Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Btw., I don't remember who turned me on to Dear Dead Delilah, but THANK YOU! I really enjoyed this one. For what is basically a murder mystery involving money, it's surprisingly twisted and gory. There's chopped off limbs and heads, and a pretty gruesome shotgun blast to the face. This movie really belongs to the women. The dying matriarch of a rich Southern family, played by a vinegary Agnes Moorehead, has basically disinherited everyone, sending the rest of the family scrambling for a hidden treasure. I love this. Long dead Papa was no doubt a crook, and probably a bit of a racist, but he was progressive about one thing: Of all his children, he realized that the most competent to handle the family finances was his daughter, Delilah. Not his son, who wastes his money on women and gambling, but his daughter. Papa was a feminist before it was cool. Way to go, Papa! The film's unlikely protagonist is Luddy, who has spent her entire adult life in prison for the murder of her mother. Having been taken on as Delilah's carer, Luddy seems sweet, gentle, and totally reformed, at least until she starts waking up with bloody axes in her bed. So, has Luddy defaulted to her murderous ways?
    Any suspicions the audience might have are quickly diffused. In a fun twist, though, Luddy is more than willing to help cover up the first murder with the guy she herself suspects, because: "I killed my mother and if the police come snooping around here, they're gonna assume it was me, and I don't wanna go to jail again."
    One thing that puzzled me about the casting of young Luddy when I first saw clips from the movie was that she appeared to have a lazy eye - a condition which the adult Luddy does not have (though the movie makes her look significantly older than mid 40's). The Vinegar Syndrome presentation clarified that for me. Apparently, young Luddy had received a good smack on the head from her mother, giving her a black eye.

I'd lump Dear Dead Delilah with other proto-slashers, such as Savage Weekend, Blood and Lace, Alice, Sweet Alice, and Silent Night, Bloody Night, all of which I really like. It's also got a bit of the same vibe as Scalpel, but that may just be the Southern setting and the whole dysfunctional family thing.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

You got me intrigued, just found a second hand copy on amazon cheap, so I bit the bullet and purchased. Looking forward to it.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Awesome - glad to have piqued your interest! I hope you like it, and that you'll share your thoughts here. One thing I forgot: One character takes an axe to the face. The aftermath isn't shown. Until the credits roll. An odd choice to say the least, though the effect is pretty good.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Like you, I also have not desire to attain a complete collection of any label. Cherry picking works for me most of the time, but even still, I end up with occasional buyer's remorse on some purchases (especially with Vinegar Syndrome). I don't plan to go UHD with my movie collection. That's obviously why Scanner Cop costs so much & I have zero interest at paying that just to watch them on Blu-ray.

wago70 and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Kim Bruun

So, I am now two thirds through the René Cardona Jr. set, having watched Treasure of the Amazon last week and The Bermuda Triangle just now. I have a real issue with Cardona as a director. No, it's not the animal cruelty, though I don't like that either. It's his insistence on building his movies around something he's terrible at, namely: Characters. Treasure is cluttered with too many characters. The Donald Pleasance character in could have been left out and made for a leaner, more fast-paced movie. He barely interacts with the principals anyway. That said, Treasure is better paced and ends on a dirty punchline. Bermuda Triangle, on the other hand, devotes most of its running time to character dynamics and is nearly two hours of pure tedium. The flat dubbing of many of the characters may be part of the issue, but when a movie really should be about the mysterious disappearances of ships and planes, I don't give a rat's ass about the dysfunctional marriage of a doctor who drinks too much and his snarky wife. A teenaged boy calls a truly ancient dude 'Dad' in what is perhaps the biggest mystery of all. A little girl predicts the order in which the characters will die, but this plot device is poorly developed and fails to generate any kind of spookiness. Treasure has similar issues with its head hunters. They are presented as an obstacle for the characters to overcome, a feature of the jungle, rather than the main threat. But again, Treasure is the more energetic movie of the two. I don't think can make through Cyclone. Two hours of Cardona doing what he does worst, i.e. tension between characters? :confused: I will say that I did enjoy Cardona's Tintorera. But... Tintorera isn't overladen with too many principals, and the Scorpion release contains the international cut, which eliminates about half an hour of character stuff. I'm glad to have the Cardona set, and I'm still looking forward the Code Red release of Guyana: Cult of the Damned. But... for crazy Mexican horror exploitation, I think most will get more mileage out of the Rubén Galindo Jr. titles which are already out from Vinegar Syndrome.

