Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I got my September package (plus Pandemonium) today. I guess the mailman didn't feel like bringing the box to my door so they hung it off the mailbox flag with a rubber band. Never saw that before. Kind of annoying to see a $100 box just haphazardly hanging out there next to the road, but it didn't get stolen or fall and get damaged, so I guess it's no big deal. It's totally pissing rain out now, so that could've really sucked if I didn't bring the package in an hour ago.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

hots4 and Kim Bruun like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I was getting that title anyway. But that review certainly makes me more excited to see it!

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I just bought it last night as well. Definitely watching it in October!

hots4 likes this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Spellcaster review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spellcaster-Blu-ray/274833/#Review

Killing Birds review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Killing-Birds-Blu-ray/276782/#Review

I did finally watch Killing Birds last night, and it wasn't quite as enjoyable as I remember. There's some seriously bad acting and written dialogue (mainly at the college) and later parts of the film are just downright boring. The VS transfer looks great though.

I hope VS reprints the Spellcaster cover to correct the "Bonus Features" errors though. They did it with Blood Games, so here's hoping...

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Trying to make a dent in all the VS I need to catch up on....So I randomly watched The Caller last night. Holy smokes, that might have been one of the most out of left field, WTF? endings I certainly didn't see coming in a film that I can remember. Definitely not for everyone (mostly all talking, only 2 characters) but I really found it engaging(I've always had a thing for Madolyn Smith after seeing her in Funny Farm as a kid)......and again that ending!

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had to have someone on another forum explain the ending to me because I didn't get it.

The cabin set is gorgeous, which helps keeps things engaging, considering most of the movie is two people at a cabin in the woods.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Clue for a 2021 title:

Lovecraft goes to Spain.

Popular guess seems to be Cthulhu Mansion.

zbinks likes this.
  11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Semi related topic about VS.

In the last two weeks I watched VS, Dolemite and Penitentiary I. Among other Blu's from different companies. During Dolemite, I noticed at least three "slowdown" times in playback. The first time it happened, I thought it was part of film. (I never saw the movie before) They lasted like 1-3 seconds, audio was perfect. Just looked slow mo. Passed it off as a isolated occurrence. So then about a week later, I noticed it again with Penitentiary I. So obviously I'm saying, alright whats going on here? I even Reversed and went over the same slow point. That did not reproduce the slowdown. Tried several times actually, only the original run though.

Anyway, I looked at the discs themselves. Both Blu's have tiny water spots on them. No scratches, no fingerprints, but these small blemishes. Penitentiary had a lot all over in different areas. I was able to wipe them clean. I did not try and play them again, but was this the problem? Was those spots causing the slowdown? Could my Sony player make those? And has anybody seen this on VS releases before? FYI, I'm super careful with my collection. I checked, and all the other recent films I played on my player were pristine. Some films I've handled multiple times. So it definitely wasn't me smudging them up.

P.S. - While being very careful in handling DVD/Blu's, to be honest I never inspect the discs all that much. Only time if I buy a used Blu, stuff like that. But when I open a brand new still in wrapper disc, I barely look. Figure no reason to. That and the fact Blu's are more resistant to scratches.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ My copy of The Killing Kind (brand new) froze up on me during one of the murder scenes. I gotta inspect the disc. So it's not just you.

baggio likes this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah my special features disc for spookies is a mess. The making of plays fine but the vipco doc is fucked.

14. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I've had that happen to a couple of my Game of Throne blu-rays but went back and replayed that part and it was fine. I think you can change your settings on your blu-ray player like the ms delay and it helps with issues like this. But movies freezing up completely I would contact VS and have them replace my disc if that happened.

baggio likes this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Did you try cleaning it and then playing it again?

Yeah, no freezes. Just slowdown. Same as you, couldn't replicate the problem on replay of same section.

gobad2003 likes this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'd have issues in the past where a disc would freeze or skip and sometimes it was fixed by simply using a different player. That has happened multiple times for me.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've tried 4 different players and cleaned it twice. Nothing, still does play correctly.

baggio likes this.
  18. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I would e-mail them for a replacement, The folks over at VS are very helpful and would hook you up no problem.

baggio likes this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Even for somebody outside of the US?

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Maybe let them know next time you place an order so they can include it with your package.