The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 26th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

67) Elvira: Mistress of the Dark: Since this year marks the 40th anniversary of Elvira's tv show, I thought it was time to revisit this. Still entertaining - even if it feels like a R rated kids film - with Elvira in top form.

68) Vamp: The lesser of 80's horror comedy, "Vamp" is still a unique and colorful addition to the sub genre. It's also obvious this was a huge influence on "From Dusk 'Till Dawn".

69) Return of the Living Dead: One of my all time favorites that never gets old.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

20. Werewolf Shadow (Leon Klimovsky, 1971)

[​IMG]

Waldemar Daninsky Part IV: The Final Chapter? No, apparently not, as there are still several to come. By this point, Naschy really seems to have hit his stride with these. Just like the Fury before, Shadow is focused primarily on Naschy's character and his sexy, muscle-y, brooding, tortured existence. Some nice violent werewolf attack scenes, complete with flesh and gore dripping from his fangs. The makeup is quite good, as it was in the previous film. Despite what I've read elsewhere, these films are...sort of...loosely...connected. Or they at least seem to want to exist in the same universe. Details regarding backstory and such change, but on the whole this is the same character.

21. Offerings (Christopher Reynolds, 1989)

[​IMG]

For a film that came out in '89, the influence of Carpenter's original Halloween is all over this thing. Right down to the pulsating synth score. The kindertrauma, the hospital escape, the obsessive doctor teaming up with the local lawman, the gradual stalking of the central teenage girl. Some of the kills are similar, there's a vandalized graveyard, and many of the lighting and staging choices are clearly borrowed from Halloween. It's low budget and somewhat inept, but at the same time remains watchable and oddly endearing. For a film that is so blatantly ripping off another, earlier work, it somehow manages to still feel like the people involved were just trying to make the best thing they could. The concept behind the title is a good one. I enjoyed watching this.

22. Alfred Hitchcock Presents S02E20 - Malice Domestic (John Meredyth Lucas, 1957)

[​IMG]

A happy couple agrees to dog-sit for their friends following a swanky party. Is the wife having an affair? Why is the husbands stomach giving him trouble? Ralph Meeker is great playing a smug son-of-a-bitch. All this and more (well...just a bit more, considering the short run time) in this well crafted and satisfying episode. I love the recurring bit of Hitchcock placating the censors by revealing after the episode is over that the villain was, of course, punished for their crimes. So all is right with the world and everyone gets their just desserts. Not that you'd ever see that happen on screen, of course.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 32:
    Cult of the Cobra (1955)
    First Time Viewing (Scream Factory's Universal Horror Collection Vol. 6 Blu-ray box set)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    26. DAY OF THE SERPENT: There better be a motherf*ing snake in this motherf*ing movie.

Solid Universal horror works as a Cat People riff and a killer snake film.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 25TH:

UNDER WRAPS.png

68. Under Wraps (2021) (Disney Channel / DVR) - Super corny remake of the 1997 Disney Channel Original Movie Under Wraps. As for the corniness, I guess what do you expect? It's for kids. Basically a Halloween decoration of a movie. It's cutesy, littered with Halloween decorations, includes a big Halloween dance, but won't leave much of an (if any) impression once it is over. Wonderful character actress Karin Konoval has a small role in this, but isn't really given anything to do. The child actors are so over-the-top that there isn't any sort of creepiness to it. IMDB reviewers are complaining that it is too "woke" because of a 5 second reference where the girl casually mentions she has two dads. I don't think we even see the dads in the movie? It was two days ago and I can't remember. People are sad and crazy. Anyway, it'd make good background noise for the kids, I guess?

TRICK.png

69. Trick (2019) (Blu-ray) - Ridiculously hyper slasher flick with a huge body count but little-to-no script. It's just a 100-minute string of random death scenes and some Halloween decorations. Most slasher movies kick off with a little five-minute opening kill, this one's takes place over several years and goes on for over thirty minutes. I kept waiting for the movie to start. I saw this when it was released and thought it was a mess, but I was hoping the repeat viewing here might help it click for me. Having seen it again, I still think it's a huge mess. There's bursts of fun throughout, plus it has Tom Atkins, but good luck making sense of it all. I will say it made slightly more sense this time around, but it definitely won't be an annual Halloween favorite for me.

70. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 4 "Apocalyptic Horror" (AMC / DVR) - More clipshow horror featuring movies like Zombieland, World War Z, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, The Omega Man, 10 Cloverfield Lane, I Am Legend, Train To Busan, etc. Not my favorite subgenre. Normally this show makes me want to go watch the featured movies instead, but I didn't have any desire to revisit these after watching.

OCTOBER 26TH:

[​IMG]

71. Chucky Episode 3 "I Like To Be Hugged" (SyFy / DVR) - Another home run episode, this one being the best yet. I'm really loving this show and I hope everyone here is watching it. We even get a look at Charles Lee Ray's childhood in a very creepy flashback sequence. I'm loving how autumn this show feels, and even though last week was the Halloween episode there are still pumpkins and autumn leaves everywhere. In Child's Play 2 we got Chucky terrorizing a suburban household, but here he is terrorizing all of suburbia and I'm here for it! Can't wait for next week, and I'm hoping the ratings are high enough to for Mancini and co to bring us a season two... and three and four and five. Cannot recommend this series enough!

DARK NIGHT.png

72. Dark Night Of The Scarecrow (1981) (Blu-ray) - The great thing about '70s and '80s made-for-TV horror movies is that when you can't rely on gore, you have to rely on storytelling. Not only that, but they're always littered with an assortment of amazing character actors to bring it to life. Even having seen this movie three or four times before, there are dialogue scenes between characters in this that are so intense they still gave me goosebumps. I think Charles Durning's performance gets the most praise, and he deserves it, but I think Jocelyn Brando's performance (sister of Marlon) here is especially powerful and little Tonya Crowe gives a pretty amazing performance for a child actor. Even without any on-screen graphic violence, there's a scuzzy-ness beneath the surface here, especially in regards to Durning's character. The final moments are haunting and perfect. Even 40 years later and on repeat viewings, it is just as powerful as it ever was. And even a decade later, the blu-ray restoration is still an absolute knock-out. Essential.

Also finished a book: Clown In A Cornfield by Adam Cesare. Terrific little slasher read, I thought it was great fun! Highly recommended.

CLOWN.png

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"
    14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021)
    15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992)
    16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck"
    17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
    18. V/H/S/94 (2021)
    19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside"
    20. House Of Death (aka Death Screams) (1982)
    21. Welcome To The Blumhouse: The Manor (2021)
    22. House Of Wax (2005)
    23. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Madres (2021)
    24. Slugs (1988)
    25. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 2 "Infections"
    26. Midnight Mass Episodes 1 - 4 "Book I: Genesis" "Book II: Psalms" "Book III: Proverbs" "Book IV: Lamentations"
    27. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 1 "A Smashing Sequel"
    28. Hallow's End (2003)
    29. The Walking Dead Season 11 Episodes 7 & 8 "Promises Broken" & "For Blood"
    30. Devil's Night (aka Left For Dead) (2007)
    31. Have A Nice Weekend (1975)
    32. Sorority Kill (1974)
    33. Chucky Episode 1 "Death By Misadventure"
    34. Day Of The Dead Episode 1 "The Thing In The Hole"
    35. The Caretaker (2008)
    36. The Disappointments Room (2016)
    37. Midnight Mass Episodes 5 - 7 "Book V: Gospels" "Book VI: Act Of The Apostles" "Book VII: Revelation"
    38. Evil Breed: The Legend Of Samhain (2003)
    39. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 9 "Blue Moon"
    40. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episodes 1 & 2 "It's Thursday" & "It's Not Just For Dog Shit"
    41. Halloween Kills (2021)
    42. You Season 3 Episodes 1 - 5 "And They Lived Happily Ever After" "So I Married An Axe Murderer" "Missing White Woman Syndrome" "Hands Across Madre Linda" "Into The Woods"
    43. Alone In The Dark (1982)
    44. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episodes 3 & 4 "A Gorilla Head Will Not Do" & "Hot Shrimp Salad"
    45. Slumber Party Massacre (2021)
    46. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 2 "Don't Lose Your Head"
    47. Deadly Friend (1986)
    48. You Season 3 Episodes 6 - 10 "W.O.M.B." "We're All Mad Here" "Swing And A Miss" "Red Flag" "What Is Love?"
    49. Superstition (1982)
    50. Old (2021)
    51. Chucky Episode 2 "Give Me Something Good To Eat"
    52. Happy Hell Night (1992)
    53. The Night House (2020)
    54. Night Teeth (2021)
    55. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 3 "Psychics"
    56. Tower Of Terror (1997)
    57. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 10 "The Future Perfect"
    58. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episode 5 "Mukbang"
    59. Just Beyond Episodes 1 - 4 "Leave Them Kids Alone" "Parents Are From Mars, Kids Are From Venus" "Which Witch" "My Monster"
    60. Day Of The Dead Episode 2 "Chum"
    61. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
    62. Party Crasher: My Bloody Birthday (2000)
    63. The Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror XXXII"
    64. Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988)
    65. The Mothman Prophecies (2002)
    66. Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)
    67. Prey (2021)

