Finally, a proper Cujo DVD (and other King CE's)

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, May 21, 2006.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

DavisDVD has reported that Paramount will be releasing new Collector's Editions of Cujo, The Dead Zone, and Pet Sematary in September.

I've been waiting for a properly remastered Cujo DVD for a long time, and the fact that it's going to be a CE is icing on the cake. Cool news about The Dead Zone too, as I think all of Cronenberg's films deserve special editions.

That said, I am quite disappointed and saddened by the thought of yet another year without Phase IV (among others) on DVD. So, this is bittersweet news for me.

2. Rerelease two movies that are already out on Paramount DVD and don't release Children of the Corn 2....good strategy Paramount.

Ah but fuck I'll be glad to have Cujo in widescreen since the old disc is Full frame, and Paramount will do original aspect ratio.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Glad they're doing a SE of Pete Sematary. That should be awesome.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm glad I held off on Cujo and The Dead Zone. I'll be picking those up, but won't get Pet Sematary because I already own it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2006
  5. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Paramount has sure got it all figured out.Make the bucks of the barebones junk then release them all again in special edition.I will replace all three of these so they get my money twice for the same movie.

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

The minute The Dead Zone and Pet Sematary hit the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart, I knew we'd get SE's.

Notice also that SE's of The Untouchables and Witness came after those titles circulated in the $5.50 discount bins as well.

And now Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful (also $5.50 mainstays) are getting SE's.

Paramount is becoming too predictable, but I'm glad these SE's are coming.

Maybe this means we'll eventually get a SE of Clue. :)

One question, though...how did Paramount obtain Cujo? This was at Artisan/Lionsgate.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  7. Noto

Noto Guest

In the early years of their DVD history, they didn't release anything remotely considered a Special Edition. That, and Paramount was one of the last of the majors to jump in on the re-releasing of titles.

It took nearly eight years for me to be able to obtain a Special Edition of Mission: Impossible. I can't really bitch about a double-dip when they are seperated by the better part of a decade. All three of the bare bones releases have been available for years now. I can't fault a company for releasing better product.

8. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

True.As long as they price them fairly.They could have just released them in SE in the first place though.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

wow is paramount actually taking interest in releasing special editions of horror movies on dvd? it certainly looks that way 2006 is shaping up quite nice for paramount with event horizon already out and paramount adding extras to hellraiser 3 hell on earth!

anyway probably wont get dead zone cause i already have the bare bones dvd and i also have pet cemetary and cujo on vhs but i may double dip on cujo though!

10. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

all this but no my bloody valentine and f13th 1-8 uncut on dvd?

11. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Will have to see what special features are on the Dead Zone and Pet Semetary DVDs, since I already own them. I don't own Cujo, but will probably buy it.

12. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

ah...of course i just bought The Dead Zone. glad i held off on Pet Sematary, though.

13. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I also will wait and see exactly how "special" these SE's are before buying Pet Sematary and Cujo. I'm not nuts about Dead Zone and will not get that one.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I will be getting Pet Sematary and Cujo.

15. I'll be getting all three but release shit that hasn't been released on DVD already is my point.

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Paramount gained ownership of the Republic Pictures library several months back, which includes titles like Cujo, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc.

17. Luna

Luna Guest

I'll add these to my very long list of DVDs to get. :D

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Man, these are gonna be tough to turn down despite my hatred of Paramount.
    Since they got Republic now, maybe they'll do a SE of Body Bags.

It's a great time for dvd as lots more titles are getting the SE treatment before the HD revolution fully kicks in. All companies are milking the cow hard.:D

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks like I'll finally pick up all three.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I never picked up the ancient edition DVD's of Cujo and The Dead Zone, so I'm all for buying these new editions.