Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

The website reopened and they have The Lamp aka The Outing for preorder wasn't gonna get anymore titles from vengar for awhile but The Outing is hard to pass up.

Katatonia, Steel76 and baggio like this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I just realized that Shout put this out about 5 years ago. Part of a double feature with Godsend. Is this VS first reissue from competitor Shout?

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Also Killer's Delight and Through the Fire:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/killers-delight

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/through-the-fire

The former has been on my wish list for the longest time - it's gritty, and the scenes of the Ted Bundy-like serial killer engaging his victims are unsettling and surprisingly veristic.

The latter I am completely unfamiliar with - but definitely intrigued.

For some reason, I remember not being crazy about The Lamp (it has kinda the same vibe as Mausoleum, which wasn't my cup of tea either), but it should make a lot of fans very happy:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-lamp-aka-the-outing

Also of interest is that German label Subkultur now has an American branch, with their first release being a modern day (as in 1970's) western crime thriller - on UHD, no less:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/subkultur-usa/products/deadlock-subkultur-usa

Katatonia likes this.
  4. fceurich39

It says never on video 92 min cut

baggio and Katatonia like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Previous blu-ray was just shy of 89 mins, so three more minutes.

I was expecting July to be a lite month, but this is a solid line-up. I don't even mind the double-dip on The Outing, as it looks like they went all out.

I've never even heard of Through The Fire but it looks like crazy fun. Can't wait!

Also added Rancho Deluxe from Fun City to my monthly package.

baggio, SilentScreams and fceurich39 like this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Awesome news... I absolutely LOVE The Outing. :):):)

The documentary should be awesome, glad it's finally getting some bonus features.

I put in an order for Rancho Deluxe & Deadlock to add to my monthly subscription. The 50% sub coupon certainly comes in handy.

Has anyone seen Golden Arm?: https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/golden-arm-utopia?variant=39452605055018

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    fceurich39 likes this.
  7. fceurich39

Put in an order for the Lamp,Christmas evil,grave secrets today!

Katatonia likes this.
  8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, says 92 cut. But it's still the same movie they are reissuing. That was the question.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Caught a few of the movies I bought back at the Halfway sale.

Nurse Sherri. My first Al Adamson movie. And likely my last. Geez was it ever boring! That shot of a knife-wielding Sherri covered in blood comes up only at the very end of the movie, an hour and twenty minutes that only seems like double that.

The Candy Tangerine Man. Now this one I was really digging. Pretty rough print it was taken from, but it only helps with the 70s vibe. Unfortunately, I was pretty tired when watching it, so rather than force myself to stay awake for the final 45 minutes, I put it aside. Will give it a full run again in a few weeks.

Spellcaster. Bought this because 80s New Wave icons Richard Blade and Adam Ant are in it. And, well, they are. The script has "wrote it over the weekend" all over it. Ant doesn't come in till the very end, which I'm fine with, but if you're expecting a big battle between the villain and the final girl, you'll be majorly disappointed. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's said "That's it?" when the credits rolled. Too bad. I mean, it's cheesy, but at least it's never boring.

Angelman likes this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Nurse Sherri promises delivers nothing it promises and is a colossal bore.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

So that's how your date went, eh?

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Well, I like a good sleazy 70s movie in a kitschy way as much as the next guy but Nurse Sherri is just excruciatingly slow and the actors painfully lacking in any charm.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I think between my worst blue ball date and watching Nurse Sherri again, I'd opt for the aching scrotum.

Angelman likes this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

They didn't mention this during the Halfway sale, but apparently Candy Tangerine Man/Lady Cocoa is permanently out of print, not just merely out of stock. So glad I got it! Like I said, I was nodding off and chose not to finish it, but I was really enjoying it. Pretty good blaxploitation going on there.

Myron Breck likes this.
  15. fceurich39

Got the lamp today slipcover is gorgeous!

Katatonia and satans-sadists like this.
  16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Oh wow, so glad I got it at the last sale. I haven't seen the main feature but caught Lady "Pop Goes the Weasel" Cocoa on Prime (I'm assuming this transfer is better than theirs).

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I actually didn't preview Lady Cocoa, but Candy Tangerine Man was actually one of the least impressive VS transfers I've seen. It's clearly taken from a theatrical print, and I have no doubt they did the absolute best they could with it, but it's still pretty scratched up. Like I said in my brief review of it though, that only lends to the "grindhouse" atmosphere.

18. Kim Bruun

Having watched both Scanner Cop and Scanner Cop II, I am happy with my purchase. Predictably, the presentation of both is amazing. The movies may not be the biggest cult titles in Vinegar Syndrome's catalogue, so I'm guessing that VS chose them for a 4k presentation because the source material was of such quality that it justified the expense.

That said, both movies are enjoyable, with Daniel Quinn being a compelling lead. He's got these big, nervous eyes, and when he goes into scanning mode, everything looks like it's about to pop - eyes, veins sweat glands, you name it! The first one pits him against Richard Lynch, which is great, and his female henchwoman. She's a psychic - but not a scanner, apparently, which is odd. She also looks like a cross between Daryl Hannah and Courteney Cox, and her performance is a bit over the top. Scanner Cop II pits our hero against another scanner, played by Patrick Kilpatrick. He also chews up the scenery, but does so with much more menace than his counterparts in the first one, easily matching Quinn in facial gymnastics. This guy's face just works for me, wide grin, smooshed nose, wild eyes, and all! In terms of effects, we get a lot of the expanding bladders under latex which I remember from the original Scanners - you can see how the effect is achieved, but it's still kinda cool. Both movies have exploding heads, and II goes for additional gooiness when the villainous Volkin discovers a new application for his scanning powers:
    He basically sucks the lifeforce out of other scanners, leaving a melted husk. One woman is even sucked halfway through the metal lattice of her front door!
    Oh, and II also has Robert Forster, but he doesn't get to do much but comment on the action and sit behind a desk. But don't let that discourage you, both movies are fast-paced and fun. Recommended!

satans-sadists and othervoice1 like this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I would be interested in picking up this Scanner Cop double feature, but $60.00 is an outrageously high asking price. All of the boutique labels are getting increasingly expensive to collect. I can't become a subscriber either. Vinegar Syndrome just doesn't release nearly enough titles I am into.

hots4 and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. Kim Bruun

Vinegar Syndrome and I went through a dry spell where most of there selections were misses for me, but recently, maybe the last year or so, they've been putting out so many must-haves as well as a few pleasant surprises. Killer's Delight and Beyond Dream's Door were MAJOR titles on my wish list. The Scanner Cop set falls under 'pleasant surprise', and for two UHD discs, I find the price tag acceptable. I still don't subscribe, because there are still a lot of releases where - in terms of personal preference - I can't justify the expense or shelf space. But that's my relationship with every boutique label. I'm not a completist. The point of my collection is to have movies I like and will watch again.

satans-sadists likes this.