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

* = First Time Viewing

Blood Bath (1966)*
    I know there's lots of different iterations/cuts of this film but I just watched the "Blood Bath" version since that's kind of the version I imagine was accepted by the public (to the extent the public saw this). Part beatnik comedy, part vampire film (kinda) part House of Wax... it's a pretty easy way to spend 60 minutes though it's not that engaging and the leads don't really endear themselves to you - the "heroes" or the "villain". Just not my bag, man (to be read in beatnik voice).

The Dead Next Door (1989)
    I had seen a DVD of this 10+ years ago but surprisingly enjoyed revisiting this regional "popsicle sticks and scotch tape" production. It's basically a Dawn of the Dead plot but with zombies that maybe run a little more. It's cheap, the acting is amateur through and through and it's clear the community in Akron, Ohio threw in with the (then 19 year old) director J.R. Bookwalter. Maybe it's the unrealized director in me but the whole thing is so gory, goofy, endearingly made and infectiously fun its easy to look past the cheap 8mm filmmaking. Recommended as a late-80s backyard horror.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Two things - I have, from a pretty good source, word that that proper materials/negatives for this - at least right now - are just straight up missing. So it would have to come from a print, assuming one worthy of restoration exists somewhere.

And yeah - my local video store in the 80s had this right at the door when you came in and that cover is now part of my DNA.

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Motel Hell – There’s quite a bit to like about this movie and I do find it entertaining but at the same time I’ve always found it to be a bit disappointing. It takes place at a motel like the title implies except it’s a motel that has a sort of farm setup with a smokehouse and a lot of the movie takes place there, so it really doesn’t feel like a motel. Then there’s the victims, most of them aren’t guests but rather people the owner caused to get into car accidents down the road. There’s probably about a minute of screen time that takes place in a hotel room. All of this makes the cool sounding title seem somewhat unrelated to the movie itself. It’s also a bit light on the kills. I’ve seen this movie several times so none of this is surprising and it doesn't stop me from wanting to occasionally watch it but I always find myself thinking about all this at some point while watching it.

8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 44:
    The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)
    22. BEASTS OF BURDEN: One where a horse/donkey/mule/ox etc is doing some serious work.

Not enough beast or mountain.

[​IMG]

Movie # 45:
    The House on Tombstone Hill (1989)
    23. DEPT. OF INDUSTRY & LABOR: A story based on doing a job. Speaking of jobs, yours ain’t finished yet, 8 days to go!

I can confirm that there is a house, and there are indeed dead dudes in said house. This movie is a real treat. I started out hating this movie years ago. Repeat viewings over the years and I've come to love it.

Colin, f.ramses, f0t0z00m and 7 others like this.
  9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 27

Every year I take a vacay the last week of October, sit back with a cup of coffee and chill to a boatload of movies...

121. Killer Party (1986) Blu - A group of girls must got to an old house to participate in a hazing party in order to join a sorority. The house has a demonic spirit waiting for them. This one just arrived. A first time watch that wasn't as good as some in the genre, but an okay watch I guess.