russweiss likes this.
  6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Cyclone is at least better than Bermuda by a longshot, but it's still not a great movie - it's overly talky, as is the majority of Cardona Jr.'s work. However, for a very low-budget flick filmed back-to-back with Bermuda I was quite impressed with some of the scale and excitement it brought to some of the aspects it created for the disaster movie genre on its budget and schedule - primarily the mileage they got out of the airplane they used, including actually sinking it in the ocean, and some good shark action. It is worth at least one watch and it has a few well-worth checking out moments, but yeah it needs a good 30 mins cut out... If you've made it through 2/3rds of the boxset you gotta at least finish it!

Kim Bruun likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think there are two more Cardona boxsets on the way, rumored to be both this year.

I've only watched Treasure so far.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched 'Don't Panic' tonight. Jesus what an absolute piece of shit, their are no redeeming qualities for this, well apart from the end! Just awful!.

9. Kim Bruun

I've heard others say Cyclone is the weakest of the bunch. Plus, you say, 'talky', and that fills me with dread. The dialogue was what truly sank Bermuda Triangle for me. All empty platitudes, lifelessly delivered. If you're gonna pad the running time with talk, you don't have to pad it all the way to two hours. I'll no doubt watch it eventually, but my enthusiasm has been tempered.

It only gets rougher from here! Just kidding, though I'd rather have Home Grown Horrors: Volume Two than The Cardona Collection Vol. 2. Did you like Treasure of the Amazon, though?

Don't Panic is easily the weakest of the three Galindo titles, but I do think you're being a bit hard on it. I really liked the scene where Virgil draws Michael, dinosaur pajamas and all, to the hospital for a bloody kill. Have you seen Ladrones de Tumbas and Cemetery of Terror?

10. CPT HOOK

I thought it was way too long. It did pick up a bit in the last 30 mins or so, but the first hour was pretty dull. In the grand scheme of jungle horror / adventure movies, it didn't leave much of an impression.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

[​IMG]

It sounds like The Invisible Maniac is definitely coming later this year from VS: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Invisible-Maniac-Blu-ray/292276/

I watched The Lamp (The Outing) and Through the Fire this past week. The Lamp/The Outing looks and sounds the best it ever has... even though the original negative couldn't be located. An Interpositive was used, and the detail and colors blow away the Shout Factory Blu-ray, which basically looked like crap to begin with. The original Dolby Stereo track sounds better than ever too, awesome matrixed through Dolby Surround Pro Logic on a receiver. The audio literally sounded "Mono" on the old Shout Blu-ray. It makes for a far more immersive experience. Plus this is now the longest cut available now, as they reintegrated some extra extended "bits" they found on some film element reels at MGM. The documentary and audio commentary are both quite enlightening as well. I've been a fan of the film since it first came out in the 80's, yet knew next to nothing about the actual production of the film before this.

Through the Fire was pretty fun, even though I'd never seen it previously. The Gates of Hell Part II: Dead Awakening cut of the film is pretty laughable though, cut by the distributor and without any input from the filmmakers. It's included in SD on the disc... and besides a dumb opening "narration" sequence, the overall film is not much different, except for the fact that some nudity and blood/gore was actually cut out. Why you would re-title the film that and then "censor" it beggars why.

fceurich39 likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

Auntie Lee's Meat Pies is one of those movies I had been looking for an affordable VHS of for years (by affordable, I mean $10 or less, because I'm a cheapskate and that's my VHS price point), and eventually stopped looking.

