Your October Halloween Enjoyment Items and Setup for 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Oct 22, 2019.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

As I'm trying to catch up on many things to really enjoy the October month and Halloween. I thought I would attempt a new topic about some of the items I have to enjoy October this year.

halloween items.jpg

I tried out Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale for the first time. Not sure about it yet. I'm tasting more beer than pumpkin so far.

I got back into Candy Corn a few years ago because I heard Jamie Lee Curtis mention it as a favorite. When I was a kid I would have it a lot. But for some reason I stopped. I guess it's one of those things you forget or think you grow out of but to rediscover years later.

Animal Crackers are a similar story to the Candy Corn. You might not think Animal Crackers have anything to do with horror. But the man disagrees.

rumsfield.jpg

Nothing special about the limited Milano cookies though. I just like an occasional Milano cookie. And the pumkin ones are pretty good.

I finally started the last portable Castlevania game, Order of Ecclesia. These portable Castlevania games usually take 20 hours or so for me to finish. So I'll be finished around the end of the month. I just made it to Dracula's castle. So far I think this is the best portable Castlevania game. I'm going to play all of them again one day to be sure. But this is the only one that I really look forward to playing again and I haven't finished it yet so that's a good sign. The main character is cool. The music is good. And it has a bit of an adventure feel like some of the old NES Castlevania games.

The Hellraiser Mondo record is a bit of a tease. I always listen to the Hellraiser music during October. But I still don't have a puzzle box prop yet. But I've found the version I'm getting and I'll have that for next year.

I already mentioned in another topic how I started the month off well with a Mondo Creature from the Black Lagoon poster.

[​IMG]

I was surprised at how easy it was getting it. Not like the old days of hoping to get through Mondo's ordering system. It won't show up till November though, so it's something I hope to have ready next year. Even though I don't have that Suspiria print, which I made a topic for, ready yet and that was from a few years ago.

Hopefully, as the years progress I'll have my posters and other items setup to really enjoy the month.

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Stopped by the good old pop up Halloween stores today. We got two in town, Spirit Halloween and Halloween City. The latter has better decorations but ultimately Spirit is where it's at (here, anyways)

I can honestly spend an hour in there and not even blink. Got my wife a sweet Harry Potter getup, but treated myself to a couple cool items

IMG_20191022_1956501.jpg

ImmortalSlasher and othervoice1 like this.
  3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I gotta look out for that Pumpkin Beer. Looks right up my ally. I had a bunch of Shiner Octoberfest's this past weekend. Outstanding. I'm still standing by my tradition of drinking Shipyard Pumpkinheads on Halloween. Gonna grab my Halloween case this weekend.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Funny you mention this, I've been playing the first two Castlevania games on my NES classic.

Back in the 80s, I never got far in the first one, this time around I've advanced further, but still have a ways to go. As for Simon's Quest, I actually made it to Dracula long before my roommate did (and it was HIS game!), but I never beat him. It's definitely a frustrating game with the day/night annoyance, and those damn spiders.

5. ImmortalSlasher

Are those Friday the 13th socks?

I was looking for something and found this.

Just Love Adult Onesie Pajamas skeleton.jpg

I have to look into what else they have of this style.

NES Castlevania was really difficult in the old days. It was a stuggle to get through. I love that third level where you can see Dracula's lair in the background.

I love that day and night change in Castlevania 2. For me, the best Castlevania games are all about travelling to the castle and the surrounding areas. I picked up this from those first two games.

castlevania_color_map.jpg

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Many games that I played as a kid seem easier now as an adult although I would have assumed it would be the opposite. Regarding Simon's Quest, there's a hacked ROM you can get that fixes the moronic day/night transition; once you have that I think it's probably easy to add it to the NES classic.
    As far as video games and Halloween go I always intend to go back and play Splatterhouse and maybe Rondo of Blood in Oct but seldom do. Maybe this thread will serve as a reminder...

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

You better believe it! They also had Michael and Freddy socks but I dug the Jason ones more. They go well with my recent Jason tattoo I got on the back of my calf

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Nah. As annoying as it is, I have a strict rule about not using cheat codes. Hell, my NY Times Crossword streak is at 198 days without using Google or anything to look up something.

9. ImmortalSlasher

I think it depends on the game. I know when I go back to some shooters, I'm rusty and find them difficult and it takes a few games to get back into it.

I guess few like that day to night transition. I thought it was cool.

Splatterhouse is going to be on the Turbografx 16 mini coming out soon. I think Rondo of Blood as well.

I don't think anyone figured out that dead end secret in Simon's Quest without looking at a guide back in the day. They could remake Simon's Quest into a really good game today without being vague about a bunch of stuff in that game.

10. ImmortalSlasher

Well Halloween is over. I'll probably finish up Order of Ecclesia over the weekend. Some of the fetch quests in the game slowed me down. Silly stuff like get the rare item to appear. But a game for next year showed up. I have a few other unplayed horror games but this one is related to Order of Ecclesia. That's a big hint.

We'll see how my setup and perhaps others are next year. Finishing up the last beer and bits of candy while writing up reviews. Already looking forward to next year.