122. Hellraiser: Judgement (2018) IMDB TV - A couple of brothers that are detectives are on the case of a serial killer, but things may be much worse than they suspect. Well, I made it through all 10. This was another one that seemed to want to make a crime movie and fit in pinhead somehow. For me there was too much gross out shit. Not talking about gore either, just a bunch of senseless gross shit. Another bad pinhead and a pointless hour and 21 minutes. Not holding too much hope that the remeake coming in 2022 is going to be worth watching, female pinhead and all. They never learn their lesson.

123. Grizzly II: Revenge (1983) Blu - A very large grizzly bear goes after some poachers that killed a cub and ends up terrorizing a major rock concert. Well, where do I start. This one definitely has a nostalgia factor with its 37 years in the making and everything. Some of the added footage from recently really didn't fit in too well as it was noticeably hi-res while the older feature looked slightly more drab. The concert had some really crappy music, but the funny thing was, they used a Nazareth show with a huge audience to pull this off. You can see some fans holding a Nazareth banner in one scene even though Nazareth wasn't part of the movie itself. Found that hilarious. The movie has a very abrupt ending as well. Don't regret picking it up or the watch, just a really oddball thing to witness.

124. Halloween III: Season Of The Watch (1982) Blu - I'll save the synopsis as I'm sure everyone has seen this one multiple times. It's a great Halloween season show to watch. I haven't picked up the 4K yet. I'm a little annoyed that some of these studios do this shit, release a huge box, everyone buys, then they announce 4k. I do have a copy of the 1978 film in 4K inbound however for Halloween night

125. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) Blu - Another film that needs no introduction. Decided to watch some threes today. Always liked this film. It helped that I've always been a Dokken fan as well. This franchise really needs a decent box set on Blu or even 4K. I do still have my New Line Cinema DVD box set from years ago that was done very nice.

126. Friday The 13th Part III (1982) Blu - I took in the 2D this year. It is funny watching it that way and still seeing all of the intentional goofy stuff to get the most out of the 3D. It's a fun ride either way.

~Rocker10

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

So obviously it's more than just a rights issue preventing a Blu-ray of Blood Beach. I've only seen it on VHS, a bootleg disc, and now YouTube. Would be nice to see the creature more clearly. Too many dark & murky scenes. You never know. Some miracles have happened and a decent print materializes.

I've collected my share of foreign posters with alternate art, but this original U.S. artwork for Blood Beach is just perfect nostalgia. Takes you back to 80's VHS rental stores.

Angelman, hots4 and indrid13 like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 25th

ROCKTOBER BLOOD (1984)

[​IMG]

A late night recording studio session finds lead singer Billy "Eye" Harper (Tray Loren) laying down some vocal tracks. Bandmates are ready to call it a night, everyone except for girlfriend Lynn (Donna Scoggins). Harper prefers to leave her to work on a song he wrote called "Rainbow Eyes" - that and the urgent need to screw another girl waiting for him. After a supposed quickie, Billy heads back to the studio to find a skeleton crew, including the sound engineer. With no rhyme or reason, he unleashes a murderous rampage. Lynn survives and testifies against him. Harper is tried, found guilty, and executed in that order. We are told later on that Billy Eye killed 25 people that night, despite bearing witness to just a few. Nevertheless, 2 years later remaining band members have formed with Lynn a new group called Headmistress. How will they fare with the new lineup? More concerning would be Lynn getting stalked by Billy himself, long after he is dead.

