Is Avatar the best movie yet???

Discussion in 'General' started by springjack, Dec 20, 2009.

1. springjack

springjack New Member

Well, after years of anticipation and wait I finaly saw "Avatar"

Let me just say that I realy loved every aspect of the movie.
    The special effects are out of this world, the 3D is awsome, the characters are good and the story, while not original in any way is very well told and is beautiful.

One of the best experiences I had so far in the movies. Will see it again soon...
    ________
    White widow seeds

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

One time I watched Rhett pick up a tube of toothpaste with his asscheeks.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Not the best movie ever, but Cameron has never failed to amaze me! The CG images were stunning. Seeing it on an IMAX 3D screen was very impressive and at first I thought it wouldn't have a lot of re-watchability, but now I'm thinking I want to go back and see it again. I will definitely get it on Blu Ray!

4. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

It looked fantastic, but the story was old hat, played out, and, really, pretty boring. If the story was as solid as the visual effects, then it could have been a classic. As it stands? I'd vote no.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

when you watch this in 2D on your home cinema, it will lose much of its impact, but i had a great time in the cinema in 3D

6. MacReady

MacReady New Member

"Is Avatar the best movie yet???"

A better question is: "Will this movie be worth watching X number of years from now?"

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. A lesser movie in the Cameron cannon.

8. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

the beginning was horribly boring...but around hour and half mark i got better. it was beautiful tho, the effects were great...some good social commentary too...not the best movie ever tho. i liked it

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I heard a lot of this before I watched it and I agree that we've seen it before, as a matter of fact, it is Dances with Wolves with aliens. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the story even though it wasn't as original or as solid as other Cameron films.

I tend to agree with you here, but I'm hoping that it will still hold up. As I said earlier, I didn't think it would have a lot of re-watchability, but now I want to see it again, but I want to see it again in IMAX 3D!

Again, re-watchability, that will be the key. Other Cameron films are VERY re-watchable and the Terminator films and Aliens are ones I've sat through countless times. I don't know if this will hold up as well on home video. Of course the Blu Ray format will help it quite a bit, since this one is one that will use the format to its max potential.

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I'm sorry but I read the positive reviews and I wonder, what would these guys write if the SAME, exactly the SAME picture had the signature of Emmerich. Ok, there is the Cameron element of the dynamic female character but the story is sooooo obvious. Ok, it's intruders vs natives, the europeans will love this and see into it a "deep social commentary" but there ain't one here. This is an overlong and - here's the big problem - completely HUMORLESS film that DEMANDS respect because it THINKS it's sooo great and serious. Well, it was nice to see in 3D but appart from that this is very lesser Cameron.

11. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

"Dances with Smurfs".

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I have no desire to see this at all.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Obviously, it's NOT the best movie ever, for many of the reasons outlined already (average storytelling, piss-poor dialogue, one dimensional characters, etc), but damn is it good to look at.

That said, it got me to thinking. In a lot of ways, couldn't we say the same thing about Suspiria, or many of the incoherent Italian horror films we all enjoy so much? I realize it's not on the same stage. Avatar appeals to the masses and rakes in the box office bucks, Suspiria was aimed at a more specific audience. But still, why do we overlook style-over-substance in one genre, and not in another?

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

15. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I have a problem with it being hailed as the movie that will "change everything". Big leap forward in terms of technology? I didn't think so. It looked good but I would prefer a movie to use 3d in a meaningful way not just as a marketing gimmick. Was the story special? It wasn't even original. And the blatant environmentalism and naive, even comical take on the US and the "noble savages" was childish. Don't get me started on the impossible psychics or "connection to nature". It couldn't be hailed because of the characters who were cookie cutter to the extreme. Nor could it be the script and dialog which are forgettable and mostly laughable. So in the end we have a massive budgeted movie "experience" that lasts an excruciating 2 hours and 40 minutes. I have heard people say Cameron couldn't have made it shorter and it could have even been longer. Are these people insane?

Also for me it is easier to overlook style over substance when the movie at least tries to have an original idea. And most movies don't have the sort of backing or time Cameron has enjoyed with Avatar so they might not have the years or help to iron out a classic script or a competent story to go along with their visual ideas.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

While I get your meaning Paff, nobody was comparing Suspiria to Citizen Kane before its release (New Yorker). But with that said, even my own Ghostbusters thread has surprised me by showing a lot more open minds about what is great cinema than I've found in other movie forums.

But I'll admit my own statements of say Night of the Living Dead could be rather sweeping; as I've always said that horror was one way before and another way after 'Night.' With Avatar we'll see. It very well may draw the line in the sand; after this point if you want to make it in Hollywood it has to be 3D. Historically the next big thing is too hard to predict, not something to be simply excepted from the Hollywood hype machine.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Man are we a jaded bunch. I watched a comedy special the other night and the comedian was saying that if you showed Transformers to an audience in 1950 they would literally blow their brains out. It would be that mind-blowing. Now we just say, "it sucks." He was making the point that audiences are so dismissive. I mean come on, it is kind of a game-changer.

18. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

19. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Why not try the opposite routte? Back in the 70s, Godfather was a blockbuster too. Indeed it was! If you show it to todays audience you would get "too slow... too boring...". As for criticism, we are not comparing films from different decades. But films of the SAME director. Aliens is indeed an action gem. T2 also. Avatar... I don't think so.

20. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I wouldn't call it dismissive. I mean, are the effects and explosions and eye candy the real measure of quality?

I think that the advent of superior special effects and the initial "oooh, ahhhh" factor brought with it the notion that special effects were more important (and often even replaced) competent stories, scripts, and acting. We've been bombarded by these types of films to such a degree now that a sizeable portion of the audience is now saying "wow that really sucked" to movies that are all flash and no substance. I mean, I like great effects as much as the next guy, but for some of these movies it's like taking some really expensive great smelling perfume and spraying it on a turd.