11. ImmortalSlasher

I forgot to mention it, but in Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, they have the soundtrack to NES Castlevania as hidden and available via quest items to purchase. I don't know why yet. If they are just being clever or something else is going to happen. I'm about 50% in Dracula's Castle so I guess I'll find out soon.

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Been playing Super Castlevania IV, which, together with the first on the NES, is my favorites in the series.
    Love the look and atmosphere in the SNES game. Great soundtrack as well.

13. ImmortalSlasher

Super Castlevania 4 is great. I remember coming up with a top 5 or 3 Castlevania games once. The contenders were:

1. Castlevania
    2. Simon's Quest
    3. Castlevania III
    4. Dracula X
    5. Super Castlevania 4
    6. Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight / Symphony of the Night

Steel76 likes this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Changing thread title to "Official Castlevania Thread"

Kidding. Sort of.
    No, I'm totally stuck on Simon's Quest, and fairly early on. It sucks. But I'm not gonna look up hints on the internet. We couldn't do that in 1987, I won't do it now.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Some stuff I bought over October. I'm trying not to spend so it's just a few things you can see.

lucky13.jpg
    I picked up the shot glass at an antique store for $5 which is a near duplicate of a shot glass my grandparents had! It's not a good picture because of the background but the one on the left is the one I bought and the one on the right is my original. You can tell based on the differences that they were hand painted. And the one I just got had a trim line along the top. I don't think it wore off my original because it's otherwise in excellent condition. A cool find to match something my grandparents had!

audreyii.jpg
    I picked ups this Audrey II ornament from an art show. It's intricate and I've been admiring this artist's work for a few years now but I finally loved something enough to snatch it up. I don't know what the hell I'll do with it. I've been contemplating a Halloween tree for a few years now and even picked up Halloween ornaments from Target for a song so maybe I'll have to do that now.

beistleghost3d.jpg
    Sourpuss is a favorite store of mine so for my Halloween party I very literally did the following search and bought nearly all the decorations for my house with a 20% off coupon: https://www.sourpussclothing.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=beistle

I won't bore you all with pictures of everything, especially since I didn't even set them all up, but above is the 3D cardboard ghost that really caught my eye.

steampunkbat.jpg
    I got this mask from my visiting Aunt and Uncle as a belated birthday gift. It's a steampunk panther although they thought it was a bat so I'll take it as such. It's in season so what the hey I'll include it. It looks like someone took an animal mask and hot glued all the steam punk widgets on it. They did an excellent job! Not sure how I'll display it though.

eerie.jpg
    I bought the 1976 Warren "EERIE" mask in excellent condition towards the end of the month from that same antique store I got the shot glass. They also had a gypsy woman and monster mask for a few weeks but I went back and forth on it for too long and they both slowly sold over the month. I finally cracked and picked up Eerie when I saw three other paintings I wanted to buy. The time to buy 'em is when you see them! I got a good deal though after waiting so long I can live with that.

I'm trying not to visit any stores this weekend. The Halloween blow out sales always kill me even if I do get great stuff at great deals. I've got tubs and tubs of it now. I just can't keep buying this stuff!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Unfortunately my October ended pretty shitty with the passing of a good friend of mine. Horror fanatic is an understatement. So my buddy and I decided to honor him with some tats. Mine is the Myers one, my friend is the Freddy glove.

IMG_5339.jpg

FullSizeR_02.jpg

17. ImmortalSlasher

We did have that big Official Nintendo Guide Book back then. I know I used it for Goonies and Metroid when I was stuck. I assume Simon's Quest is in there too.

I would be surprised if you beat the game without hints. I don't believe the game gives you any sort of clue what to do on some puzzles. And I think it has multiple endings as well.

I'll play it again one day. I know I went back and played original Metroid without the guide. I still feel that the NES original Metroid is better than the GBA remake. NES Metroid is better than the new 3DS one as well. The 3DS one has some nice environments but the game doesn't really stick with you like the original. I don't remember any of the themes from that 3DS game like I remember with the NES game and SNES Super Metroid.

I'll play Goonies again one day without the map as well. I know those reverse and hidden doors really confused me when I was young.

What's that purple bag near the coffin? Is it from the same store? I think I might get something like that next year to hold the candy.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's a velvet cloth bag with some kinda bean fill to it. They're vaguely pumpkin shaped. Very heavy. I got it and a few more at a grocery store that was having a Halloween clearance. They came from the plant section at the time. I see things like them now and again in home decor and hobby stores.

19. ImmortalSlasher

Usually I just take the candy bag to the door. But some kind of Halloween witch bag or something would be more in line with the holiday. I've never come across that Sourpuss store either. Thanks.

20. ImmortalSlasher

I finished Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. It's probably the best portable Castlevania game but it's not a perfect game. And I'm going to replay all the portable GBA and DS Castlevania games again one day to be sure. But if you like Simon's Quest and the old Castlevania games, then you'll really like Order of Ecclesia. It just feels more like those older games at times. I would most likely put Order of Ecclesia right behind Symphony of Night on my list. But the structure of Order of Ecclesia is such that it could be better than Symphony of the Night. Probably with a bigger budget, more time / creativity, and on a main console.