Despite growing up an 80's metalhead and still loving many of the bands to this day, it's surprising that this was my first viewing of Rocktober Blood. Not sure why, probably too many rentals of Iron Maiden's Live After Death (1985) and Trick or Treat (1986)? Headbanger's Ball weekly episodes also factored in. Seeing this for the first time at my age now, Rocktober Blood was disappointing. I never required deep explanations for everything in genre cinema, but Billy Eye turning homicidal for nothing other than being "fucking crazy" all of a sudden feels like lazy storytelling. Poor script with some awful dialogue
    Billy is talking to one of the women about her period blood(!?!)
    doesn't work. Tray Loren is just a terrible actor and portrays Billy Eye as a psychopathic misogynist who I can't see inspiring a legion of headbanging fans nor do I buy him as a rock star with the attempted Paul Di'Anno (Maiden's frontman before Bruce Dickinson) haircut. Tony Fields on the other hand was much more convincing as Sammi Curr in Trick or Treat (1986). A band called Sorcery portrayed Headmistress and provided songs for the soundtrack. Nothing wrong with their music, but I would take Fastway any day over them. Fastway did the Trick or Treat soundtrack and featured Fast Eddie Clark, an original member of Motörhead. The music of Sorcery can also be heard in Stunt Rock (1978).

About 5 years ago, a hyped up Blu-ray release of Rocktober Blood was announced on social media. It was like $50.00 plus shipping, so I avoided that. Not going into any details, but I remember this one was a disaster. I checked this out on YouTube. Something tells me if I first watched this movie as a kid, maybe I wouldn't be so harsh on it today?

12. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Active Member

16. The Invisible Ray (1936)

Got the idea to watch this from one of Rocker10 posts, I think it was last year. Universal film with Lugosi and Karloff. Really liked the beginning, as it had an old school Science Fiction feel and interesting set up. The middle dragged for me. The ending was ok and wrapped things up quickly. Ok one time watch.

indrid13, Rocker10, CPT HOOK and 3 others like this.
  13. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

You and I are alot alike. Those two videos you mentioned were my go to's as well. Huge Maiden fan and Fastway fan. Trick or Treat for me was THE rock horror movie for me. I have never seen Rocktober Blood either.

~Rocker10

indrid13 and satans-sadists like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 27th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

70) Broadcast Signal Intrusion: A video archivist unearths a conspiracy connecting a series of pirate tv broadcasts with the disappearances of three women. Taking its fair share of influence from different creepypastas, “Broadcast Signal Intrusion” is an entertaining, supernatural neo-noir. Lead actor Harry Shum jr. really owns the role as a grief-stricken husband who slowly becomes obsessed with a conspiracy and may be succumbing to madness. The film does a good job of containing the mystery behind the tapes, throwing in several good twists and turns to keep you guessing. The atmosphere is brooding and dark and features some great set pieces that stick out in my mind after the fact. I’ll admit, some of the supporting cast members are not that good, the homeless harbinger type in particular, which took me out of the film at points. Overall, I thought this was a great one that has flown under the radar. (7/10)

71) The Night House: A grieving widow begins to have disturbing visions and uncovers sinister secrets from her late husband’s past. This is a huge step up for director David Bruckner following the disappointment that was “The Ritual” and is his most mature film to date. “The Night House” does owe a lot to “What Lies Beneath” but with a J-Horror twist, making for one of the more unique supernatural thrillers of the last decade. As usual, Rebecca Hall is fantastic here – I tell you, this woman is beyond underrated – bringing the emotional aspects of the story to life. Things do come undone – a bit – in the final act that kind of killed my suspension of disbelief
    The husband was abducting woman that kind of looked like his wife as sacrifice to some sort of demonic entity. Somehow this creature was stupid enough not to catch on to this even after the husband murders about a half dozen women before killing himself.
    That pothole aside, I can still give this a high recommendation. (7/10)

72) [REC]: This one never gets old. The raw gritty feel and the claustrophobic apartment complex makes for a tension fueled nightmare.

73) The Blair Witch Project: One of the all time greats of horror, and without question the best found footage film ever made.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

14th - October Madness No.23

[​IMG]
    Home Sick (2007) - Rating: 1.5/5

This early Adam Wingard feature is a mess. Bad acting, bad writing, and feels like its constructed by someone with severe ADHD. Bill Moseley shows up for one scene and steals it, but that's about it. Crazy to think Wingard went on to Godzilla Vs. Kong when Home Sick shows not much talent...

15th - October Madness No.24

[​IMG]
    Resurrection (1999) - Rating: 2/5

It's Se7en but with Christopher Lambert and Russell Mulcahy at the helm. Some gory murder-set-pieces, but suffers from that late-90s hyper-stylized camera work that feels dated and unfocused.