So VS is here doing the Lord's work. Solid August line-up.

Anyone seen the VSA Whatever It Takes? Doesn't look like my thing, but I own every VSA so far, so...

baggio and X-human like this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've seen Ladrones de Tumbas and I enjoyed it, not seen Cemetery of Terror yet but I do own a copy.

If you can find enjoyment in don't panic then I'm glad for you, for me I painted it as I found it and I found it bad!

Kim Bruun likes this.
  14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up last Gasp at my record store I thought it was really cool fun film. They also have Beastmaster 4k bluray 3 disc combo set I may go back for that Tuesday if they get in butcher baker nightmare maker.

15. Kim Bruun

Fair enough. I agree that Don’t Panic is the weakest of the three, not least because of the lame opening act and the romantic schmaltz. Cemetery adds kids to the mix, but otherwise I feel it’s comparable to Ladrones.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

ironically the romantic schmaltz had the one fun moment for me, but as expected it was unintentional. It was when she wants him to meet her family and he says he can't do it today and he'll do it tomorrow, most people would agree and move on, she has a fit and says she never wants to see him again! This had me laughing quite a bit, I was screaming at the TV, 'Stay away', if she gets this upset over something so trivial imagine where she could go!!!!! A proper bunny boiler right there! Also she had the weirdest eyebrows ever, I kept expecting the move to take a dramatic shift and for her to turn into a werewolf!!!! :)

Zombie Dude and Kim Bruun like this.
  17. Kim Bruun

Apparently, a bushy unibrow was considered the height of beauty in Mexico at the time.

hots4 likes this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

With the announcement of MVD releasing a Jack Frost: Collector's Edition on 12/14/2021, VS has confirmed that their edition has gone OOP and what they have in store is the final stock.

19. Kim Bruun

Just watched my copy of Killer's Delight aka The Dark Ride aka The Sports Killer last night. I've been bringing this title up for years in the Code Red thread over on Blu-ray.com, and Bill Olsen repeatedly said something along the lines of "director isn't interested," or "the director is retired." I assume Bill's rights to it expired and that it was the licensed to Vinegar Syndrome. And it couldn't have landed in better hands. It looks great. Colors are vibrant and detail is excellent. The audio side is equally impressive, and the dialogue is crisp and clear. I haven't gone through all the extras, but there is a lot of new material.

Vinegar Syndrome labels it as a proto-slasher, but I think of it more as an early serial killer police procedural - admittedly rooted in exploitation - much like Don't Answer the Phone! and the obviously inferior Drive-In Massacre and Massage Parlor Murders. Killer's Delight is not flawless. There's some day-for-night that doesn't quite work, and apparently, the reason behind the killer's fractured psyche is that his mother cheated on his father. Why aren't there more killers running around? That said, James Luisi is a fantastic lead - even when his old-school machismo is challenged by an overly affectionate male hypnotist or by ungallantly charging into the ladies' shower stalls at the public pool. There are also some creepily realistic scenes of the killer picking up hitchhikers. One requests to be dropped off at the nearest payphone, but when her ride casually passes a payphone, she realizes her peril. It's a subtly alarming moment that reminds me of that scene in Zodiac where the killer picks up a mother stranded on a deserted highway and fails to drop her off where they agreed. Killer's Delight also does a great job of establishing location, from the neony streets at night to the gorgeous aerial shot of the city and its surrounding landscape. There is a sense of vastness, like there are a million places where our killer could hide. That, and the veristic approach to the killer's M.O., gives the movie a chilling sense of authenticity, despite the fact that the psychology is bunk and that the investigation hinges more than a bit on dumb luck. Still a favorite with me!

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Comparisons are up for The Lamp (The Outing): https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=6166

Even though the negatives are MIA, it still looks far better than the crappy Shout transfers... not to mention the huge audio upgrade, and longer cut.