras lists are certainly more than you'd ever expect for these movies. Even the box art looks so collectible. Excited for Beserker too, slashers have always been my jam, and I've really been falling more and more in love with regional flicks these days (Blood Beat, Screams of a Winter's Night, Sudden Fury, House of Death, etc.). Vin Syn is hitting it out of the park these days.

8. Zombie Dude

Just an update for others that I got a shipping notification for the Amityville set today. So if you haven't got one yet I'd imagine it won't be long.

Katatonia likes this.
  9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here, got a shipping notification earlier this morning for the full October package... should arrive in time for Halloween! :)

Someone posted a pic of the set here.

[​IMG]

Zombie Dude and fattyjoe37 like this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Looks awesome. I heard the artwork was reversible so I wonder what the alt art will be? Apparently a couple of special features still haven't been confirmed yet either.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Received the October bundle today, along with a few others (too lazy to take separate pics):

IMG_20191023_162151.jpg

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I had the prism vhs of Berserker fond memories of that flick.

13. Zombie Dude

Those Vinegar Syndrome covers look stunning, well, except for Unmasked. I don't like the look of that one at all lol. Do you happen to have any pictures of the alt art from the Amityville set? :D

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I typically don't open my movies until I watch them. For Amityville, the outer box came as is, but the blu-ray cases inside are shrink-wrapped.

I did open and watch Unmasked: Part 25 tonight, which has the old Academy VHS cover on the reverse.

I didn't notice this until it was pointed out on another forum, but VS chose to emboss the nipples on the Beyond The Door cover. Hilarious!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/pho...eiRcAp_LwTEbI0UkxIMYldR5GTzbyLlJ&__tn__=-R1.g

MorallySound likes this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

"Black Friday flash preorder customers will have the option to upgrade their current BD/DVD combo of Tammy to a UHD/BD combo for $10. Upgrade payment links will be emailed early next week."

russweiss likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Yeah this seems like a really weird first title for them to do on UHD. Seen a review for the non gore cut that showed a lot of footage from the film and it seemed pretty terrible.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Yeah there's some films that just don't need UHD and this is one of them, I'll be happy sticking with my blu copy of this :p

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Personally, I think it's amazing that VS's first UHD (and will be mine too as I'm a yearly subscriber - still need to get the set-up though) is Tammy and the T-Rex. I love this cheesy/so-bad-it's-good flick and when I have the chance it'll also probably be the first one I watch when I do get around to going UHD at home. Sure it's terrible but it's oh so enjoyable and absolutely bonkers and I can't finally wait to see it with the gore scenes - which I always noticed were cut out as the PG-13 cut is choppily edited to excise those bits - intact!

Zombie Dude likes this.