15th - October Madness No.25

[​IMG]
    Witchcraft V: Dance with the Devil (1993) - Rating: 2.5/5

This was my first experience with the Witchcraft series, a staple I always saw on the video shelves way back but never rented, and I have to admit I had a blast watching this! Pure cheese, this blender-mix of horror, erotic thriller, and shlock on a late-night cable move budget is always entertaining with just how good-bad it is.

16th - October Madness No.26

[​IMG]
    Leprechaun in the Hood (2000) - Rating: 2/5

Where's there to go after space? The hood! Pretty tame and lame entry in the Leprechaun series that moves into Scary Movie-parody territory but falls flat. The end credits rap scene is incredibly bad and cringey....

16th - October Madness No.27

[​IMG]
    Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha' Hood (2003) - Rating: 3/5

And we're back! But this time around they've at least found a mix of horror and comedy that works better. Much better than the previous entry, Back 2 Tha' Hood is actaully not that bad for a 6th series entry.

17th - October Madness No.28

[​IMG]
    Leprechaun: Origins (2013) - Rating: 1.5/5

This WWE Studios reboot forgets everything that made the Leprechaun series enjoyable and instead makes a movie that's void of humour, a brain, and an actual Leprechaun - and these (aside from a brain) are key components to the franchise as a whole - instead, we get a knock-off creature that appears moreso based on the design of the creature in the movie Elves and they forgot to make it appear small, as it's long appendages hide that Hornswaggle is under the costume and it feels full-sized!

17th - October Madness No.29

[​IMG]
    Mahakaal (1993) - Rating: 4/5

Who knew a Hindi rip-off of A Nightmare on Elm Street would be this much fun!? It hits all the beats while giving them their own Bollywood spin, and the musical numbers make it feel all the more off-kilter. Despite the average Bollywood runtime of 2.5 hours, it never drags and is always entertaining. Loved it!

18th - October Madness No.30

[​IMG]
    Halloween Kills (2021) - Rating: 3/5

Yes, the plot of this movie is dumb and the direction continuously hits you over the head, but I had a blast watching Michael Myers turn into an unstoppable supernatural killing machine ala Jason Vorhees.

19th - October Madness No.31

[​IMG]
    Slash Dance (aka Slashdance) (1989) - Rating: 0.5/5

Jay Richards and a couple of G.L.O.W. wrestlers can't save this Z-grade late-80s DTV turd. Cheap, poorly directed, and with only 1% of any actually horror elements (or slashing), this is basically 80 mins of watching women in aerobics gear doing poorly choreographed dance routines that they look like they are making up on the spot. It makes the aerobics scene in Science Crazed feel like Citizen Kane by comparison. The VHS cover of this one is a classic, but the movie is fit for the pit!

19th - October Madness No.32

[​IMG]
    All the Colors of the Dark (1972) - Rating: 3/5

Sergio Martino was clearly inspired by Rosemary's Baby for this often well-regarded giallo, but it just didn't fully click with me. It's got some great style and plot twists, but it just never fully excites like I was hoping.

20th - October Madness No.33

[​IMG]
    The Sentinel (1976) - Rating: 3.5/5

Michael Winner's fine-tuned direction (though he was a tyrant to his cast and crew) elevates this religious horror flick, with it's amazing locations, stellar cast (wow, what a cast!), and intriguing premise that culminates in a truly creepy final act (though, possibly a bit too exploitative as well). Some amazing imagery scattered throughout, this one's a classic.

21st - October Madness No.34

[​IMG]
    Castle of the Creeping Flesh (1968) - Rating: 2/5

If you like open heart surgery medical stock footage, this flick is for you! Adrian Hoven produced Euro-sleaze that's mostly cheap and boring, with a convoluted plot that takes its sweet time to unravel despite easily being figured out. The bear attack scene is hilariously inept though!

21st - October Madness No.35

[​IMG]
    Possession (1981) - Rating: 4.5/5 (Rewatch)

Got to see this on the big screen at the local indie theatre showing the new Metrograph 4K restoration. Still a complete masterpiece and still just as nerve-shattering and head-scratching on a second viewing as the first, there is just so much going on on top and under the surface of this movie.

