Jess Franco on Blu Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jul 20, 2012.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

And with the Indicator announcement of the Fu Manchu Cycle collection, that means Jess Franco's The Blood of Fu Manchu and The Castle of Fu Manchu are getting some better Blu-ray upgrades (since the Blue Underground double-feature Blu-ray had worse compression than the DVDs) as these are getting new 4K scans from the original negatives. Full details were listed in the Indicator thread here: http://horrordvds.com/community/thr...-ray-release-thread.48327/page-12#post-869812

satans-sadists likes this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

MorallySound and Katatonia like this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Der Todesrächer von Soho (The Corpse Packs His Bags) German blu-ray just released on April 2nd. It doesn't appear to be English friendly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. russweiss

Faceless is receiving a limited edition in Germany on May 6th. This may not be English friendly.

[​IMG]

Katatonia likes this.
  5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

7. russweiss

Angel of Death is another Fullmoon release so there is about a 50/50 chance there will be something wrong and they'll have to send a replacement out.

8. MorallySound

Despite it saying and being promotd with Franco's name above the title Angel of Death is NOT a Franco film... He was originally attached but left the project before it actually went to camera (or he had only filmed a VERY small portion, if any) and it was directed/completed by Andrea Bianchi.

9. russweiss

Here is some information I found.

The movie is the end result of conflicting projects of director Jesús Franco and the producers. «I started doing a movie that was titled "Gente del rio", in which appeared Mengele who was hidden there, and was wonderfully played by Howard Vernon. "Gente del rio" was a film about some fishermen who live in a town in Central America and know that Mengele lives there, but nobody dares to come up to him. Until some of them attempt to catch him. The movie is their fight to get hold of that bastard. And they get him. It was based on persons I met in Brazil, former Nazis who lived like gods on some fucking rural estates, and what I wanted was to show the clash between these people and the humble people of the river. But the producer wanted to give more importance to the character of Mengele, but in Andrea Bianchi's shabby action movie way. I did not want to do that with that character, who is a sinister and sordid type, but who must be given another treatment, not as if he was a street whore. So I abandoned the film, and in the end I left it. I did not finish it, nor did I want to finish it, because it was wrong, and I did not want it to appear out there on video. Almost all the material that I did with the Italians is like this, they did me a thousand dirty tricks, everything went wrong, and that's why I have never admitted the film as mine. » - Interview of July 23, 2009, in "Jess Franco: de los márgenes al cine de autor. Análisis del relato cinematográfico", Tesis doctoral. Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 2009. (translated from Spanish and slightly edited)

10. MorallySound

I've read that info prior. While the quote, especially the last line, does make it sound like he shot a lot of it, Stephen Thrower - who's interviewed and is well-versed on Franco's filmograhpy - has confirmed it's also not a Franco film and what appears in the finished work is mostly, if not all, Bianchi's takeover.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

When do we get a Jess Franco 4K UHD, what company takes the plunge and what film will it be?

MorallySound likes this.
  12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What do we need to do to get Faceless on US Blu? I just revisited it for the first time in a while - what a great flick!

Angelman likes this.