X-Files returns!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'm new to the series. I have been streaming them on Netflix and have just started Season 6 (I had to torrent the first movie because it's never available). I have to admit that it's kind of awesome and I will definitely purchase at some point.

Just four seasons (and one more movie) to go...by January 24th!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm waiting on Fox to send the replacement discs for Season 8 before I really dig into the Blu-rays in full. The black crush and loss of background detail on Season 8 is really horrible...and odd that it's only that one specific season that was affected by the issue.

The replacement discs are supposed to be shipped out in March according to Fox.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I keep re-reading this thread Kat and cannot find any info on why they are sending you replacement blu's for season 8? What is the problem with them? Should we avoid buy the huge Blu set because of any issues?

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They told me end of January when I emailed them to be put on the replacement program, but I saw on other forums it was postponed to March.

Not a big deal for me. I started watching last month and I'm still only in the middle of season 3, so I doubt I will make it to season 8 by March anyway. The new series will just have to wait on the DVR (hopefully the stupid football Fox is airing before it won't throw it out of its timeslot).

Really enjoying these blu-rays so far though. I had the old DVDs (which ended up selling on eBay for $130, way more than I paid for the blu-rays), but I don't think I've ever made it through the entire series from beginning to end.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Season 8 is DARK...very dark. There's severe black crush and little to no detail in darker background scenes. The iTunes version of Season 8 looks far better and without the issue affecting it.

You can read about it here and see screen comparisons: http://www.brandonklassen.com/x-files/x-files-blu-ray-season-8-black-crush/

Harry Warden likes this.
  6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Audible deal of the day is one of the new X-Files books by IDW Publishing. I'm on it for $5.00; saves me a credit. I think it is members only.

X-Files subreddit has a post for a review of the premier episode (I saw that one at NYCC) and also Mulder and Scully Meet The Were-Monster. He claimed the premier is just okay, which I can agree with, but said the Were-Monster one was lights out amazing. Good stuff. That reddit post is spoiler free, btw.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

"Mulder And Scully Meet The Were-Monster" is the Darin Morgan episode. He wrote 4 episodes in the original series and all 4 are widely considered fan favorites. In the extras on the blu-rays, Chris Carter just gushes about the Darin Morgan episodes and how they're the best of the series. I'll be the controversial opinion and say that I'm not a huge fan of his episodes. His writing has a very Diablo Cody style to it, where everyone talks in the same quirky over-the-top way, which is fine, but when established characters like Mulder and Scully are talking like that and it's completely out of character, it really takes you out of the show.

Episode 4 of the season (airing Feb 8th) is "Home Again", a follow-up to one of the show's most notorious episodes: season 4's "Home". Very intrigued by that.

Unfortunately, I'm still on season 3, so these new episodes will be sitting on the DVR for quite some time. :(

8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Really enjoyed last night's episode despite some clunky dialogue and a fast-tracked plot. The special effects have come a long way. It felt like the good ol 90's again only with a bigger budget. Looking forward to part 2 tonight.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Me too. I just loved hearing the theme song again.

Mok likes this.
  10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I wasn't very taken with the premiere episode. The series has a hard time with catching up after long breaks without just ignoring plot lines. It was a problem I had with the second movie and it continues in this new episode. To me it doesn't feel right to just ignore where we last saw the mythology and hope people forget all this big stuff that the series was building to.

As far as the plot of "My Struggle" in particular, the new mythology that Mulder is so excited about makes zero sense in terms of everything he saw over the course of the show. Not to mention we've had crisis of faith plot lines before and done better such as in the season 4 finale. Overall the episode seemed like a greatest hits reel designed to bring in new fans and not be too confusing for them. As someone who's seen the entire series a few times, I didn't get much new out of it. I am very excited about the next few episodes though as now that the set-up is out of the way we can just go on some monster-of-the-week adventures with still classic characters.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Mok likes this.
  11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I agree joe. It does kind of feel like a reboot. To be honest as somone who was an avid fan at one point, I'd be hard pressed to remember everything that has transpired. I only remembered they banged in the movie half way through. I think I wasn't too put off by the streamlined plot because of nostalgia kicking in. And common, you gotta admit the last scene was fuckin rad XD

12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Mediocre episode that felt like it was written by someone whose entire experience with the series was a Youtube montage, and wanted to channel his inner Michael Bay by adding some gratuitous explosions. Given said writer was Chris Carter, there is no fucking excuse. Totally phoned in effort, and if it wasn't a classic and bankable franchise I can't see how the hell the Fox execs would have green lit based on the pilot.

Some of the dialog was particularly teeth gritting, most frequently when it sounded like it was coming from characters that had never met each other, as opposed to having decades of close contact. Mulder got the bulk of such bad moments - grilling Skinner on his loyalties, ranting without substance on his latest revelation to a doubting Scully, making a personal jab at Scully about their relationship in the presence of a complete stranger. Again, it felt like it was written by someone who had never seen the show before and just did a caffeine fueled bing watch of season one before banging out a script. All the old early series clich├ęd exchanges came out to play, little of the evolved character interactions did.

The "foiled by the conspiracy" resolution was laughable in how gullible it required the characters to be - decades of paranoia, and they let their star witness go unattended long enough to be persuaded. Said witness then offed in a ridiculous fashion (alien craft visitation used to create simple car explosion, really? couldn't just hire a two bit mob hit man for that job, eh?). That shit worked for the first few seasons, by now the crew would have learned better to not walk away from their critical evidence right before they go public. Lazy, lazy writing.

Overall only the consensus that the upcoming episodes step things up a notch, and brought back some of the star writers of the past, will keep me watching. If this had been my first experience with the franchise, rather than being a rabid fan from the original airings, I would have never tuned in again.

13. Myron Breck

Q: I am finishing Season 9 tonight. Do I need to watch I WANT TO BELIEVE before I watch last night's episode?

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

While your points are certainly valid KGB, it could be argued that both Mulder and Scully are off their game since they haven't been IN the gsme for a while. Mulder is sort of a beaten man and years of constant conspiracies have made him a little senile. And Scully is too preoccupied with menopause to think clearly. :D

You're right though, the dialogue sounded like something a little kid would write. It made me wonder if its always been that way but I just didnt notice since I was younger.

Harry Warden likes this.
  15. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I think the main problem was that they had to make an episode for long time fans and folks who have been watching since the 90's. The mythology stuff stopped making sense early on in the series. This first episode didn't do anything to help. Instead it sort of excused it all by suggesting that none of it really mattered in the first place. I guess it was nine seasons of government subterfuge that led nowhere. I'm way more interested in the standalone "Monster of the Week" stuff, so tonight should be a step up.

16. fattyjoe37

I would. It helps fill in the gaps on some character stuff with Mulder & Scully and it's a decent story in its own right.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Liked ep 2 better. Again things seem a little bumpy but I'm liking the atmosphere enough to stick with it. Its more like the Resident Evil video games where something has been lost in translation and yet still has charm rather than the Michael Bay comparison.

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Loving the return!

Harry Warden likes this.
  19. fattyjoe37

Episode 2 was a big improvement for me. An interesting mystery with funny moments, squirm-inducing gore, and it actually dealt with the drama of everything the characters have been through together. It wasn't completely a monster-of-the-week episode, but a nice new mystery that could tie into the overall mythology. And now we're just a week away from a new Darin Morgan episode. I can't wait!

20. Myron Breck

Good call. I went ahead and watched the second movie and there was a reference in the first episode: "DON'T GIVE UP" on the back window of Scully's car. :)

Mok likes this.