22nd - October Madness No.36

[​IMG]
    Them! (1954) - Rating: 3.5/5

Can't believe I'd never seen this '50s creature feature until now - it's a lot of fun with some great effects! Giant ants on a rampage, this is one of the best post-nuclear bomb Hollywood B-pictures out there!

22nd - October Madness No.37

[​IMG]
    I Know Who Killed Me (2007) - Rating: 1.5/5

Lindsay Lohan plays a stripper who can't dance and wakes up missing some limbs in a hospital, but is told she is someone else. So she has to figure out who she is, and who might be dismembering and killing all these ladies in the area. Insanely dumb, this Hollywood torture-porn lite flick is incredibly bad (sometimes good-bad) and is one of those movies you have to scratch your head as to how it got greenlit as a studio picture.

23rd - October Madness No.38

[​IMG]
    The Bat (1958) - Rating: 2/5

There's a prowler out there with a razor claw glove who's calling card is unleashing a bat in your room before attacking, but what exactly is he after? This '50s murder mystery B-movie, based on a play, is mostly by-the-numbers and boring, but has a few charms, including Vincent Price dressed in plaid flannel and Darla from the original Little Rascals as a murder victim.

24th - October Madness No.39

[​IMG]
    Speak of the Devil (aka The Ungodly) (1989) - Rating: 3/5

Speak of the Devil is an unholy comedy of horrors! It plays and looks like a Fred Olen Ray or Rick Sloane joint, but the laughs actually happen! And it's got some genuine (yet cheap) horror effects and gore gags that work too. Crazy to think this is from the director of Pets, which is an exploitation classic in it's own right but completely different from this cheesball horror comedy. This was far better than it had any right to be, kinda like a more late-80s R-rated version of Saturday the 14th.

25th - October Madness No.40

[​IMG]
    The Wind (aka Edge of Terror) (1986) - Rating: 2.5/5

Meg Foster plays a horror novelist who takes a solo trip to a small Greek ocean-side village to write her new book. She's told that the wind can pick up and become dangerous, but she's now also got to worry about the handyman (Wings Hauser) who she's just seen murder her landlord. Surprisingly taut and well-directed cat-and-mouse thriller where the game and all cards are laid on the table very quickly into the first act. It does loose some steam, but it's still not a bad Nico Mastorakis horror thriller with Wings Hauser being the nutty and unhinged Wings Hauser.

26th - October Madness No.41

[​IMG]
    Mr. Vampire (1985) - Rating: 3.5/5

Sammo Hung-produced Hong Kong martial arts horror comedy, Mr. Vampire is full of kinetic action, goofy comedy, and some genuinely creepy and interesting horror elements. Quite enjoyed it's bat-shit craziness!

27th - October Madness No.42

[​IMG]
    V/H/S/94 (2021) - Rating: 3.5/5

V/H/S/94 is by far the best entry in the series as I though ALL the segments, and even the wrap-around, worked - with Terror (the fascist militia vampire tale) being the highlight ! I had fun with each tape, where as each previous entry in this series I though had a dud or two. Still, Timo's tale from V/H/S/2 might be the highlight of the series, but '94 is a solid and fun time and thoroughly enjoyable, so keep 'em coming!

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

2.5 hours? I think in India that still qualifies it as a short.

indrid13, dave13 and MorallySound like this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 33:
    Eyes Without a Face (1960)
    First Time Viewing (HBO Max)
    **** (out of 5)
    27. ARTIFICIAL LIMBS: Robot arms, wooden legs or even a transplanted thing…whatever grabs you.

Definitely enjoyed this French classic, just not sure how I felt about the carnival music used as one of the main themes.

18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Yeah, it got no human grace, such a human waste, those eyes without a face.

indrid13 and satans-sadists like this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

You're not missing much with Rocktober Blood. In the words of Sammi Curr: "No False Metal."

Rocker10, indrid13 and Angelman like this.
  20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I found Neill Blomkamp's terrific short film "RAKKA" on Netflix. It was terror-ific. I want more!

fattyjoe37, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.